John Farnham & Tom Jones

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Just got home from seeing them on their first show of the tour.

AWESOME. Much, much better than I expected it to be, and I thought it would be pretty good.

They opened together with two songs I didn't know, then John left and Tom sang for about an hour. I knew most of the songs. Surprisingly he opened with Delilah - I thought he'd leave it to the end of his set. Finished with Kiss. Then they had a fifteen minute intermission, then John sang for an hour. I knew most of the songs. Opened with One (awesome intro - a countdown from ten on the big screens, then the intro to the song plays in place of the number one). Finished with Playing to Win, which is an awesome song.

Then Tom came back on and they sang My Yiddish Mama, or whatever song it was they sang on Hey Hey years ago. Then they did a searing version of You're the Voice, which went off. Then they left the stage, and quite a few idiots thought the show was over and left. Then they came back and did Long Way to the Top, which WENT OFF. One of the top concert-going moments of my life. More people thought this was the final song and left. Idiots. Then they did another song, Try a Little Tenderness, which is one of my favourite songs but which didn't get a big response from the audience. Then they did some other songs I can't remember.

And then the piano guy started playing a riff and I thought, "Ray Charles!" Yep, they did What'd I Say. This topped Long Way to the Top as THE top concert-going moment of my life.

Then they finished.

Excellent gig. Went for about three hours. It lagged a bit for me during their individual sets because there were a couple of songs I didn't know - my seats on the floor didn't help matters because I couldn't see the stage well - but the final half hour more than made up for it. It was worth the money spent ($135, I think) just for that.

See em if you're so inclined, it's well worth it.

Yeah it does sound rather fab! I'd go myself if I had the dosh. Saw JF in Hobart in 1991 - was the first show I went to. Top stuff.

Saw the Sydney show last night, and i completely agree that it was awesome!

Your the Voice and Long Way to the Top were absolute killers!

Isis aren't meant to be a balls to the wall thrash unit with massive circle pits. If you can't find slow bands with soft parts entertaining you really need mental help.

Blast beats don't make a band.

To be brutally honest, compared to isis, no one in the Australian metal scene can write a song that is even remotely capable of being called "art". The only band that could, Alchemist have even become tiresome and predictable.

If you can't manage to get your head into a space in which isis can be enjoyed, you are narrow minded, shallow and completely void of musical taste or knowlege. Songwriting is the key here, and if you can't enjoy good songwriting, you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy life.

That's the spirit! I've not heard them, so I wouldn't know. *mental note to check them out someday*

:D

I like slow bands with soft parts. I listen to Enya regularly. Maybe if I was totally stoned or drunk I would have got into the right headspace, to really, really enjoy Isis, but I wasn't. They had good parts, but they had boring parts. Overall they were good, but I almost fell asleep. They're nice to listen to when you're doing nothing else and you can relax, but as a live band, late at night in a smoky club after a few beers and being on your feet for practically the whole day doing work, listening to Isis is not going to wake you up. Most 'arty' bands are at least 10% wank, even if they rule for the other 90%.

KoichCPA said:
To be brutally honest, compared to isis, no one in the Australian metal scene can write a song that is even remotely capable of being called "art". The only band that could, Alchemist have even become tiresome and predictable.

If you can't manage to get your head into a space in which isis can be enjoyed, you are narrow minded, shallow and completely void of musical taste or knowlege. Songwriting is the key here, and if you can't enjoy good songwriting, you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy life.
In saying all that, you are being more shallow and narrow minded than anyone.

I can't comment on Isis myself, as I haven't heard them.

Kem said:
:D

I like slow bands with soft parts. I listen to Enya regularly. Maybe if I was totally stoned or drunk I would have got into the right headspace, to really, really enjoy Isis, but I wasn't. They had good parts, but they had boring parts. Overall they were good, but I almost fell asleep. They're nice to listen to when you're doing nothing else and you can relax, but as a live band, late at night in a smoky club after a few beers and being on your feet for practically the whole day doing work, listening to Isis is not going to wake you up. Most 'arty' bands are at least 10% wank, even if they rule for the other 90%.

Going to an isis concert not stoned is a crime in itself.

considering they aim their music at stoners, and it is best enjoyed while under the influence.

The repetition and build up of songs are made for it. I would have enjoyed it not stoned yes, but my fucking jesus, that gig was magical.