JEFF LOOMIS Schecter guitar

This thing is AMAZING! I have had a love affair with Ibanez 7 strings, still do, but the Schecter kicks! First guitar with EMGs, (shoulda got one years ago), now I know why so many out there use the EMG stuff. Tight, clear and a certain roundness that is just perfect for metal.
The guitar itself is built like a tank, resonates well, finish is great and the floyd is a dream, just like the lo-pro edges. I can already here my playing getting better, dunno if its the "LOOMIS MOJO" involved with it all, but I couldnt give a rats arse, it simply works. It is bigger and heavier all round than my Ibby's, especially those GIGANTIC frets, which looked too big at the start but are comfortable as 10 to play with. The neck is big and wide, but in a positive way, just perfect, the ash and the EMGs are great together.
Only downside to being an Ibanez player is there is no cut away to rest your picking arm on and its actually left a small bruise on my inner right arm, though I did play it for about 5 hours continuously when I got her. :heh:
Anyway, just thought I'd let yas know about my latest purchase, I knew she was gonna be good, but not "BLOODY GREAT". Those of you who have one, well done, those who dont, seriously go and try one, they are that good. :headbang:

This thread is useless without picks:heh::heh::heh:

Congrats man:)

I was GASing a while back for one of these, but i decided it wasn't the time for me to change to 7 strings.

BTW have you ever played a C7 hellraiser?Can you compare the neck to the Loomis?

This thread is useless without picks:heh::heh::heh:

Congrats man:)

I was GASing a while back for one of these, but i decided it wasn't the time for me to change to 7 strings.

BTW have you ever played a C7 hellraiser?Can you compare the neck to the Loomis?

Havent laid eyes on one unfortunately, but if I'm not mistaken, I think Ermz has one, he may have tried the Loomis as well, dunno, but it would have to be something very special to play and sound as good as the Loomis.

Wann try that!
I own a 6 string hellraiser and it rules!
But still a bit far from Jackson.

Definately dude, Ive never given Schecter a second look, but after this experience, I will be trying a few more. Older Jacksons (especially the USA ones) are pretty special, always wanted one growing up, never had the coin though, kept spending money on donuts and beer!

Havent laid eyes on one unfortunately, but if I'm not mistaken, I think Ermz has one, he may have tried the Loomis as well, dunno, but it would have to be something very special to play and sound as good as the Loomis.

The Loomis feels great on the neck/ fret board (a touch superior IMO for my tastes) than the C7 HR, though the HR sounds better IMO. In comparison the Loomis model is muddy and doesn't cut through as well.
Would be great to have the neck of the Loomis on a HR/ Mahogany body.

This thing is AMAZING! I have had a love affair with Ibanez 7 strings, still do, but the Schecter kicks! First guitar with EMGs, (shoulda got one years ago), now I know why so many out there use the EMG stuff. Tight, clear and a certain roundness that is just perfect for metal.
The guitar itself is built like a tank, resonates well, finish is great and the floyd is a dream, just like the lo-pro edges. I can already here my playing getting better, dunno if its the "LOOMIS MOJO" involved with it all, but I couldnt give a rats arse, it simply works. It is bigger and heavier all round than my Ibby's, especially those GIGANTIC frets, which looked too big at the start but are comfortable as 10 to play with. The neck is big and wide, but in a positive way, just perfect, the ash and the EMGs are great together.
Only downside to being an Ibanez player is there is no cut away to rest your picking arm on and its actually left a small bruise on my inner right arm, though I did play it for about 5 hours continuously when I got her. :heh:
Anyway, just thought I'd let yas know about my latest purchase, I knew she was gonna be good, but not "BLOODY GREAT". Those of you who have one, well done, those who dont, seriously go and try one, they are that good. :headbang:

Does it have Dunlop 6000 frets? I keep reading that it has big frets, but haven't played one and haven't ever seen the specs listed anywhere. If it has the huge Dunlop 6000 frets like on my Cooley sig guitar, then I understand why people say it plays so well.... the huge frets really allow a light touch and make legato easier.... really just makes playing easier in general, for my tastes anyways...

I still need to try out a Loomis sometime...

Yeah I do indeed have a C7 HR and have tried the Loomis. I put the Loomis down after about 2 minutes and never thought about it again. The C7 HR is in every way superior IMO.

Obviously Jeff doesn't feel that way though! :lol:

As a footnote, about the tone. The only concrete comparison I heard was a reamp by GH of both models. The Loomis was marked by a resonance higher in the low mids than the Hellraiser. The Hellraiser seemed to have the crux of its meat around 300hz which contributes to that really fat-as-fuck tone. The Loomis on the other hand seemed to have it at about 500 or 600hz, which just resulted in a boxy sort of muddyness. Also it seems the maple neck may contribute to a brighter overall tone, as it was a bit fizzier too. In fact on the recordings the Loomis had more of just about everything I hate in a guitar tone, so that cemented it.

Does it have Dunlop 6000 frets? I keep reading that it has big frets, but haven't played one and haven't ever seen the specs listed anywhere. If it has the huge Dunlop 6000 frets like on my Cooley sig guitar, then I understand why people say it plays so well.... the huge frets really allow a light touch and make legato easier.... really just makes playing easier in general, for my tastes anyways...

I still need to try out a Loomis sometime...

Not sure on the fret size, some say 6100s others 6600s, but I swear Jeff himself said something about 2200s or something similar to that.

Yeah I do indeed have a C7 HR and have tried the Loomis. I put the Loomis down after about 2 minutes and never thought about it again. The C7 HR is in every way superior IMO.

Obviously Jeff doesn't feel that way though! :lol:

As a footnote, about the tone. The only concrete comparison I heard was a reamp by GH of both models. The Loomis was marked by a resonance higher in the low mids than the Hellraiser. The Hellraiser seemed to have the crux of its meat around 300hz which contributes to that really fat-as-fuck tone. The Loomis on the other hand seemed to have it at about 500 or 600hz, which just resulted in a boxy sort of muddyness. Also it seems the maple neck may contribute to a brighter overall tone, as it was a bit fizzier too. In fact on the recordings the Loomis had more of just about everything I hate in a guitar tone, so that cemented it.

After reading that, Ima gonna go and try one of these babies, cheers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were Dunlop 6000 frets.
I know that Ibanez use frets that are the same width as 6100s, but have slightly less height, and they are already quite big frets as it is, so if the Loomis has bigger frets than that, it's a very high chance they are Dunlop 6000s.
Compare the frets of your K7 side by side with the Loomis, that will give you a good idea

@slayercansufhead: Good luck! I hope you're as taken with it as I was. Make sure to use both right next to each other, and account for how they're each set up. IMO at the very least the tone of the Hellraiser should be superior.

I got the C7 re-fretted with stainless steel fret wire. Best thing that ever happened to it. Vibratos and leads just became liquid instantly.

I also replaced the bridge 707 with an 81-7, and this was the *worst* thing that ever happened to it. 81s sound like ass in these things. They will make your beautiful mahogany monstrosity sound like you're playing a toothpick with icicle strings.

Sorry for taking it a little off topic, but Ermz, what luthier did you take your guitar to to get the refret job done?
One place I did ask, which shall remain nameless, asked me over 400 dollars for a SS refret. Fuck that, considering I can get a whole new Ibanez RG 7 string neck with SS frets for only 50 dollars or so more. Other places just never bothered responding to my emails asking about refrets. I'd really like to make the move to SS frets, but it's hard to justify paying over 400 dollars for it, no matter how well it's done IMO.

@slayercansufhead: Good luck! I hope you're as taken with it as I was. Make sure to use both right next to each other, and account for how they're each set up. IMO at the very least the tone of the Hellraiser should be superior.

I got the C7 re-fretted with stainless steel fret wire. Best thing that ever happened to it. Vibratos and leads just became liquid instantly.

I also replaced the bridge 707 with an 81-7, and this was the *worst* thing that ever happened to it. 81s sound like ass in these things. They will make your beautiful mahogany monstrosity sound like you're playing a toothpick with icicle strings.

81s are already bright, the 81-7 is probably even brighter, and the guitar has a longer scale length than normal (26.5" instead of 25.5")... that's why. it's all adding up to extreme brightness. I've heard the 707TW in humbucker mode is warmer sounding than the 707... supposed to be closer to the sound of an 85. That might be something to try.

Hahahaha! Thanx for the info mate, cant believe I remembered it as 22 instead of SS! :lol:

I was just joking around saying I like 6000s better and I don't think SS are worth it (and they don't make any SS frets as big as the dunlop 6000s).

I don't know what the Loomis uses. I wouldn't be surprised if they were dunlop 6000s though. but maybe you heard 6200 and thought it was 2200? I think 6200 are "medium" frets though...