Judas Priest new album.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Don't know how reliable is this info but here it goes:

"Angel Of Retribution" cover design brings back the angel that showed in "Sad Winds Of Destiny", but this time looking more like an Avenging Angel
a040.gif
, and with a modern look. Known songs so far: 'Judas Rising', 'Deal With The Devil', 'Worth Fighting For', 'Hellrider' and 'Revolution', the later as possible first single.

Just bought my ticket for their consert in februari, last time I saw them was on Painkiller tour so it has been a long time.

I, too, would much prefer a "70s style Priest" record than a "Painkiller" type.

I love Painkiller, don't get me wrong, but 70s Priest was/is much more unique, melodic and, well, interesting.

In my view, "Ripper" or "Dissident Aggressor" are infinitely heavier than anything on "Painkiller". Both tunes DEFINE everything that metal is, was or should be.

I try not to get my hopes up too high for a reunion album, 'cause it usually leads to disappointment!

wdiv said:
I try not to get my hopes up too high for a reunion album, 'cause it usually leads to disappointment!
Same here, I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. I rather get a surprise than a dissapointment.

"Painkiller" is good, nobody can discuss that. But for me is they have to pull something out of the hat, I want another "Defenders Of The Faith" the model for what a metal album should be. Up to this day still my favorite JP album and if they made something 1/10 as good then we'll have a winner for sure.

Psychonaut said:
I have much faith in Priest. This will be a fine release. They know what people want so all they have to do is deliver.

That being said, let's all pray for another Turbo. haha

haha that one was a disaster.. reminded me of when Celtic Frost tried to be a hair band in the late 80's even though they are ugly mofo's makeup or not lol ... but seriously I would like to see a Priest album in the mold of Screaming for Vengeance era... my fave album of all time...

I think "Turbo" wasn't as bad for Priest image as "Cold Lake" was for Celtic Frost. I do like "Turbo" a lot, but for Judas sake (pun intended) I hope they come with another DOTF, SFV or "Painkliller"

I must say.. I find old school Priest really hard to get into. I love "Painkiller" but appart from that I'm not really fond of anything I've heard from them. They use some terrible guitar tones that really get on my nerves..

What old school Priest album would you recommend for someone trying despirately to see what everyone sees in them?

<Puts on flame proof suit and hides under my blankets>

Igor_Cavalera said:
What old school Priest album would you recommend for someone trying despirately to see what everyone sees in them?

<Puts on flame proof suit and hides under my blankets>
Maybe you can use some advice from someone who bought his first Priest album in 1976 and saw them live in 1980 for the first time :)

I have seen them 7 times in total.

Anyway, you can start of with "Unleashed in the East" and "Stained Class" the funny thing is that both album were released in 1978! As you probably know "Unleashed" is their 70s live album and its great! If you would like to hear some really classic Priest go for "Sad Wings of Destiny" I love this album! And actually it is my favorite 70s album. I like most of the studio versions of the songs on this album better than the live versions.

Another underrated classic is "Hell bent for Leather[US title]/Killing Machine [Euro Title]" Its a great album. In the beginning, stay away from "Sin after Sin". NOT that it is not a good album. It is a very good album. But it was ruined because CBS decided to let Rodger Glover [Deep Purple!!] produce it.

BAD CBS!! He ruined the albums sound. The heaviness is gone!! You can hear the difference between "Sinner" live and in the studio!
Side two of that album has some great songs however. "Call for the Priest/Raw Deal", and "Here comes the Tears" are fantastic!

I hope all this rambling makes sense to you and is helpfull. Check it out and give it some time dude. You will love it!!

Hawk said:
Another underrated classic is "Hell bent for Leather[US title]/Killing Machine [Euro Title]" Its a great album. In the beginning, stay away from "Sin after Sin". NOT that it is not a good album. It is a very good album. But it was ruined because CBS decided to let Rodger Glover [Deep Purple!!] produce it.

BAD CBS!! He ruined the albums sound. The heaviness is gone!! You can hear the difference between "Sinner" live and in the studio!
Side two of that album has some great songs however. "Call for the Priest/Raw Deal", and "Here comes the Tears" are fantastic!

The recent remaster of "Sin After Sin" sounds excellent and I highly recommend it. Songs like "Dissident Aggressor" and "Let Us Prey" are heavy as hell now.

Jean-Pierre said:
The recent remaster of "Sin After Sin" sounds excellent and I highly recommend it. Songs like "Dissident Aggressor" and "Let Us Prey" are heavy as hell now.
I got the remaster when it was released and I am still not impressed by the sound of "Sin after Sin". I guess its a personal thing.

I do agree that the quality of the songs on the album is great. Especially on side two. The overall sound quality of the album however is still weak as far as I am concerned.

Igor_Cavalera said:

I'm with Hawk. If you just want to try out 70s Priest, Unleashed in the East is a great place to start. It's live, but it sounds FANfuckingTASTIC production-wise. Of course, it's commonly known it was went through a Hollywood-caliber facelift in the studio before it was released. You've gotta meet the Green Manalishi with the Two Pronged Crown on that album!

Second would be Stained Class. That is one of their heavier albums and it features some of their best work in the 70s. Beyond the Realms of Death is one of the greatest songs ever written.