Jobs

College student. I'm in year 4 of 5 1/2. I'll have degrees in physics and civil engineering when it's all over.

Geek.

And I do NOT teach math. No sir, I won't admit to that.

If you ever want to stop a conversation at a party, just admit you listen to heavy metal or teach math. Guaranteed to get blank stares!

Ken

Yes and no. Of course we'd like to live off of our music, but it's just a simple fact that it'd be near impossible to acheive at this point. We could earn more money than we do now but to really earn enough to make a living off of it would require turning our lives upside down and having to conform to alot of the bullshit and rules of the music biz. When you look at the big picture and look at it realistically, out of the zillions of bands out there, so very few of them actually are successful enough to make a true living at it. I think what breaks up bands in that respect, is the fact that so many of these guys are unrealistic, or perhaps just uninformed, about what is really gonna come from all of this. So many people start out going, "Yeah man I'm gonna make it big, you watch". Hell I once had that mindset. And then I learned about how the business really works. Hell, we're still learning how business works. More often than not, it's a disappointment. We love to get out and tour when we can, play for you guys when we can, and we make the best of it when we can. But spending 75% of our time out on the road, away from loved ones, struggling to make ends meet, is just not something we aspire towards. It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of what we personally feel matters most to us. And as we've already stated, personal and medical issues also have placed many restrictions on what we can and cannot do, unfortunately. We're not a bunch of 22 year olds with no worries, who can live off of candy bars, burgers, beer and weed for months on end. (Ah those were the days eh? LOL)

We've got a great label which is run by reasonable human beings who appreciate art and respect artists, and we're so thankful for that. We've released a body of work so far that we can feel proud of and know that every note and every lyric was put on there because it was an honest representation of who we are, not because we gotta squeeze out another album in order to warrant going out on tour again to make some money and appease the label. We've managed to still get out and play some great shows over the years, even with physical problems and responsibilities back home being a factor. We've been very lucky over the years to be able to do things "our way". Whereas I've seen many a friend get signed, pile into the van for the next several years, playing every shitty club or tour they can get, and wind up coming home at the end of it frazzled and disenchanted with playing music. I'm just not interested in that, sorry.

Everyone thinks that it's gloriously fun being on tour all the time, and at times it is rewarding, but more often than not, as Paul said it is HARD. It really takes a certain kind of person to be able to endure that shit for a long time without either going nuts, becoming an addict, or possibly losing your connection to your loved ones, and so on. I think the way we've handled things in our career so far, we've managed to get the best of both worlds and I'm rather proud of that.

Geek.

And I do NOT teach math. No sir, I won't admit to that.

If you ever want to stop a conversation at a party, just admit you listen to heavy metal or teach math. Guaranteed to get blank stares!

Ken

You should be a typical American idiot who doesn't understand math and listens to mainstream tripe, then you'll fit in better Ken, lol. Sweet fucking christ do I hate society.

So sad that you'd get blank stares for that, whereas I commend you highly for being metal AND being an intelligent person who educates others.

I did study my math!!!
I am a CPA and an MBA.

I think success for an underground metal band is a blessing and a curse. Look at how many fans both DragonForce and Opeth lost, simply by becoming more mainstream. Neither changed their sound at all. The problem is that there are many close minded metal fans that will never accept a band who has mainstream popularity or appeal.

The flipside though is you gain a lot of fans who are just jumping on the bandwagon for the current album, and will be onto the next trend by the time your next album comes out.

I think the internet has changed things a lot.
Anyone can find any band. No work in it at all.

Many of us older guys learned about bands we love today from tape trading demos and bootlegs, either through the mail or in person with other fans at shows, record conventions, etc. So, when a band like Metallica broke big, fans felt like they had more of a personal stake in it. It wasn't just like, "Hey, look at this band that plays fast metal who is on this big festival. Ozzy and Sharon like them so they must be good"!

I think you guys are doing it just right. You play shows, tours, and record all on your own terms. The End is a great label indeed.

No thoughts on the glorius vagina?? C, mon isn't being a wheel-chair gigolo a great job. Just trying to infuse some humour, however true. I agree "FUCK" society. I've been a non-conformist since, probably the day I was born. And I'm sure most have heard this; We are born out of a vagina, and as men, we spend the rest of our lives trying to get back in. And when done with devotion, it's a full-time job. I hope I haven't offended anyone, it's just that I feel more comfortable on the ND forum than any other on UltimateMetal, to lodge a post like this. Thanx goes out to Larry and Paul, and all the cool people on this board. HAILS!!!!!!!!!

I thought Dragonforce only got fans after their guitar hero stunt, because I never heard anybody talk about that band before GH came out.

Are you serious Vito?
DragonForce have been one of the most talked about bands in the power metal scene long before their Guitar Hero appearance.

For MANY years, they were most people's #1 "wishlist" band for Prog Power.
Of course, now with their mainstream popularity, most people in those circles will never admit to ever liking them.

Their original demo holds the record for the most downloads on the old site, MP3.COM.

I think Opeth lost a TON of fans.
I guess I should confirm "lost" from a biz perspective.
Sure, many of their old fans still like them, but they don't purchase their new CDs or go to see them live.
How many of you honestly went to see Opeth on their current tour?

I think Opeth lost a TON of fans.
I guess I should confirm "lost" from a biz perspective.
Sure, many of their old fans still like them, but they don't purchase their new CDs or go to see them live.
How many of you honestly went to see Opeth on their current tour?

Well I'm a fan since Damnation but I just didn't discover them before that. And I still like Opeth a lot, buy their new stuff and booked my ticket or the show in Holland....

I think that most fans who left Opeth are not open minded enough to exept change, but they also start to complain when a new album is a bit the same as the one before. And yes some fans just don't like it. But these things you'll always have. And their change wasn't even that radical like Ulver.

Right...jobs :lol:

Are you serious Vito?
DragonForce have been one of the most talked about bands in the power metal scene long before their Guitar Hero appearance.

For MANY years, they were most people's #1 "wishlist" band for Prog Power.
Of course, now with their mainstream popularity, most people in those circles will never admit to ever liking them.

Their original demo holds the record for the most downloads on the old site, MP3.COM.

Wow I seriously had no idea man, that's jacked up lol. I bought Valley of the Damned before the guitar hero stuff, and was seriously not impressed at all. I don't even really like them, I think some of the stuff is cool, but I'd rather listen to an all instrumental video game metal band like Power Glove :headbang:

Well I'm a fan since Damnation but I just didn't discover them before that. And I still like Opeth a lot, buy their new stuff and booked my ticket or the show in Holland....

I think that most fans who left Opeth are not open minded enough to exept change, but they also start to complain when a new album is a bit the same as the one before. And yes some fans just don't like it. But these things you'll always have. And their change wasn't even that radical like Ulver.

Right...jobs :lol:

Yeah, I just know a lot of older Opeth fans, myself included, just grew a bit tired of them. I still consider myself a fan, but have no interest in new material or ever seeing them live again. Not that I wouldn't EVER consider it, just wouldn't be a 100% definite. I have seen them live twice, and both times I left a bit disappointed. Just me though.

I have no issues with their sound at all. I have Ghost Reveries, and enjoy it alot. Just not as excited about it as I was when I purchased Blackwater Park.

Wow I seriously had no idea man, that's jacked up lol. I bought Valley of the Damned before the guitar hero stuff, and was seriously not impressed at all.

Yeah, very interesting history of that band.
I guess my take on them is different, as I am a HUGE Power Quest fan
(A couple current DragonForce members used to be in PQ).
So I have been familiar with DF for a long time.

By no means do I think they are the best band.
The speed and craziness is really the redeeming quality.
Just makes for a fun listen.
Not really an everyday band for me or anything.

Yeah, very interesting history of that band.
I guess my take on them is different, as I am a HUGE Power Quest fan
(A couple current DragonForce members used to be in PQ).
So I have been familiar with DF for a long time.

By no means do I think they are the best band.
The speed and craziness is really the redeeming quality.
Just makes for a fun listen.
Not really an everyday band for me or anything.

Yeah they are a fun band to listen to sometimes, I just really like the fact that they are heavily influenced by video game music. Old Nintendo games had some amazing music in them. Mega Man series had a ton of metal shit going on :headbang:

:worship:I'm a huge Opeth fan..and I would differently go see them live...In fact I did that the 22nd of September this year.

Anyway I have two jobs. I work in a Blockbuster store (which I am beginning to hate) and then I work for an insurance company (I work in the members department). I did ask if I could become a trainee in the company, and I got a very positive response to that. But the woman that was suppose to contact me about a further meeting wrote to the wrong email address and she never got an answer back (for obvious reasons) so she assumed that I wasn't interested....:cry:

I hope that I can get the internship sometime next year...it's very good pay, and I like the company I work for.

The whole notion of Opeth's current status is kind of subjective and hard to prove anyhow, so I won't touch that.

I did see them last week, actually. Honestly, while I greatly miss Lopez and Lindgren, it was one of the better Opeth shows I've seen over the years. I really liked their setlist choices, and Mike has become more interesting onstage particularly with his banter.

But those guys have definitely had to make sacrifices, perhaps not artistically, but personally, in order to get to where they are now. As Paul mentioned earlier, you'd better believe that the toll of being on the road so much had a large part to do with the fact that so many of the guys are no longer with them anymore. Mike was obviously cut out for this business, he handles it well. But I'm sure the stress of it all, and especially now having kids and a wife back at home, gets to him more as he's getting older. I can't speak for him obviously, this is just my speculation.

I think that we're going to see a gradual change in how the whole music biz operates over the next several years, with the advent of the internet, downloading, Youtube, IPhones, and all this stuff making the spread and sharing of information and media so much easier and more widely available. It used to be that you had to tour every nook and cranny of the country in order to reach everyone and build up that fanbase. Now any fan from b.f.e Montana to Bangkok can see and hear your band without having to leave the house. I don't think live performances will ever stop, cool tours will continue to happen.....but with the additional factor of travel becoming more expensive and crossing borders becoming more restricted, I think you're going to start seeing artists taking new routes to get their music and their show across to the masses. And I for one am pretty excited to see some of these innovations.

I love playing in front of a live crowd though, it's an amazing feeling, even when I'm doing my "day-job" gig playing cover tunes, when you play in front of a good crowd and everything is really gelling, it's a great feeling.

As nice as it is though that I can make money playing the bars and festivals with the "day-job", it is a damned shame that underground metal bands....even fairly well established ones....have to struggle so hard just to get the same kind of turnout and payoff. When I see very respectable European metal bands playing here in Chicago and being lucky to draw around 200 people (and often less), that just astounds me :(

I just went to see Opeth two weeks ago, and they were nothing short of spectacular! I think Fred and Axe have blended perfectly into the mix, and Mike hasn't skipped a beat. With that said, as a father I can appreciate even more their dedication to touring, and the long periods away from their families. Mike and Mendez both have little ones at home, that they must miss terribly. I am grateful to them for making that sacrifice!