Jazz

panzerfaust666

German Asshole
Feb 24, 2007
Kelowna,B.C. Canada
Ill be honest here for a sec. I am becoming increasingly less interested in metal. Except for Black metal. the rest= meh.

that said, I am unbelievably in love with jazz. so here is the jazz thread. Recs, what your liking right now, etc etc.

I love the brecker brothers.^^^

also I am going to see Return to Forever in july ( chick corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley clark) which I cant wait for

Last edited by a moderator:
Some v-something g-something guy on this forum recommended Steely Dan, and I have to say, they kick ass. It's a jazzy rock band, and one of the best rock bands I have ever heard. Other than that, I don't know a lot of jazz. Soft Machine is quite great, and Miles Davis.

vihris-gari

Steely Dan is more jazzy rock type stuff. If you want jazz, get the following:

Weather Report
Jaco Pastorius
John Coltrane
Diana Krall

Brand X...hear Phil Collins incredible drumming, before his head got too big to fit in a room.

Most people don't bother to check out Brand X, though. Percy Jones is up there at the top when it comes to bassists. I think when I mention Phil, they're jumping to conclusions, that it's probably a drumming style like his 80s-90s crap. Not even close...

Some classics...

Miles davis - Kind of Blue
Art blakey - Moanin'
Ornette coleman - The shape of jazz to come
Stan tracey - Under milk wood

also I am going to see Return to Forever in july ( chick corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley clark) which I cant wait for

I heard they were going on tour. I'm definitely going to have to try and make one of those dates. I just got into Chick Corea and Return to Forever a couple months ago after reading an article about the tour.

Anyways, some of my favs:

Miles Davis- Birth of the Cool, Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way
John Coltrane - Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, Live at Birdland
Bennie Maupin Ensemble - Penumbra
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come (I need to check out more of this guys work. Any recommendations?)
Thelonius Monk - Blue Monk, Live at Carnegie Hall with John Coltrane

I have a few Holdsworth albums...I even have the Gong album Gazuese that he's on. And the first UK album. Thanks for mentioning him! I haven't listened to him for about a year now!

Loving these two nowadays...I really like Allan Holdsworth too, only after listening to Metal Fatigue did I realize how many metal musicians this guy has influenced.
he is incredible. this man is king( on of them)

I almost picked up those albums today. I need to go on a jazz haul here soon and those will be two of the albums I pick up
yes you do.!! get Giant steps and some Charles Mingus

Just checked out that Brecker Brothers vid now because it wouldn't play thru this site. Fucking off the hook.

Gary Willis band, featuring Dennis Chambers, Scott Kinsey and Bill Evans

Footage sucks, but the sound is ok

Awseome video, Dennis is a real legend on the skins

Any of you guys ever listened to Naked city by John zorn? If not then you really should, crazy jazz album with elements of pretty much all other forms of music in it, including metal, it's quite an experience.

Just checked out that Brecker Brothers vid now because it wouldn't play thru this site. Fucking off the hook.

Gary Willis band, featuring Dennis Chambers, Scott Kinsey and Bill Evans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3P8uW-ujNs

Footage sucks, but the sound is ok

great video. and Yes the Brecker Brothers are off the hook.

john Patitucci-Giant steps

love this trio. Chick, vinnie caluita, john patitucci.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG:rofl:Sij9jH4&feature=related[/ame]

Django Reinhardt cover( sadly I couldnt find any remarkable clips of the man himself)

Peter Thomas Sound Orchester
Dizzy Gillespie
John Zorn/Naked City
Flat Earth Society

all amazing jazz, especially Peter Thomas, his stuff is great.

Awseome video, Dennis is a real legend on the skins

Any of you guys ever listened to Naked city by John zorn? If not then you really should, crazy jazz album with elements of pretty much all other forms of music in it, including metal, it's quite an experience.

Naked City is a crazy album. While I like it, I can't listen to it all that often.

dave brubeck quartet are great. Especially the Milestone take Five.

also, choke on this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npy3DlV98yM&feature=related[/ame]

those fuckers are so good it is stupid. Jope pass and Niels-Henning -Orsted-Peterson