Japan Setlist: Wednesday 27th Aug

does anyone else other than me rather opeth stop touring altogether and instead devote that touring time into creating new albums, or new projects?

No.

Seeing Opeth live is one of the greatest things ever.

Also, I think if Mike saturated his time with writing the result would be very dry.

does anyone else other than me rather opeth stop touring altogether and instead devote that touring time into creating new albums, or new projects?

No, lol. You know they'll release another album eventually, and live experiences are just simply amazing.

Are you serious? Thats just stupid.

You do know that most bands make 95% of their money touring?? They get barely any money from CD sales.

Plus, absolutely NOTHING beats a live show from a great band such as Opeth.

nothing except a new cd - i dont care how great the show is, id rather something new

also, there are plenty of bands that dont perform live that survive, and there are bands that tour quite often and still need second jobs. besides, mike said they only started touring for blackwater park, and they made great albums/survived before then.

If I had to choose between going to the Sydney gig on the 6th or hearing Opeth's 10th album (somehow) I'd choose the gig.

Patience, friend.

nothing except a new cd - i dont care how great the show is, id rather something new

also, there are plenty of bands that dont perform live that survive, and there are bands that tour quite often and still need second jobs. besides, mike said they only started touring for blackwater park, and they made great albums/survived before then.

Thats a bit selfish don't you think?

Yes, there are plenty of bands that do not tour but still put out albums, but they have part-time jobs to fund it.
Opeth most likely started out like this (like most bands would and still do) but now they have reached a point where they are big enough to earn a living off of it without needing a second job.

Why would they go back to this? It makes no sense at all.

Its important for them to tour. If it were a very big band like Metallica for example they could probably earn enough from album sales and royalties alone to live off.

Plus what band doesn't like to play live? Its a thrill.

Muhaha, I've set up a playlist with the set list and it's awesome. It has a really nice flow to it, it progresses really nicely and cant wait to see it on the night... that is if it stays the same.

Thats a bit selfish don't you think?

Yes, there are plenty of bands that do not tour but still put out albums, but they have part-time jobs to fund it.
Opeth most likely started out like this (like most bands would and still do) but now they have reached a point where they are big enough to earn a living off of it without needing a second job.

Why would they go back to this? It makes no sense at all.

Its important for them to tour. If it were a very big band like Metallica for example they could probably earn enough from album sales and royalties alone to live off.

Plus what band doesn't like to play live? Its a thrill.

like i said before, to make MORE albums. and how is it selfish? you want them to play live, isnt that selfish too? why arent you thinking about what i want?

i dont like, or have any interest in, playing live. i dont need to impress anyone, and i dont play guitar to impress anyone except myself

That's quite ignorant... especially because Opeth's songs sound MUCH better when played live. They're heavier and you can hear Per and Mendez better and... they're just more awesome!

Vuashke, I have held off saying this but you are making Australia look bad. You must be kidding, Opeth are a phenomenal live band. Nowadays if a band wants to solely live off their band there is a very high chance they HAVE to play live given the state of the music industry. Plus if they enjoy it and are very good at it....why would they not. They have an album every 2-3 years on average which obviously fine. There are plenty of bands who don't play live or do much press but still put an album out at around the same pace as Opeth. People need a break from writing, some bands choose to work/do nothing or tour around the world. A lot of bands don't see this as a chore but a way of life. I guess everyone wants more Opeth studio releases of course, but I'd personally rather Mike take a break and take as much time as he needs to release an album to keep the quality level high. Iyam each album after bwp is slightly worse than the previous (IMO and this isn't necessarily saying they are bad) minus WS which was a little better than GR IMO. Last thing that should happen to Opeth is stop playing live and start putting albums out faster. That's just :erk:. If anything take longer. IMO I'd rather wait another 3-4 years for another album in the same league as mayh, sl and bwp rather than 2-3 and have an album in the league of the last two.

Yeah, it's clearly only you.

I'd rather get a new album, see them a few times while the album sets in, and rinse and repeat

There are still songs I haven't heard live and it's killing me. Don't know about you, but I really enjoy my live show...a lot :err:

Vuashke, I have held off saying this but you are making Australia look bad. You must be kidding, Opeth are a phenomenal live band. Nowadays if a band wants to solely live off their band there is a very high chance they HAVE to play live given the state of the music industry. Plus if they enjoy it and are very good at it....why would they not. They have an album every 2-3 years on average which obviously fine. There are plenty of bands who don't play live or do much press but still put an album out at around the same pace as Opeth. People need a break from writing, some bands choose to work/do nothing or tour around the world. A lot of bands don't see this as a chore but a way of life. I guess everyone wants more Opeth studio releases of course, but I'd personally rather Mike take a break and take as much time as he needs to release an album to keep the quality level high. Iyam each album after bwp is slightly worse than the previous (IMO and this isn't necessarily saying they are bad) minus WS which was a little better than GR IMO. Last thing that should happen to Opeth is stop playing live and start putting albums out faster. That's just :erk:. If anything take longer. IMO I'd rather wait another 3-4 years for another album in the same league as mayh, sl and bwp rather than 2-3 and have an album in the league of the last two.

if you dont like australia then get out

and to the guy that said live sounds better, lololol. if live sounded better they would have recorded 8 live albums instead of just 1. lololol

^ tool. Have you ever been to a gig? It's not just about the music dumbass, but the atmosphere and the whole experience. To witness some of your favourite songs live can sound much much MUCH better than on record.