Johan's Horn cup

Tyra said:
That's an old Anglo-Saxon thing. Not Norse. Hence has been argued over since...oooh...the early 900's? LOL. Cannot possibly be as good as cooooooold mead imho.
Pagan: Warm is different from hot. Hot, like coffe, will melt the wax, warmed mead won't.

Sure, we're Scadian in Canuckland, too. Hence I am also perfectly aware that desert heat also melts the wax on the inside of a horn. Norsewomen are so not meant to camp in desert heat!/T

where did you camp out tyra, in new mexico perhaps? haha ya, i have been in 117F or so heat and it starts to melt everything, including anything rubber like the bottom of your shoes.

Tyra said:
Generally, how things work around here is the drunker you get, the more horns you can blow at one time. Last event one of our dudes blew four horns out of one mouth at one time. Blowinghorns also work great as reverse cups, i.e. one of you can pour things into the top of the horn while the other drinks (chugs) the liquid out of the "blowing end". You can get really drunk really fast that way. Then it don't matter much if the mead is hot or not, I guess!

haha that must have been fun

DragonKeeper said:
where did you camp out tyra, in new mexico perhaps? haha ya, i have been in 117F or so heat and it starts to melt everything, including anything rubber like the bottom of your shoes.

No, we actually have our own desert up here, believe it or not. It's bad enough when you're in street clothes, but in garb or garb with armour on top on a scorching hot battlefield it's not ideal for any human, never mind a Norse one...

Tyra said:
That's an old Anglo-Saxon thing. Not Norse. Hence has been argued over since...oooh...the early 900's? LOL. Cannot possibly be as good as cooooooold mead imho.
Pagan: Warm is different from hot. Hot, like coffe, will melt the wax, warmed mead won't.

Sure, we're Scadian in Canuckland, too. Hence I am also perfectly aware that desert heat also melts the wax on the inside of a horn. Norsewomen are so not meant to camp in desert heat!/T

I figured it was something along the lines of what DragonKeeper mentioned about cider, I agree nothing beats cold mead but RT mead isnt bad either.

Lisa and I have an armoire in the BR that has about 48 bottles in it, all different flavors and such. It's good to have brewers coming out of the woodwork around here :)

Warm, hot... I always get it confused. It's hard for a swede since both are very alien terms for us. But I meant heated mead (the wine type, not the beer one) which is drunk like glögg/glühwein and tastes really nice in the chilly nordic winters. I only had it in cups though sa that's why I'm asking. Heated cider I've never tried, but in Röde Orm (longships?) by Frans G. Bengtsson they talk about heated Beer which sounds a bit strange, anyone tried?

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Heated cider I've never tried, but in Röde Orm (longships?) by Frans G. Bengtsson they talk about heated Beer which sounds a bit strange, anyone tried?

Good book. That's anglo-saxon again. Never tried it, simply because I get wickedly sick from beer, but you can still get hot beer in some pubs in the UK (well, at least you could when I was last there...in the stone age). Anyhow, just beware, that the storebought mead tastes nothing like "real" mead (i.e. homebrew)

Lucky you, Sleipnir - I make my own, but I have to hide it under my bed and such, as my husband drinks it all on me. I made three batches of mead before I ever got to taste any of my own stuff...I'm told it was really good.

I tried thrre types of mead
1) Svea Viking Mjöd which was a beer tasting thing with honey in it, tastes very good, but not as good as the Belgian beer Barbär, also a hiney flavoured beer with 8% which is just divine.
2) Honey wine, made from two or three different small german producers, which tastes a bit like wine and, honry, I guess. Really good as well, and works very nice heated like glögg/glühwein.
3)At the Viking bar in berlin they make their own in all different kinds of flavours, I tried the honey one, which was really sweet and tasted like sirup or something, and I couldn't taste any alcohol in it either, not very good...

Then I triedd making my own once but without honey I think which ended up stinking like hell but it got some bubbles at least, not very good that one also...

ANd now to the question, what kind do you make?

Tyra said:
Good book. That's anglo-saxon again. Never tried it, simply because I get wickedly sick from beer, but you can still get hot beer in some pubs in the UK (well, at least you could when I was last there...in the stone age). Anyhow, just beware, that the storebought mead tastes nothing like "real" mead (i.e. homebrew)

Lucky you, Sleipnir - I make my own, but I have to hide it under my bed and such, as my husband drinks it all on me. I made three batches of mead before I ever got to taste any of my own stuff...I'm told it was really good.

We have been kicking around the idea of trying it, at the ECT this year one of the blóts we are holding is to Aegir, but the kicker is in order to participate to have to have a bottle of mead you brewed and dedicated to him. I would like to try it and I think Lisa is curious about trying also.

Here's my horn...

horn-2.jpg

Sleipnir said:
We have been kicking around the idea of trying it, at the ECT this year one of the blóts we are holding is to Aegir, but the kicker is in order to participate to have to have a bottle of mead you brewed and dedicated to him. I would like to try it and I think Lisa is curious about trying also.

Sleipnir....you go to ECT? That's where I got the horn above. J. Talkington made it! I definitely know you!!

Very nice horn!

Pagan, I've made a few different kinds. The last batch was flavoured with lavender. I don't like mine sweet, but I've made some just because it's the easiest to start with (like to learn on, you know?). The tarter stuff (like pomegranet or raspberry) generally requires tanin and additives, and I like to make mine all natural, so it requires figuring out what to add instead of chemicals (such as adding teabags instead of chemical tanin powder). Obviously, the easiest is to just make the mead plain, unflavoured, until you figure out how to do it. It's dead simple and the taste is quite nice.

How the hell do you explain mead? Like some sort of mixture between the honey wine and beer?? The homemade stuff is not like the stuff called mead in the liquor store, for sure. That stuff is more like honey wine, has no bubbles etc. I also get more alcohol in it when you make your own.
Caveat:
Mead hang-overs are the worst kind of hang-overs in the universe.

mjollnir1965 said:
Sleipnir....you go to ECT? That's where I got the horn above. J. Talkington made it! I definitely know you!!

Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahha
Gary from Vingolf.........

Tyra said:

Speaking of beer...ya in England if you ask for beer they bring you warm beer, which is gross haha. But if you ask for lager you get nice cold beer aaaahh.