Jazz/Fusion recommendations?

Not really. While they where clearly more influenced by blues, some songs like Wicked world, faeries wear boots, hand of doom etc. have a jazzy feel.

What. no they dont.
And Instrumentation plays a huge part in 'Jazz'. I have to listen to it for about 8 hours a day at work. And good lord it drives me crazy after a while. It would do with any music.

edit: rofl @ me loving 'highschool musical' more than jazz.

Jazz/Fusion?? The one and only Al di Meola.. in my top 10 for best guitar player i ever heard.

Hellborg/lane/sipe
Karcius
7 for 4
Tony Williams (Holdsworth on guitar)
Etna (Like RtF)
Fragile
Fro
Machine and the Synergetic Nuts
Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
Ohm
Oblique Effect

jazz predates rock.

at least you get one thing right!

rock wasnt influenced by OR incorporated jazz until much later on after its origins. it was blues based, which by nature is actually very simplistic and derivitive in most respects...especially in a context of early rock music. but regardless, that wasnt what i asked about...i asked about metal, not "rock".

I know you like to sound as if you know everything all the time, but please explain to me how jazz and blues haven't BOTH influenced rock music since at the very least the 1940s?

Edit: for one example, just look at the skiffle movement in Britain in the 40s/50s... many of the prominent British earlier rock musicians performed in jazz-influenced skiffle bands before going on to win fame with rock n roll. Conversely, a couple of distinguished British skiffle musicians were even hired by American jazz bands a bit later on.

at least you get one thing right!

I know you like to sound as if you know everything all the time, but please explain to me how jazz and blues haven't BOTH influenced rock music since at the very least the 1940s?

Edit: for one example, just look at the skiffle movement in Britain in the 40s/50s... many of the prominent British earlier rock musicians performed in jazz-influenced skiffle bands before going on to win fame with rock n roll. Conversely, a couple of distinguished British skiffle musicians were even hired by American jazz bands a bit later on.

See, i think NFU would make an excellent politician...he's quite confident in his knowledge of all things....it's too bad that the real world isn't text-based...

because "rock and roll" wasnt around in the 40s.

not the way we know it today, but some r 'n' b and blues records from that time sound so much like rock n roll. and i think they used to call it "rockabilly" or something?

anyways, my point is: starting from the 40s, how can two genres of music (rock -later metal, too- and jazz) not influence each other? i dont see what the big deal is: yes, there are jazz influenced metal bands, meaning metal bands who derive one of their influences from jazz...for instance, say atheist or spiral architect or ephel duath.

I'm a pretty avid fan of all things jazz-influenced, particularly metal, but i just can't get enough fusion!!!

Here are some of my favorite albums, anything similar that i'm missing?

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (all his stuff pwns me)
Dennis Chambers, Greg Howe, and Victor Wooten - Extraction
CAB - 1 and 2
Allan Holdsworth - (all albums)
Stanley Clarke - School Days
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Yes - Relayer
Al Di Meola - (assorted)

i try to steer away of purely wank-style fusion, the more groove-based, the better....i love those fusion-style chord progressions, i don't really know how else to describe it...

so , i guess, fire away! :headbang:
Opeth - Still Life

:cool:

I just got Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra and it's pretty cool. Mclaughlin doesn't really compare to Di Meola though from what I heard.

I think I have the debut album by this band... called "The Inner Mounting Flame" which has some nice songs on it. I remember particularly liking "A Lotus on Irish Streams"

I think I have the debut album by this band... called "The Inner Mounting Flame" which has some nice songs on it. I remember particularly liking "A Lotus on Irish Streams"

I thought The Inner Mounting Flame was their second album and Birds of Fire was the debut...
Edit:....I just checked. You're right. I'll creep back into my hole now.

everyone on these baords tries to act super smart.....even though they have no idea waht they're talkin about,....!!!......PEAC EOUT

The Slip is a jamming trio that plays a rock/jazz hybrid.

Yeah, that sounds ridiculously bad but these guys are awesome, especially if you like excellent and unique musicianship.