Jaska, Janne and Henkka are leaving the band!!!!!

Fuck. Thought it was a bad joke at first, but seeing Charlie's name as the thread starter made me doubt that even before opening the link. Don't really know what to say. Don't really know what I want them to do either. It probably won't feel like COB again, but I'm still not sure if I want them to change the name. Probably not. Will be interesting to see where the music goes after this if they get through it. At least they still have their main composer in the band.

I don't think Alexi will be changing band name, it was more about the name having signified this group of people. Of course if it becomes something very different he could change it to something like Bodom Night which was one of the original name ideas... that name would be nice and short, it contains the 'search word', kind of symbolizes the ending time of the band and says this is not the original band but still a chance to hear their music, and it could also suggest a darker style.

Last edited:
Well, Children of Bodom is 80% about Alexi, 20% rest. And even if 90% of the music comes from Alexi, Children of Bodom is also a band. It wouldn't be a good idea to hold on the bands name if only one guy of the main band left.

Btw, was Bodom actually the most famous band in FIN? And is there a band with more record sales? I'm not sure if Nightwish, HIM or Stratovarius sold more records.

^Certainly Nightwish and HIM were financially more successful, but Bodom has toured most and is the nr 1 metal band. Downfall should be the most 'played' Finnish song that exists.

Ok they got Daniel from Norther, now they can hire Heiki Saari also from Norther and the other members. :D

I mean there are a lot of Bands who quitted the most members, but the Band stays alive. Question is only how long this can work...
Damn, i still dont get it...

Maybe Alexi will do now "The Local Band" and some Guest features...who knows, they should earned enough money.

There's no way Alexi would change the name. Plenty of bands have continued with one original member left like Cradle of Filth, Megadeth(2003-2009), The Faceless, Guns N Roses, Soilwork etc Its usually band members leave individually over a longer period and not all at once.

Btw, was Bodom actually the most famous band in FIN? And is there a band with more record sales? I'm not sure if Nightwish, HIM or Stratovarius sold more records.

Nightwish is the biggest metal band, they have 9 million + album sales and are playing stadiums across the world. There Dark Passion Play album had a budget of half a million which is insane compared to other bands on Spinefarm/Nuclear Blast.

Reactions: <Arcane>
^I just don't consider NW or HIM 'metal.' NW is a whole family band (massive sales) and HIM is a girl band (albeit originally they were about men's heart griefs and really targeted for men, but due to Ville's face and the romantic side of the music the wider target audience soon turned out to be female, which changed their energy from a man's deep sorrow to a girl confused with crush drama on the third album where they lost their purpose), so it's not fair to compare their sales to Bodom. They all made great albums in the beginning tho, and even Bodom had a girl fan phenomena at one point due to FTR having that certain atmosphere and Alexi appealing to the girls like a 'hurt bad boy' back around 2000. Bodom has appealed to many different segments along their first five albums, first neo-classical, then black metal, then atmospheric metal, then thrash metal, then industrial heavy metal... I don't think it's considered cool or popular to like COB among normal people (too raspy vocals for normies, too much keyboards for metal purists), but people who like good music secretly like them. I kinda think COB is biggest of the bands that nobody goes to see for their name (like AC/DC etc), instead you kinda have to be a person who goes to see them for good music despite what others might think.

Last edited:
Warmen's post:
uNPrkXe.png

Jaska:
uCyQ4gg.png

Holy crap...what??? Damn, didn't think that could happen.

There won't be a name change. It just says the current line-up will be no more. Hopefully the future line-up won't include a keyboard, that would be fantastic, unlikely though.

Funny how they word it... "it is time for Henkka, Janne and Jaska to step back and change direction within their lives." Put that way it sounds like they were fired. Eluveitie also had 3 people quit at once because the main guy had some disagreement with the drummer and the other two decided to go with the drummer instead. Could be something like that here as well. Seemed like Alexi has been getting difficult to get along with. Funny though that Daniel stayed of all people. I would have thought Janne would stay since was playing the Alexi sidekick role.

Well, Alexi probably will continue to make music, unless something happens with his health. I don't see Jaska continuing, with his back and everything.

I think Alexi and Daniel have been getting along pretty well and it's seemed to me like Daniel has been Alexi's most intimate musician mate when it came to making new music, when back in the day it was Janne.

Their messages are not what people who are moving on would say. Something definitely went on behind the scenes and all we can do is speculate. Hopefully it's not about money, cause it usually is.

The thing is I'm not really upset at all. They haven't been making good enough records, and their live shows weren't doing it for me anymore.

Now that I'm thinking about it I can see Alexi being crazy enough to fire them, just like Roope. Alexi said he wanted more energy and shit. Maybe he was demanding more from the guys to reboot COB and they were happy just cruising the way things were going.

Who fucking knows. It better not take two years to get a comment like Roope situation.

:(

One of my all time favorite bands. Massive massive bummer! Happy I got to meet them during Hexed tour but still really sad at the outcome.

Reactions: COB-666
Shocking news to say the least. They are the band I've seen the most apart from Maiden, 16 or 17 times I'd have to check...I discovered them opening for Iced Earth on the Hate Crew deathroll touring cycle and they blew me away (and blew Iced Earth off stage for that matter) anyway, Alexi will keep the name for sure. It will feel very weird to see him play with all newbies. It has to be a problem with the money distribution within the band, or lack of .... When things like that happen, it's always money related...

my 2 cents anyway

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Isn't it ironic, guys, that Alexi is one who seems the least energetic on stage, like he seems most tired of them all, but all the other guys quit? Last time I saw them was in 2017 on that 20th anniversary tour and he was pretty much looking like an old dude then, but judging from recent live videos he seems even worse. No headbanging, no energy, just standing and playing and singing. Daniel seems like a nice guy, but let's be honest, he is not really a Bodom guy, he'll never be. These are such sad news, I am starting to feel old too. My favorite band ever just died...

So this all smells like guys wanted to take a break and tour less in future, but Alexi doesn't ever wanna stop until he can't do it physically anymore. Either that or something about money and private disagreements. Because it all happened too suddenly and nothing makes sense anymore.

COB with only Alexi and Daniel and SOME dudes will never be good enough. I am sure they can make some solid music, but metal is dead since long time ago and they will just look like losers who play for money.

And seems like I am starting to believe Roope's words more, maybe he was right after all.

It's a really sad ending for the band...

This shit fuckin sucks man. I've chatted with Anssi Kippo who is the long-time producer of the band and he said that there was no discussion about the reasons. Also he said right before that they were talking about a vinyl release. And he concluded by saying, "I think as you get older and especially when you have kids, it changes the perspective in life. That's only my guess."

So to me it seems like there was a big disagreement among members which occured within this past 2 or 3 days. I still feel sad about me not having been able to see them live :/
I wouldn't want Alexi to play with any other jerks alongside Daniel. I just think that Daniel isn't suitable for the Bodom music style, life style and other shits. I don't know if this would be a total bullshit but I low key would like to see Alexi go solo and even when playing live, playing old Bodom songs with backing tracks but just him doing the leads and vocals. That's just what my heart says.

The Children Of Bodom, the band that made me the man I am today, have played a huge role in my last 10 years ever since I got to know them.
The place that Bodom occupies in my heart will get bigger everytime I listen to those legendary tracks and albums. I wish all of them the best.

Thank you for everything you've done.

That caught me by surprise. Gotta have to agree with the rest, this seems like its about some internal disputes that could not be solved. I don't think its about touring or something like that - otherwise they could've voiced their opinions sooner. Maybe it is about money or the direction/state the band is moving/in.

Nevertheless, its a healthy attitude to draw the line if there's something you don't agree with instead of sucking up. So, while I'll be sad that they'll be gone in their current lineup, it will be for the better, I guess.

I'm eager to know whats next. The next few weeks are gonna be exciting. In my opinion, it's most likely that they'll fill up the spots with live musicians (like in Behemoth with Seth, who is touring with them for over a decace now). If that works would be another chapter.

I wouldn't want Alexi to play with any other jerks alongside Daniel. I just think that Daniel isn't suitable for the Bodom music style, life style and other shits. I don't know if this would be a total bullshit but I low key would like to see Alexi go solo and even when playing live, playing old Bodom songs with backing tracks but just him doing the leads and vocals. That's just what my heart says.

Why you’d rather have guys who don’t even like the music than guys who live and breath it? You need to check your logic. I understand we want old friends to stay despite them walking away, but this is just art, I don’t care if they pick Elton John or some ugly guy next door to play as long as he’s super ethusiastic about the songs, cos that’s how the mood is set to the songs thru minute articulation and emphasizing, and when you know your mates are willing to dive deep it subconsciously encourages you to write epic music.