Japan blows my mind again

I can't stand it at all. I can't believe this is the same band that did "Deep Exceed." Well, it's not. That new singer has to go. I didn't like it when Nightwish fans did it to Anette, but in this case, Re:NO is ruining the band (and Kristen agrees with me to a degree, she didn't like Re:No either).

BTW did your friend ever go to Japan?

I love cheesy pop like this but it's so different from their usual style. I can imagine they will lose alot of their metal fans, but gain alot of J-pop fans if this is going to be their style from now on.

I have a friend going there in September. A different friend tho! Ha ha!!

Meanwhile, the former singer continues to improve and make better music. Check out this new sample. Kristen, you like?

Last edited by a moderator:
This new Aldious song is not bad. The new drummer is really impressive. She and the bassist are the musical talents of the band. Yoshi writes great songs but she's no Orianthi. Or Nita. Or Courtney.

Cat, and anyone else who cares, my latest all-girl metal discovery: BrideaR. Common gimmick over there to run two words together (bride and dear) and capitalize other letters than the first.

Cat did your friend ever go to Japan?

This is going to be my favorite album of the year, I can feel it. Seriously, everyone check out this preview of the new Mary's Blood album.

EDIT: I should add that these girls opened for the Maidens on this past summer's Japan trip.

Well ok, tell her to get the first two Aldious albums, "Deep Exceed" and "Determination." The other two are with the crap singer. :)

Yeah, I've really soured on her.

So Cat, did your friend get some music?

It's been a long time since I updated this thread. Aldious have a new record called "Radiant A." The first song, "Re:Fire" is awesome. The rest is mediocre. The new drummer is good but the singer just stinks up the band. So here's an instrumental. :)

YouTube are being real dicks. They have a new service called YouTube Red, which you pay $9.99 a month. Anyone who doesn't sign up for it has their videos blocked. Serious. A whole bunch of Japanese bands have refused to take part and are now no longer available on regular YouTube. Just amazing greed on YouTube's part. Mary's Blood is one band blocked, but this live video got through. Hard to believe their guitarist is just 22 years old and plays like that.

And here is an interesting new band, Disqualia. It's made up of ex-members of Destrose, like Mary's Blood, and I like them better than Destrose.

And if you want to hear something really ridiculous from the guys, check out Galneryus. DragonForce, anyone?

This is a treat, I think a lot of folks will enjoy it.

Last October there was a women's music event and these four got together for a one-off performance. You can see the sheet music stands on stage so they didn't have much time. The band is Rie aka Suzaku on guitar, Miyuki on bass (she is Marty Friedman's touring bassist), an 18-year-old drum prodigy named Senri Kawaguchi (who leads her own jazz band consisting of men old enough to be her father) and a keyboardist whose name I don't remember but is also well known. The result is a modern-day Return to Forever. Sorry Kirsten, no singing, but this is still amazing.

Some live videos of Mary's Blood, the band that opened for TIMs on the last Japan tour. This band puts on one hell of a show. I really wish they would make a push outside of Japan.

I thought I'd update this since there was prior interest.

Aldious have been stable since Marina joined on drums. I'm still not sold on the new singer.

Mary's Blood, who opened for TIMs on the last tour, are working on a new album. Someone uploaded their live video to Dailymotion and you can see how killer they are live.

Disqualia broke up. Their bassist was suffering panic attacks before shows and the singer left because she didn't want to be the band leader, nor did anyone else.

Bridear have become a favorite. They have the best guitar duo.

There is a cool new band called Lovebites. The singer is heavily influenced by Lzzy Hale. This is the fourth band featuring multiple former members of Destrose. That band couldn't hold a lineup to save its life.

And Gacharic Spin remains my favorite band of adorable hyperactive lunatics.

They got a new single that attempts to channel 70s funk but I don't care for it. I'll let you decide.

Hope you enjoy. Japan has an amazing scene for women musicians. We need more of that here.

Been meaning to update this. A new band called Lovebites made their debut a few months back. It features two ex-Destrose members, which brings to 4 the number of bands founded by former members of Destrose, a record. Lovebites are unabashed fans of European power metal and take their cues from Helloween and Iron Maiden. Bassist Miho is a top graduate of the Steve Harris School of Galloping Bass. They even have a song called "Scream for Me." So I knew they would go over well here.

They all speak English, which will be a huge help. Guitarist Mi-ya is a Dean endorsee and is at the NAMM show. And look who she ran into.

DUcVd8LU0AAOly7.jpg

Maiden fans, you will love this band. And it's on iTunes.