JSX....Pretty Bloody Cool

lepersmeesa

Badman rudeboy
Apr 10, 2005
London
www.myspace.com
UPDATED: www.soundclick.com/parkadez JSX CLIP

So I got a JSX and 6505+ on loan today for some reamping and did some A/Bing for lead and rhythm tracks for a band I was recording.

I found at first the JSX didn't really have enough bite in the top end, but had all the mids and bass I wanted. Went to the 6505+ and found the mids were uninspiring, but had the low and high end I wanted.

After about 30 minutes of messing about I got the tone I was looking for with JSX on the crunch channel. I also used the ultra channel for the lead tones. Seriously impressed by this amp, will have some clips soon when I start mixing.

PEAVEY GIVE ME A JSX FOR FREE

n273300045_46669_3798.jpg

I was a JSX basher in the past, but tried for the second time, and i was really impressed, in fact i liked more than the 6505+ i tried the same day.

i jammed on a JSX a couple years ago in a local music shop, and i've gotta say that it was probably the most versatile amp i've ever come into contact with. the clean channel had sweet, sparkyl sheen, and the distortion channel went anywhere from slight blues crunch to full-on, balls-out death/grind saturation. it seemed like any tone i wanted was right there at the turn of a knob...no wonder satriani was willing to put his name on that beast.

don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been rather impressed with Peavey lately. I was looking for a power amp recently for a cover band project and I came across this Peavey Windsor all tube head for less than $400, I was amazed...I also purchased the Digitech 1101 to run as a preamp. but man...I can't believe how well built and decent sounding this thing is for such little cash.

Are there big differences tonaly between the crunch and ultra channels or mainly just the amount of gain?

Somewhat, but I wouldn't say too much, though since my stupid Bogner cab imparted it's own fizzy "garbage-bag" type sound on everything that went through it, that could've been a reason I didn't hear much of a difference.

Are there big differences tonaly between the crunch and ultra channels or mainly just the amount of gain?

Well after comparing all the channels from the JSX and the 6505+ I just found that I liked the voicing of the crunch channel more then the others. The mids sounded rawer, less compressed and more aggressive, to my ears anyway. I ended up using the Ultra channel for the lead parts, as I wanted a different type of sound to cut through the rhythm sound.

These were roughly the settings I used for the crunch channel

Using a sm57 and audix i5 on a jcm 900 cab with v30s and beam blockers.

Using the crunch channel with following settings (roughly, 1-10)

Resonance 5
Presence 7
Bass 5
Mids 8
Treble 6
Gain 5

Fat turned off.

n273300045_46664_2267.jpg

I like your beard! Wow. Your cab is as cut up as mine!

Yeah, those amps are seriously good if RevalverMKIII is anything to go by. I've found myself wanting one since trying the software version of it.

Well after comparing all the channels from the JSX and the 6505+ I just found that I liked the voicing of the crunch channel more then the others. The mids sounded rawer, less compressed and more aggressive, to my ears anyway. I ended up using the Ultra channel for the lead parts, as I wanted a different type of sound to cut through the rhythm sound.

These were roughly the settings I used for the crunch channel

Using a sm57 and audix i5 on a jcm 900 cab with v30s and beam blockers.

Using the crunch channel with following settings (roughly, 1-10)

Resonance 5
Presence 7
Bass 5
Mids 8
Treble 6
Gain 5

Fat turned off.

n273300045_46664_2267.jpg

Samples please !