Jazz/Fusion recommendations?

maybe you would benefit by applying your knowledge to a place where it would be appreciated, like an academic institution for instance. You seem to post on this forum a lot and from my perspective, tend to get a lot of negative feedback. My suggestion is to either support your points by referencing to some source, or stop wasting the time of people here by acting like you know everything. People on this forum generally have little patience for those that think they know everything, maybe you could benefit from this advice.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion.

ive helped more people than ive ever detracted from, youre just not terribly perceptive or bright apparently.

some recent releases:

Bugge Wesseltoft, Marius Rypdal & Terje Rypdal - Vossabryg
Trio Beyond - Saudades
Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Stoa

classic jumping point:

Bitches Brew
Jack Johnson
In a Silent Way

- Miles Davis

Dudes who played with Miles and went on to form their own fusion bands in the 70's:

Chick Corea - Return to Forever
John McLaughlin - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter - Weather Report

The early albums by these bands are all worth checking out.

Miles made some wild fusion music between 1971-75 wore on, none of it as inspired as Bitches Brew or Jack Johnson, but very cool just the same (and even more experimental):

Pangaea
Dark Magus
Live Evil
Agharta
Get Up

You've listed my two favorite jazz fusion artists already (Al and Mahavishnu), but check out:
Billy Cobham - Spectrum

It's such a good album. Billy is Mahavishnu's drummer. Also check out Chick Corea. He's really good too and uses a lot of the musicians you've listed. I can't recommend and specific albums by him, because I only have his box set.

I just saw Al Di Meola in concert a month ago! He was soooo good.

Absolutely. The guitarist on "Spectrum" is a young and phenominal Tommy Bolin. Jeff Beck got some influence from Tommy. I would suggest Derek Trucks. His album "Soul Serenade" Guitar-driven Jazz with a blues song dropped in with vox by Gregg Allman. Of the "young gun" guitarists playing today, Derek IMO, in one of the best. The tone is so smooth, with brilliant slide playing. Derek is the nephew of Allman Bros. drummer Butch Trucks. Derek could be Duane Allman re-incarnated. Also Paco De Lucia, amazing flamenco playing infused with a jazz sensibility.

ive helped more people than ive ever detracted from, youre just not terribly perceptive or bright apparently.

Hell, I rib you non-stop for your shitty attitude but even I can admit that I've learned a lot about prog from you, and discovered some very interesting bands. There are just a lot of things that we'll never come close to agreeing on.

edit: did you neg rep me for my post on how blues and jazz were both major influences on rock and roll from its inception?

Hell, I rib you non-stop for your shitty attitude but even I can admit that I've learned a lot about prog from you, and discovered some very interesting bands. There are just a lot of things that we'll never come close to agreeing on.

edit: did you neg rep me for my post on how blues and jazz were both major influences on rock and roll from its inception?

why would i take the time to do something like that?

Miles Davis is the only real jazz musician I know, but his "Kind of Blue" album is amazing.

As for music with a jazz influence, bands such as Farmakon, Dream Theater (sorta), Estradasphere, Cryptopsy, Atheist, Secret Chiefs 3 (not so sure about a jazz influence, but still a good band), and Ephel Duath have a jazz influence to their music.

My professor played unbelievable Lalo Schifrin arranged album in my COltrane class the other day. It's called Firebird, and I really want to try to pick it up. Basically, he arranged some classic works by Dizzy, Parker, and others, to blend with Stravinsky. I was in awe of it; truly awesome musical blend.

Lopez's great influence on drums Akira Jimbo has a great album with jazz covers its done with brian bromberg called jb project (2003) he fusses the songs like crazy man. Fusion is great!