Jam Bands

sonofhendrix13

some loser
Jul 1, 2004
Gloucester, MA
I've been getting into some jam bands lately, most I just can't get that into but there are some I really love. I like mostly classic jam bands like The Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead but I'm also into some newer ones like Gov't Mule, moe., Phish and The Mars Volta. What do you think of them? Recommend me some similar bands.

True, true. The only thing I don't like about em is that you HAVE to listen to them in one sitting. Pausing in the middle of a 30 minute track and coming back to it later just doesn't feel right.

Warheart666 said:
True, true. The only thing I don't like about em is that you HAVE to listen to them in one sitting. Pausing in the middle of a 30 minute track and coming back to it later just doesn't feel right.

indeed

and for Jam bands I advise whovever started this thread to try The Village Vanguard Boxset by John Coltrane... Now that's JAMMING § :hotjump:

I'm a Grateful Dead fanatic to the max, but would not call myself a Deadhead. I also dig the shyte of the Mars Volta, and have seen them twice (both times were amazing).

ElectricWiz said:
I'm a Grateful Dead fanatic to the max, but would not call myself a Deadhead.

Kind of the same here. I've seen Phish 84 times, but I'm a metalhead through and through.

I'd recommend a band called Umphrey's McGee. They're a jamband, but they sound like a cross between, to me, moe. and Primus. They have more of a "metal" sound, in some ways, and they cover some cool bands. The night after Dime died they did a "Cowboys From Hell" medley, they've done "...And Justice For All," Fugazi's "Waiting Room," and some Zeppelin. They keep it interesting, IMO.

Funny about seeing Phish so many times, I'm not even a big jamband fan, haha. moe.'s cool every once in a while. They're good live maybe every other time I've seen them. Gotta love the Dead, though. I've been listening to a lot of JGB, you know, when I'm not listening to Opeth. heh.

Bungle said:
Kind of the same here. I've seen Phish 84 times, but I'm a metalhead through and through.

I'd recommend a band called Umphrey's McGee. They're a jamband, but they sound like a cross between, to me, moe. and Primus. They have more of a "metal" sound, in some ways, and they cover some cool bands. The night after Dime died they did a "Cowboys From Hell" medley, they've done "...And Justice For All," Fugazi's "Waiting Room," and some Zeppelin. They keep it interesting, IMO.

Funny about seeing Phish so many times, I'm not even a big jamband fan, haha. moe.'s cool every once in a while. They're good live maybe every other time I've seen them. Gotta love the Dead, though. I've been listening to a lot of JGB, you know, when I'm not listening to Opeth. heh.

84 times? Thats fucking insane.

I suppose a lot of Frank Zappa's music could loosely be described as jam music.
His bands were so highly rehearsed that they could improvise around the song's basic structure, adding different vocals, fills etc depending on the location in which they were playing.
All of his solos were improvised, and they are some of the greatest examples of non linear/ non formulaic guitar playing i have ever heard. :headbang:

recommended albums for jam fans would be Guitar, Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, Apostrophe and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol.2