Jazz/Fusion recommendations?

The Slip are great, although their stuff is much less jazz now than it is rock/pop. Their earlier work, especially live albums, shows their great musicianship. Theyre a really great group of guys, too, so thats a bonus as well. Let's hear it for Berklee drop outs!

everyone on these baords tries to act super smart.....even though they have no idea waht they're talkin about,....!!!......PEAC EOUT

no need to worry waz, nobody's going to be putting you into that category anytime soon as long as you keep typing in that utterly annoying, borderline troll manner

TEACUPSHORTANDST...OUT!!

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess
Santana Band is always good...

and i would say LTE is a perfect example of jazz influenced metal...

jazz is not the same as jazz influenced. the jazz influenced joke makes no sense. i remember reading an argument on behalf of the jazz-influenced joke, on a thread taken over by the jazz-influenced joke. if i recall correctly, the thread was much like this one.

someone fucking typed up a dictionary-like definition of what jazz is, i.e. "swing time," "free improvisation," "eight bar melody, followed by free improvisation."

that was their argument on behalf of the jazz influenced joke. a band is not the jazz that a dictionary definition defines unless the description isn't indisputably matched.

INFLUENCED ..."the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others: He used family influence to get the contract."

i've never read a biography on the guy, but when i hear frederick nordstrom (thats a meshuggah guitarist's name, right?) play, i hear a resemblance to allan holdsworth. is it possible that fred has heard allan play, and would like to incorporate a style that is...is..is...influenced by allan's play. it is also possible that fred has never heard allan's music, or for that matter, any jazz. in that case, "influenced" is not the right word. "resemblance" is the right word. with in mind the intent of this thread and others in the same vein, whether or not fred has ever heard allan is arbitrary.

a band is not the jazz that a dictionary definition defines unless the description isn't indisputably matched. .

And "Awkward sentence of the year" goes to....

I'm pretty sure I agree with what you're getting at... music can involve a lot of jazz elements without the musicians playing it being conscious jazz fans or listeners. Things like virtuosity, syncopation, improvisation, unusual meter, etc. are obviously not limited to jazz, and their presence in metal can be indicative of many things, with jazz influence being but one possibility.

What is the origin of the "jazz influences" joke anyway? I've even used it myself now but I'm not 100% sure why other than that NFU probably got pissed off at some newb for saying some metal band had "jazz influences" that his ass-for-brain didn't catch in whatever band it was.

And "Awkward sentence of the year" goes to....

I'm pretty sure I agree with what you're getting at... music can involve a lot of jazz elements without the musicians playing it being conscious jazz fans or listeners. Things like virtuosity, syncopation, improvisation, unusual meter, etc. are obviously not limited to jazz, and their presence in metal can be indicative of many things, with jazz influence being but one possibility.

What is the origin of the "jazz influences" joke anyway? I've even used it myself now but I'm not 100% sure why other than that NFU probably got pissed off at some newb for saying some metal band had "jazz influences" that his ass-for-brain didn't catch in whatever band it was.

the jazz influence joke is a running joke on this board that always puts a halt to threads like this. sometimes its used casually, which isn't funny, and there are threads like this one where we hear, "name me a jazz influenced metal band," or "how can a band be jazz influenced...lolololol."

i don't know how to take it. it :erk: s the hell out of me. if its a joke, its trolling. it offers nothing, and provokes arguments like this one. i know that stupid comments can be ignored, but they sure as hell make this place miserable.

NFU, can you name this gentleman a metal/rock band that has jazz-resemblances?

*edit*

@ the sentence....a band is not "the jazz" that a dictionary defines unless the description isn't indisputably matched...*this should have followed the sentence---> well, no shit.

Estradasphere never had a problem with being "jazz influenced."

And since when did this become discussion about Jazz influenced metal anyways? Didn't the thread starter ask for jazz fusion reccomendations...?

i...promise...i know...wut...im...talkin...bout!!!!111....PEAC..EOUT!!!11

maybe you would benefit by applying your knowledge to a place where it would be appreciated, like an academic institution for instance. You seem to post on this forum a lot and from my perspective, tend to get a lot of negative feedback. My suggestion is to either support your points by referencing to some source, or stop wasting the time of people here by acting like you know everything. People on this forum generally have little patience for those that think they know everything, maybe you could benefit from this advice.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion.

.... probably got pissed off at some newb for saying some metal band had "jazz influences" that his ass-for-brain didn't catch in whatever band it was.

HAY! i'm no newb!

just because i'm not a postwhore doesn't mean i'm not familiar with this place and it's people.... (and their tendencies)

thank you EVERYBODY for all the suggestions! A lot of them i've already heard, but there are many quality bands that i'll be checking into!

and Joe Vice, you make an excellent point, especially with the Holdsworth analogy....it's unfortunate that true originality is a rare thing these days, musically, as it seems to have all been done before...everyone just emulates their idols, in their own style.

HAY! i'm no newb!

just because i'm not a postwhore doesn't mean i'm not familiar with this place and it's people.... (and their tendencies)

I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about you. I meant the guy who inspired the creation of this jazz influences joke.

Unless that was you. And in that case, fuck you for ruining any possibility of a serious conversation about jazz influenced rock/metal bands.