Judas Priest "Dreamer/Deceiver"

I just checked it out too - I don't really rate it at all.

It's too fast, has none of the dream-like atmosphere, lacks Halford's vocal melody (or any particularly good vocal melody) almost entirely. On the plus side, I thought the strings and female backing vocals worked nicely. Quite laughable to claim it's better than the original though.

I just checked it out too - I don't really rate it at all.

It's too fast, has none of the dream-like atmosphere, lacks Halford's vocal melody (or any particularly good vocal melody) almost entirely. On the plus side, I thought the strings and female backing vocals worked nicely. Quite laughable to claim it's better than the original though.

I agree, I thought it was pretty shite.

This track is from my favourite Priest album so it must be good but I haven't heard it (or any Priest) in so long that I can't remember :erk:

"Exciter" off of Stained Class was another one of my favourites!

Quite laughable to claim it's better than the original though.

Well yeah, I was hardly expecting the fabric of the universe to be ripped apart to allow the John Arch Law to suddenly be violated ("The first version heard of a well-liked song will be preferred 95% of the time over any later-heard, alternate versions")

But for future reference, if you ever see me claim that one piece of music is "better" than another (which apparently I didn't even do here!), that's simply my trollish way of mocking people who actually DO believe that one piece of music can be objectively "better" than another.

Neil

We've actually had several lengthy discussions about musical subjectivity here. You'll notice some people will constantly (Im often guilty) add IMO to posts they make. Most of the regulars do in fact realize that 99.9999% of everything is subjective.

This track is from my favourite Priest album so it must be good but I haven't heard it (or any Priest) in so long that I can't remember :erk:

"Exciter" off of Stained Class was another one of my favourites!

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but after you've spent a lot of time with "Unleashed in the East", the live versions make the studio counterparts sound a little inferior. Though I will say, in the example of "Exciter", it's impossible for Halford to sing all the harmonies which really make that song, but otherwise the live versions are faster, more aggressive, and a little more spontaneous.

Perhaps this is true for any good live album but it's particularly true for Priest (and Maiden's "Live After Death" for that matter).

I've been playing Unleashed in the East a great deal lately - it's surely one of the greatest live metal albums; even without harmonies, Halford's vocals are godly on too many occassions to cite, and as you say JayKeeley, the songs have even more potency with the extra speed. Most notable is probably Tyrant, the live version of which is flattening!

Matt/Demilich, why have you deprived yourself of Priesthood for so long??

I'm just not good at getting everything that I should be listening to.

I was listening to Witchfinder General Live in '83 (from some Manchester gig) and was pretty blown away by how awesome they were on that recording!

I'd had Burning a Sinner stuck in my head since they played it between sets at the Pagan Altar gig.