JEFF LOOMIS - THE UlLTIMATUM

I really like Tony Macalpines guest solo. Besides that it sounds good, but still as monotonous as his first record. I hope there will be more musical diversity on the album.

Sounds excellent.

Love how some are not interested after 1 song in shitty quality on jewtoob.
Yer cool.
I think the reason most people are unexcited for it is because it sounds like the same old shit we've all heard before. Everyone knows Loomis can shred balls and already has a solo album full of it to begin with.

Me personally, I'd like to hear more variety in the songwriting and playing. If this album has that, he chose the wrong song to use as the first sampling because nothing about this shit tells me it's going to be any different than what he's already done.

After one song I am definitely less interested than I was before, but I won't write anything off until I hear it all, as I'm sure most everyone else will do as well.

Speaking as a guitarist, I list Jeff Loomis as one of my greatest insprirations. He has made some amazing contributions to Nevermore, and he has taken shred solos from a wall of extremely fast notes to something atmospheric, even melodic. Thats at least how I percieve his work. Id quite like to see him back in Nevermore, but Im also quite happy he is releasing solo material.

^^ :lol:

Album Sampler

Some awesome stuff, mainly the less "metal" sounding songs. His shred stuff does kinda sound all the same after a while.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Ihsahn? His clean vocals sound good from what I hear in that sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome. It takes a truly badass guitar player to make shred interesting, and Jeff managed to do just that for the majority of the first album. Based on The Ultimatum and that sampler clip, this new one might be even better.

There's no-one out there right now making better music in this vein than Jeff.

I was kind of disappointed with the Ultimatum video, but the samples with vocals made me want this album again.

This Ihsahn track is just awesome, was just listening to it via Rock Hard Germany.

it's amazing to me how jeff's personality and uniqueness exponential decrease as his skills increase.

this pretty much just sounds like a remake of every Shrapnel Records shred record from the 80s, but on seven strings.

though I guess that old nevermore fans aren't really his target audience anymore and he's moved on to kids who argue about tone and pickups on forums all day and masturbate to videos of harmonic minor sweep picking.