Jason Bittner seems to be doing a good job

Jason did all of Mayhem

It seems like I'm exaggerating, but I think Jason might have actually done more shows this year.

I'd cut the guy some slack,b hard to know. All the songs note for note

I'm not critisizing. Just observing. People always say that anyone can do Charlie's stuff. Jason is doing a great job all things considered. I'm sure the Drummers here can back this up.

Why were they playing in the parking lot?
Because they were on the second stage. The second and third stages are always in the parking lot at Pine Knob/DTE. The sun and heat were killer that day especially around the second and third stages. DTE is an outdoor partially covered amphitheater with a ginormous hill behind it. The cheaper ticket holders have to stand or sit on the grassy hill quite a ways back from the stage. You can't put a second stage on the hill and the interior walkways around the main stage and hill are filled with vendors so that means any festival extra stages go into the parking lot. The lot is huge and connects to the nearby golf course somehow and I think they used to have skiing there in the winter.

If anybody doesn't know Jason is the drummer for Shadow's Fall. I haven't heard many songs by them but I am going to check out a few songs and buy one of their albums, I think their singer has dreads to his feet.

If anybody doesn't know Jason is the drummer for Shadow's Fall. I haven't heard many songs by them but I am going to check out a few songs and buy one of their albums, I think their singer has dreads to his feet.

He does, and they have many great songs, like Stepping Outside The Circle.

Aside from "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Pet Sematary" the Ramones never had anything else close to being hits.

just off the top of my head...

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
Rockaway Beach
Blitzkrieg Bop
Poison Heart
We Want The Airwaves
Somebody Put Something In My Drink
Do You Remember Rock N' Roll Radio
Rock N' Roll High School
Psycho Therapy

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
Rockaway Beach
Blitzkrieg Bop
Poison Heart
We Want The Airwaves
Rock N' Roll High School
Psycho Therapy

How about I Believe In Miracles

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
Rockaway Beach
Blitzkrieg Bop
Poison Heart
We Want The Airwaves
Rock N' Roll High School
Psycho Therapy

Those are good songs but they're not hits. This is why sometimes you'll see an artist release a "greatest hits" collection and a "best of" collection. "Hits" usually refers to mainstream success.

will Charlie be returning for the 3rd leg of the anthrax/testament/DA shows? he's playing the upcoming metal masters I assume that means he's on the mend.

How about I Believe In Miracles

Yes!

Those are good songs but they're not hits. This is why sometimes you'll see an artist release a "greatest hits" collection and a "best of" collection. "Hits" usually refers to mainstream success.

They are Ramones hits. Just like Caught In A Mosh and the rest of the bands setlist at Mayhem are Anthrax hits. I do agree with your definition of a "hit" though.

Jason did all of Mayhem

It seems like I'm exaggerating, but I think Jason might have actually done more shows this year.
I believe he has. Jason did a couple in South America too if I'm not mistaken...

will Charlie be returning for the 3rd leg of the anthrax/testament/DA shows? he's playing the upcoming metal masters I assume that means he's on the mend.
Joey told me on August 7th not to count on Charlie being back in time for this leg of the tour. I would assume that still holds true.

Update: Joey told me tonight that Charlie will be back only for the US dates. Apparently it would be too difficult for him to leave the country with the legal troubles right now. Jason will fill in for Canada/Europe. Joey said the guys wanted Gene to fill in again, but Testament refused because "Gene's performances with Testament suffered when he did double duty" (...What???).

Well Gene is in their band, and they have dates booked already in the fall, and now he's doing the Dethklok tour too. I don't see how Anthrax would have expected Gene to be able to do it.