Johan's Horn cup

I had my drinking horn before I heard of Amon Amarth. You can get them custom-made, according to your wishes at this site:

http://www.urweg.com

Some nice people there, too.

[edit]
Holy shit! They updated their site. I was checking it out, and if you look at the second set of three pics on their horn link, you'll see mine. The pic of the black-looking horns. Mine's the two outside pics of the three. The pic in the middle isn't mine.

Pretty sweet.

That's a really nice one. Mine's very simple and without any metal inlays or anything - but it sure fills it purpose though! The nicest thing would be to have something like Boromir's horn which you could blow and drink from.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
That's a really nice one. Mine's very simple and without any metal inlays or anything - but it sure fills it purpose though! The nicest thing would be to have something like Boromir's horn which you could blow and drink from.

I have one like that, it holds about 36 oz and can be blown as well

oh damn, i didnt know that existed..
do you have to close the hole to blow into to drink? (yeah it might seem like a stupid question but i didnt know those existed.. k? :p)

What I'm wondering though, can you safely drink Coke from a horn? Or does Coke's acidic level erode the horn?

My kids have had Coke in their horn. I'm pretty sure my husband's had rum and Coke in his at some point. (Both is blaspemy, but then again, I've had some pretty odd stuff in my own horn, so I can't really complain...) Either way, it works fine. Some wine stains waxliner red, and coffee and tea melts it, but other than that, you can drink whatever you want in a waxlined horn. Not sure about that other finish that you can buy here (can't remember what it's called, but it's REALLY blasphemous! LOL).
I like my horns. Mead tastes better in a horn. Can't explain why.
We use a HUGE horn for our blòts, as we have a large number of people in circle and the horn needs to not run out of mead every two minutes. The opening end is like about the size of my (admittedly) skinny leg! My husband, who also doesn't like to run out of beer, has a huge horn. It's about the length of my arm and fits two beer at a time. His SCA name translates to "Desirous of Beer" in Old Norse for a reason. Mind you, the size of a man's penis extesion may be an indication of lack of real equippment, but don't tell him I said that. LOL.

Tyra said:
My kids have had Coke in their horn. I'm pretty sure my husband's had rum and Coke in his at some point. (Both is blaspemy, but then again, I've had some pretty odd stuff in my own horn, so I can't really complain...) Either way, it works fine. Some wine stains waxliner red, and coffee and tea melts it, but other than that, you can drink whatever you want in a waxlined horn. Not sure about that other finish that you can buy here (can't remember what it's called, but it's REALLY blasphemous! LOL).
I like my horns. Mead tastes better in a horn. Can't explain why.
We use a HUGE horn for our blòts, as we have a large number of people in circle and the horn needs to not run out of mead every two minutes. The opening end is like about the size of my (admittedly) skinny leg! My husband, who also doesn't like to run out of beer, has a huge horn. It's about the length of my arm and fits two beer at a time. His SCA name translates to "Desirous of Beer" in Old Norse for a reason. Mind you, the size of a man's penis extesion may be an indication of lack of real equippment, but don't tell him I said that. LOL.

:tickled: Buy small cars and small horns and you will be THE MAN!

warm mead? i understand warm cider, but never heard of warm mead. mmm...cider. hmm...i didn't know they had sca in canada. a horn that you can blow out of anf drink in it at the same time would be awesome :)

Sleipnir said:
Are you talking about room temperature mead or "heated/warm" and if you mean warm warm, why would you heat it up?

That's an old Anglo-Saxon thing. Not Norse. Hence has been argued over since...oooh...the early 900's? LOL. Cannot possibly be as good as cooooooold mead imho.
Pagan: Warm is different from hot. Hot, like coffe, will melt the wax, warmed mead won't.

Sure, we're Scadian in Canuckland, too. Hence I am also perfectly aware that desert heat also melts the wax on the inside of a horn. Norsewomen are so not meant to camp in desert heat!/T

DragonKeeper said:
warm mead? i understand warm cider, but never heard of warm mead. mmm...cider. hmm...i didn't know they had sca in canada. a horn that you can blow out of anf drink in it at the same time would be awesome :)

Generally, how things work around here is the drunker you get, the more horns you can blow at one time. Last event one of our dudes blew four horns out of one mouth at one time. Blowinghorns also work great as reverse cups, i.e. one of you can pour things into the top of the horn while the other drinks (chugs) the liquid out of the "blowing end". You can get really drunk really fast that way. Then it don't matter much if the mead is hot or not, I guess!