Jazz Metal

jtt

New Metal Member
Jul 8, 2016
I have recently been finding a few metalish bands with a free jazz feel. I am not talking about using saxophones or brass, i HATE that, but more how the drums are tuned and played more like jazz and not metal, the time signatures, the texture, maybe some weird instruments or keyboard. I like some melody and cool chord progressions too. I dont want much screaming, I am into more shoegazey vocals or just vocals with no lyrics, but I want guitar sounds that are heavier and darker than happy shoegaze walls of sound. Just no screaming and no sax. If you have any suggestions please comment!

Last edited:
Ah man, when I read the title I was like new bffs. but then no screaming makes this very difficult. I will have a look at the collection.

I'm really more into the Jazz/Death metal contrasting side of this, but here are some instrumental examples you might enjoy:

Last edited:
Reactions: jtt and CiG
Ah man, when I read the title I was like new bffs. but then no screaming makes this very difficult. I will have a look at the collection.

Ya, sorry. I havent gotten into screaming, I guess its just another texture but I dont enjoy it yet. I kind of like laid back post-punk/industrial vocals (think Pailhead) but not guteral screams

I'm really more into the Jazz/Death metal contrasting side of this, but here are some instrumental examples you might enjoy:

Holy crap! Those were great, will definitely take a look at those artists.

Give this a shot, it has both clean and harsh vocals. It adds another layer of complexity to the music if you can give it a chance

Sound pretty interesting, I think I just havent hit a screaming phase yet. But please keep those instrumentals coming, I loved that piano fusion

Does anyone have any slap bass metal, that would sound really cool

Does anyone have any slap bass metal, that would sound really cool

I wish Primus had done a cover of the entire song. However, they actually did a cover of "The Thing That Should Not Be" (as I just found out):

While their own songs probably can't be considered "Metal", you might check them out nevertheless:

Reactions: jtt