Jerry Falwell roasts in hell

Ding dong the witch is dead.............

Yeah J.F was really a sorry pathetic human being. I dislike people who dedicate their lives to preach against other people's personal life, and that are so narrow minded and small.
He was the one who blamed 9/11 on gay people, btw.

Sorry, but I'm not sad.

and Lynchburg, VA. just got better!

Ding dong the witch is dead.............

Yeah J.F was really a sorry pathetic human being. I dislike people who dedicate their lives to preach against other people's personal life, and that are so narrow minded and small.
He was the one who blamed 9/11 on gay people, btw.

Sorry, but I'm not sad.

and Lynchburg, VA. just got better!

i just can't believe the shit he did to people's personal lives....so degrading!

am i the only one who remembers this:

falwell.jpg

?

Alright, the article didn't go into this. So, what's the big deal? I know he was an important dude, but does every other person hate him? Is it just because half ya'll aren't Jesus-people or what? Because I don't keep up with this kind of stuff. Juuuust curious.

I'm surprised that you don't know this guy - then again, few Christians know as much about Christianity as ex-Christians, so I really shouldn't be. He was the fuck who basically was responsible for the far-right evangelical movement that started in the eighties, he blamed 9/11 on gays, feminists, and the ACLU, he set the standard for the majority's persecution complex... he was the kind of guy that just made humanity look bad. The kind of people who can align with him are vacant-stare, we-should-kill-all-of-the-atheists-for-kicking-God-out-of-schools, Earth-is-thousands-of-years-old zombie fundamentalists who have been lied to since the day they were born and essentially are trying to turn back the clock so that we can all live as cavemen again. Someone posted a list of quotes from him (the positiveatheist link) and that's really all there is to it - he didn't waste a moment pretending to be 'moderate' in his religious views (or being exposed to anything contrary to them, for that matter), he just went straight to the Bible and showed what a disgusting thing Abrahamic religions could be.

Jeff

People like Falwell give faith a bad name. They bastardise it, they twist it and the use it.

I'm not a Christian, but I have lots of respect for such a mode of faith, particularly in its earliest, more mystical, beginning. I have little time for the modern incarnation.

There were hundreds of 'early, more mystical' Christianities - none of them like what we see today (the belief in an actual historical Christ didn't come up until much later) and they pretty much stemmed from a reworking of a religion based around Mithra.

Jeff

A group called "The First Council of Nicaea" sat down some time in the third century C.E., in what is now Turkey, and decided to codify what was Christian and what was not. This was because the recently converted Constantine wanted to avoid a large scale episode of sectarian infighting(of the sort that abounds today) to establish a stable state religion.

Indeed. One of my final essays as an undergrad was on Nicaea, interesting times. The early Church presents one with a wealth of material.

I've never devoted much of my lecturing time to the beginning of Christianity, but I've read extensively and Christian History right up until the Council of Trent is fascinating. Not that it's less exciting now, but the change from mystical beginning to dogmatic faith and the narrative enclosed therein is the most compellng part.

The fact that it was the first religion officially established by an organized committee is pretty interesting. Even more interesting is the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who fits the bill of rebel messiah. I have to wonder if Nicaean Christianity isn't a version of Mithracism that picked up the worship of the Aten, and the personality cult of the pharaoh that started it, rather than a simple offshoot of orthodox Judaism.

The fact that it was the first religion officially established by an organized committee is pretty interesting. Even more interesting is the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who fits the bill of rebel messiah. I have to wonder if Nicaean Christianity isn't a version of Mithracism that picked up the worship of the Aten, and the personality cult of the pharaoh that started it, rather than a simple offshoot of orthodox Judaism.

A myriad of Theories exist for the theological origins/course/influences of Christianity. To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with all of them.

I was never familiar with this guy, but I liked the cut of his jib. Cults are a definite plus; same with over-zealous religious freaks. They attract all the megaretards so we can clearly identify them in society.

REST IN PEACE, Falwell.