I've lost my virginity...

Wonderful, wonderful album. The Leper Affinity is my personal favourite though, it's utterly powerful and brilliant. The growls will grow on you, as will each song in time. Don't stop with BWP, get every other album you can find, you'll be glad you did.

chaveta said:
the master took the words right out of my mouth
"unto you i whisper
the wildest dreams...
IN THE COLDNESS OF NIIIIGGGHHHTTT

YYYYYAAAAAWWWHHHH"

TTIMR is my favorite song
headbob.gif

Beth said:
Very good advice. He's right :)
It took me forever to get into all of it at first, but when it happened.....oh boy....

ahahahahahah ...oh boy indeed

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
...to fantastic music that is!!! Remember me? the guy who was asking what album to bey first? Well yesterday I got BwP and I fucking love it!!! This is great stuff. I really like the melodic, acoustic shit and how it is a contrast to the heavy, progressive metal parts. I still don't dig the growls but I can sure live with it. The guitarists go beyond useing simple power chords and create soundscapes with the chords and tri-tones they use.
Oh yeah! Opeth is your new favourite band!

You will get to love the growls in a few months. I haven't got a lot by Opeth so... just get anything from now on. Their new album, Damnation doesn't have growls or even heavy metal guitars.

PS... Why are there so few Symphony X fans on the Opeth forum here? The only person other than me who I know visits both SyX and Opeth forums is Mr. Shreddy-didle.

OMG Dodens Grav! COB is one of the other Death/Black metal bands I'm starting out with (like you did)

Don't believe what everyone says about Orchid. It's much more primitive, and the only Opeth album I don't love. Maybe I haven't listened to it enough, but judging from your post, I'd say you should get them all - Still Life, Deliverance, Damnation, MYAH, Morningrise - and THEN Orchid, last. Just my opinion.

Orchid is primitive in production. The music is still outstanding! Forests of October, TTIMR, and The Apostle in Triumph are some of the very best Opeth songs to this day. Those 3 songs are put together so well you just have to hear it to believe it. His vocals kick ass too! Hard to believe they were so young writing an album with such musical vision.

oh man, the wind-like growls in The Apostle in Triumph are the shiitit!!!

oooohhhhh oooooohhhhhh ARRRRRR

IN THIS FORRRESSTTTT
WHERE WOLVES CRY THEIR AGONY UNTO THE MOOONNNN

fucking masterful.

If you really dug BP, you'll probably be kinda let down by the shitty production on Orchid and Morningrise (Ooooh, I KNOW I'll catch heat for that one!).

IMO, Opeth didn't start getting a good sound on tape until My Arms, Your Hearse, even though the songwriting on their first two albums was stellar as well.

Get Still Life next. That album turned me onto Opeth. I have all their albums, and it's still my fav.

Still Life, people who say not to get Still Life are retarded. Orchid is awesome too, but get Morningrise before Orchid. This my suggested "which albums should I get next list"

BWP
Still Life
Morningrise
MAYH
Orchid
Deliverance
Damnation