Jazz Metal??

Vox Stellarum

Apr 30, 2003
i just stumbled upon cynic a while back, and totally fell in love with their style of music....

music's 2 best genres combined into one?truly amazing. i thought cynic was one of a kind (well they are...!), till i recently discovered atheist which is also really good (although its an unfair comparison with cynic) .

i wanted to know if there are other such 'jazz metal' bands out there, or atleast something even remotely connected to it....

Thanks.

\m/ \m/

yeah, Atheist and Cynic are awesome. as well as Pestilence.
check out a band called Sceptic.

Ephel Duath- A Painters Palette and possibly Farmakon- a Warm Glimpse

also for instrumental stuff check out Canvas Solaris. they have one EP and soon to have their first full length. This band is incredible.

I heard cephalic Carnage had some jazzy features, but I haven't heard them myself and I don't know if that's what you're after.

Can someone explain how the two genres are mixed please? I don't think I've heard any of this 'jazz metal' and it sounds really cool. Could someone define it as best as possible? Not just "mixes jazz with metal".

Thanks.

I really wonder if people actually know what Jazz is. I hear a number of bands mentioned, not just this topic or on this board, in reference to a Jazz metal request and most of them don't have any Jazz elements at all. I've noticed on another board that odd-time sigs equates to either Prog metal or gives it a Jazz influence, like WTF!? :guh:. If the band doens't break out in some cooled out lounge jazz passages like Candiria, for instance, then I'd be a little careful to throw band names around that just play very technical music like Spiral Architect, for instance.

[/rant] :bah: ;)

Ageless said:
I really wonder if people actually know what Jazz is. I hear a number of bands mentioned, not just this topic or on this board, in reference to a Jazz metal request and most of them don't have any Jazz elements at all. I've noticed on another board that odd-time sigs equates to either Prog metal or gives it a Jazz influence, like WTF!? :guh:. If the band doens't break out in some cooled out lounge jazz passages like Candiria, for instance, then I'd be a little careful to throw band names around that just play very technical music like Spiral Architect, for instance.

You can use jazz chords and progressions and just have a jazzy sound to it regardless if it sounds or is not played as Jazz or in that form. It is still jazz...... etc...

Like Cephalic Carnage has some little jazz parts but most of there music in general is jazz chords and shit like that and does not even sound like Jazz. It just has a jazzy sound. And technically since they use jazz chords and progressions it is there...

And stuff like Cynic,Atheist,Martyr,Esicastic,Candiria can get very jazzy and actually full on jazz.........

Stuff like Cynic was/and is ahead of there time and was the first DM band along with Atheist to actually get full on jazz sometimes, etc....

Ageless said:

Most people will only consider stuff like drums and forget passages completely.

I second Estradasphere.