Jobs

Sep 27, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I know ND isn't a full-time job for its respective members. So what do you guys (and other ND fans) do for a regular job? I know Paul does Graphic Design of some sort.

I run my own business developing security guard patrol management systems (sounds much grander than it is). I'm a software developer by trade and I handle all the tech stuff. My business partner does the sales and marketing.

I work in the Insurance Industry.
Let's just say that "Your In Good Hands" at the company I work for.

I am in the Accounting area, though my area provides support for users of the Financial System used here. (We use SAP, for any of you who might be familiar with systems).

I guess you could say my role is that I serve as a liason between Information Technology and Accounting.

I'm on the other end of the insurance industry, as a commercial agent for a private/boutique brokerage. I handle customer service for a great number of the agency's smaller accounts.

Of course I do!!!! :)

Nothing like asking them for help, and they direct you to their knowledge database, which is mostly written in German.

I didn't know your company used SAP.

I have a BD in English and Creative writing. Now, in my older age I have become a student of one of the most glorius creations of all time, the Vagina. I have spent endless hours in finding and loving that difficult clitoris. And what a wonderful job it's become. You know, completely pleasing a woman.

Right now I'm pretty much a full-time working musician. In other words, I'm broke :lol: No but seriously, when I'm not playing with ND, I perform with other bands, playing cover songs and that sort of thing, and I make pretty fair money at it. Some people might balk at the idea of me performing pop/rock music on the side, but, a.) I enjoy listening to and playing stuff besides metal, and b.) you can't beat the money. I can make in one weekend the same amount of money that I earned working 30+ hours a week at my old job (security work).

I decided when I was 9 years old that I wanted my job to be playing my instrument, so that's what I do. I can't afford expensive computer stuff or fancy cars or a new house, etc., but I'm happy with what I do. It'd be great if us guys in ND could make a financial living playing doom/death metal, but it's just not realistic. The majority of the money we earn is sunk right back into ND, because this is a labour of love, so to speak. And we'll not compromise our music or our standards in order to earn bigger bucks.

Yeah there's some genres that just won't make money and you're in one of them. Of course if you'd do what you have to do to make money I probably wouldn't listen to you anymore. So thanks for being broke I guess. :)

I personally am a mechanical engineer. I design cranes. And we are currently undergoing a big ass project to get SAP as well (currently use Oracle). I don't use it much so I guess I don't really care if it sucks or not.

Interesting, I have exactly the same reflection on my life (and future) right now. On my side I was destined to work in the advertising world but decided to quit university to become what I always wanted to be: artist. I studied 3 years and obtained a degree in graphic designing. Later on I worked for a studio who used to build animation movies for television and small video games for Disney, I lost that job. Now things are difficults on every plans : life, money and hopes...

mais je ne perds pas espoir
(but I stay confident)

mais je ne perds pas espoir
(but I stay confident)

Do you speak French, Meanspark? I read that as "But I haven't lost hope" or was my translation too literal? I haven't spoken French for a few years and I'm probably a bit rusty!

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
The majority of the money we earn is sunk right back into ND, because this is a labour of love, so to speak. And we'll not compromise our music or our standards in order to earn bigger bucks.

That's one of the most refreshing things I've read in a long time. Hopefully, in the future you can earn proper money with ND without compromising the music.

I'm still a student, studying architecture and engineering. I also work at a construction managementbureau 1 day in the week. And in the weekend I'm a proffesional lazy basterd! :Smug:

Oh god, SAP...my company finally implemented it two years ago, and we now have one of the largest pools of SAP professionals globally, if not THE largest. I am the facility lead for Accenture-Philadelphia and I work with SAP on a daily basis. I handle security, procurement, mail and print operations, vendor relations, etc.

That's one of the most refreshing things I've read in a long time. Hopefully, in the future you can earn proper money with ND without compromising the music.

In order to earn proper money, so to speak, we would have to basically hit the road for the next few years, live like paupers in the process, and eat alot of shit that people in this industry toss your way. And then, maybe, we would earn some better money for ourselves, but still no guarantee.

Being as old as we are, many of us with families to support and bills to pay, it's just not very responsible or realistic that we could ever go that route at this juncture in our lives. Furthermore, it's not something we really want to do anyhow. I have alot of respect for the bands who live their lives in such a way, being true road dogs and nomads. But that's not in the cards for us, especially when you consider things like the serious physical problems that some of us have to endure daily as well. We're lucky to be able to get out and do what little touring we do, to be honest.

Lastly, playing this particular kind of music, I don't think we could ever really get out there enough to earn those big bucks, because the large crowd turnouts just aren't there. When you consider that bands like My Dying Bride (who are arguably the biggest and best band around in this genre) still have to work day jobs in order to get by, I think that really says it all. Opeth have gotten quite big and make a living at doing this now, but I think they were one of those special cases where they hit at the right time, with the right people, and had the backing when it was critical. There's alot of bands out there now who are trying to be "the next Opeth" but it ain't gonna happen.

One last thing to consider.... doing things the way we've been doing them might mean less income for us and more of a struggle to attain popularity or whatever, but it's also allowed us more creative freedom and time to focus on our songwriting, etc. We were able to sign to a label who allowed us to be ourselves, provided us with just what we needed to get our music done properly and get it out there to the public, and we're grateful for that. We are quite content with what we've accomplished and how we've done it, because it's been on our terms, even if that means we won't ever be as popular or successful as some other bands.

My Dying Bride is a choice for those guys to a degree. They are another band, like us, who do it for the love of the music, and not for money. They break even like we do from playing live, after they pay for transportation, and they pay their crew, but they go home happy. If they chose to make the band full time, and tour non-stop I'm sure they could do very well for themselves, and live off the band, but I have the feeling if they did that, they still wouldn't be a band today. It's HARD. Just look at Opeth. Like Larry said, they live from the music, but you can't tell me that the line up changes, and x-members physical and mental condition wasn't in part of the brutal tour schedules. It's a catch 22.

I'm quite happy where we are. I think the next CD will push us even further ahead, all within our terms, and that's all that matters to me.

But you guys wouldn't like to live from the music en have to tour a lot more? Without taking in account your family at home couse it seems this breaks it up for most of the bands...