JSX settings?

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey all,

Got a JSX coming in next week & I need some basic settings ideas for rhythm tone with it... something to put me in the ballpark, anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i played with one awhile back with a band i recorded. I really liked the gate. I primarily used the rhythm channel with a ts. i kept the treble/bass/mid knobs below 12 oclock (hard to remember, it was a while ago), and the presence down, but thats my preference. I was really happy with the clarity across entire freq. range.

the rh channel is the tits and easy to tweak (start at noon and go from there).
the ultra channel is awesome as well but can be a bitch...start somewhere here:

treb: 4-4.5
mid: 3
bass: 6-6.5
Gain: 4
pres: 6-7
reso: 6-7
fat: off

sometimes a bit difficult to balance the treb and pres...usually with the treble above 4.5/5 it gets fizzy, so I have it around 4 most of the time.
the mid knob reallly changes the tone as well, below 2.5 it's getting way too scooped and the tone gets fizzier, above 4.5 it's getting honky, I find 3 to be the sweetspot.

go from roughly those numbers and then try to tweak mids and treb do get a good balance with not too much fizz, then use the pres to brighten things up in case it got too dull.
set the bass-pot like you want, no hidden dangers hhere ;)
#

+1 to all that Lasse said. Very similar settings to what I use, though on Ultra I set gain to 6 (passives) and then use a slight TS influence for some extra mid grind and tightness, so I have the pres and reso at about 5.

Waiting for Metaltastic here.....

Haha, nah, there isn't really anything for me to contribute cuz I couldn't get a good sound out of it - Lasse is the man to give advice, though, and I'd love to hear what you can do with it Glenn!

I love the JSX. I think it was LSD in another thread stated, make sure you turn the F/X Send all the way up. I took the advice and it does make a big difference.

Try different preamp tubes to get rid of that mid honk lsd, the eh's in mine made it awfully hard to dial in, and compounded with the jjel34's crappy highs. With tungsol/jj/9thgen I loved the jjel34's! Smooth midrange again. 6l6's are better overall though, the clean channel just loves them.

Currently I'm only using the ryth channel, boosting for leads. The ultra channel adds way to much treble/fizz, might have to get it looked at. Love this amp when its dialed in right, not easy though and changes with every guitar/pickup!

Lsd,What is the differencies that you hear with the loop cranked?? with the cobra when I crank the fx loop the overall output increase, but the sound remani the same......

The loop on the jsx is awesome. Not sure if its tube buffered or not but its a very clean series loop. Adds more harmonic content when cranked to my ears, just adds a bit extra aswell as volume.