Jazz/Fusion recommendations?

x_OPETH_x

Feb 12, 2003
Boston, MA
www.myspace.com
I'm a pretty avid fan of all things jazz-influenced, particularly metal, but i just can't get enough fusion!!!

Here are some of my favorite albums, anything similar that i'm missing?

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (all his stuff pwns me)
Dennis Chambers, Greg Howe, and Victor Wooten - Extraction
CAB - 1 and 2
Allan Holdsworth - (all albums)
Stanley Clarke - School Days
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Yes - Relayer
Al Di Meola - (assorted)

i try to steer away of purely wank-style fusion, the more groove-based, the better....i love those fusion-style chord progressions, i don't really know how else to describe it...

so , i guess, fire away! :headbang:

well, considering that rock music wasn't all that technical until jazz came around (miles davis era), i'd say that pretty much every "technical" metal band could possibly be labeled as jazz-influenced...

a few come to mind immediately...

Gordian Knot
Cynic
Martyr
Coprofago
Meshuggah (in a way)...

etc..

uh. you might have the loosest grasp on music history ive ever come across.

jazz predates rock. rock wasnt influenced by OR incorporated jazz until much later on after its origins. it was blues based, which by nature is actually very simplistic and derivitive in most respects...especially in a context of early rock music. but regardless, that wasnt what i asked about...i asked about metal, not "rock".

jazz predates rock. rock wasnt influenced by OR incorporated jazz until much later on after its origins. it was blues based, which by nature is actually very simplistic and derivitive in most respects...especially in a context of early rock music. but regardless, that wasnt what i asked about...i asked about metal, not "rock".

of course i didn't mean that's when jazz "came around", as in, "was conceived"...i meant it's when it began being fused with rock....i may not know as much as you, but i certainly remember most of my "Music Appreciation" required course...

but back to the topic at hand....i assume you're aware of many bands in the style i'm looking for,

any suggestions?

black sabbath.

buy some weather report if you havnt already, but judging by your list you probably have. imo just expand your current selection by buying some solo stuff from the likes of chick corea and george duke and stanley clarke, you seem to be into those guys with bands like return to forever so you cant really go too wrong. eg. one of my favourite albums is jaco pastorius's self titled so i ended up just buying all his solo stuff and most appearances with other bands i could find, i guess thats all i can say.

I know you said Al Di Meola but if you haven't heard Elegant Gypsy, I would definitely check it out. Unfortunately, I know quite a small amount about jazz-fusion so I guess instead of me giving recommendations, you just gave me a few.

Jazz metal seems like it would be just a bad idea. It'd be like nu-metal with the metal with rap thing. They're just too different to be directly combined and sound good. But maybe there are some prog bands that were influenced by Charlie Parker, then a prog metal band feeds off that prog band. You could say that the prog metal band is thus influenced by jazz but it's arguable.

You've listed my two favorite jazz fusion artists already (Al and Mahavishnu), but check out:
Billy Cobham - Spectrum

It's such a good album. Billy is Mahavishnu's drummer. Also check out Chick Corea. He's really good too and uses a lot of the musicians you've listed. I can't recommend and specific albums by him, because I only have his box set.

I just saw Al Di Meola in concert a month ago! He was soooo good.