Just a thought

I think, maybe, that the original guy was joking about the calendar, but maybe not.

if you were referring to me, i was actually being serious, but with a sarcastic twist. But if you weren't referring to me, then i apologize, this is a waste of a post.

Think about it some more, our years are created from when christ was 'born'. (it was actually an incorrect time, 'christ' was 'born' many years before this time, so we are probably actually in year 2086 or something to that extent). We have been taught to live our lives according to this date.

Well, certainly our calendar was made in relation to Christ. There is a lot of debate about when he was actually born, but the foremost scholars in the field estimate between 6 and 1 BC, not like 85 years (though I'm sure you meant to exaggerate).

I just talked to my brother, who is more knowledgeable in this area. He said that the Romans used the Julian calendar, which was replaced with the Gregorian calendar (the one we use today) by the Catholics. The Hebrew calendar was 12 months of 28 days, with an additional month added (similar to our leap year) every certain number of years (he couldn't remember the exact number). He didn't know much about the Aztec or Egyptian calendar, though. So, there's some more info for the bored. Enjoy.

The earliest Egyptian calendar was based on the moon's cycles, but later the Egyptians realized that the star we call 'Sirius' rose next to the sun every 365 days, about when the annual inundation of the Nile began. Based on this, they devised a 365-day calendar that seems to have begun in 4236 B.C

The egyptian period/year was made up of twelve months of thirty days each, and five days were added at the end. Since this meant an error of about 1/4 day per year, the starting date of the year slowly drifted forward with respect to the seasons until after 1460 years it had returned to where it started. The rising of the Nile, the crucial event in the Egyptian agricultural cycle, was predicted by the heliacal rising of Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. No attention was paid to the Moon whatsoever.

If i am right, I think that the Mayans of Central America relied on the sun and moon, and also Venus, to establish 260-day and 365-day calendars. They beleived that that the creation of the world occurred in 3113 B.C. Their calendars later became portions of the Aztec calendar stones. Our 'Civilization' (*snigger*) has adopted a 365-day solar calendar with a leap year occurring every fourth year

"Time is lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
There is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun...

When you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
Sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath, one day closer to death..."

Their best song ever, in my opinion.

godisanathiest said that time is the fourth dimension. However, simply to label something as extravigant and unkown as the fourth dimension as time sounds rather....ludicrous. Throughout history whenever there was something that people could not understand, that idea would be tagged with a name and through 'time' would evolve into a final version. Such as how we figured out gravity. First we looked at objects that curve as they are thrown. From there we started dropping stuff from high windows. Related, yes, but where we finished isn't the same as where we started. I'm sure there is a fourth dimension somewhere....AHAH! I found it! Oh, false alarm, it was just the PC acting up. Anyway, I just don't think we're asking the right questions yet.

And to go back on the threads original idea of time...time appears to exist because (I hate to do this) time seems to move in a linear path. Point a goes to b goes to c. Our measurement of time has always had a logical flow. I don't know where I'm going with that. Oh well.

And to go back on the threads original idea of time...time appears to exist because (I hate to do this) time seems to move in a linear path. Point a goes to b goes to c. Our measurement of time has always had a logical flow. I don't know where I'm going with that. Oh well. [/B][/QUOTE]

so in other words your saying that we have no control over what we do because life has alread planed it out for us following the time line right?
what ever how can time be a linear line when everything is effercted by it and is in it so to speak.

You should have quit while you were ahead 'ulalah7919', that second rambling was a load of bullshit. (no offence...!)

Time does not move in a linear path, or else we could trace our path, and ultimately return there, and if this was so, we could forsee the future, as it would be straight ahead of us, everything would continue on it's current path.

Basically, you have said that life evolves and revolves around a singular destiniy, or a singularity if you will. This is not so. Was it in our 'linear path' that i am now argueing your stance on time, and ultimately argueing against your existance?? By making a certain choice, are we not altering time, taking it's path askew?

Physically speaking time is the fourth dimension We didn't invent it, we just devised a way of measuring it

Sorry dude, but we did invent time. If we had not thought to devise a way to measure it, then it simply would not have existed, it is no more a natural thing than a microwave-oven.

Sorry dude, but we did invent time. If we had not thought to devise a way to measure it, then it simply would not have existed, it is no more a natural thing than a microwave-oven.

so what your saying is that before man thought up the concept of time there was no such thing as it??? I don't think so that whow did the dinasours live and what about before the earth was even crated did every thing just happend as soon as one man said "Hey there's a such think as time"

Tell me, would we even be having this discussion if 'we' had not invented time?

It has been hammered into your mind from when you were a child that 'time exists', same as people who were told that 'god exists'. We have only just begun to question 'god', how long will it take for people to start questioning the existence of time?

Originally posted by Trapped

It has been hammered into your mind from when you were a child that 'time exists', same as people who were told that 'god exists'. We have only just begun to question 'god', how long will it take for people to start questioning the existence of time?

ohh I understand what your saying but you have to develop of way of dertemining the distants between event which we call time which is just a measurment not something made up. I mean the earth would have the same radius (had we not invented math which is another thing that was just a way of measuring we didn't invent math it just "is" and is measured in some form or another)even if we didn't come up with some form of measurment to see what the distance is.

and maybe even existence....

and maybe even existence....

hell yes, that's the point i was trying to make.

had we not invented math which is another thing that was just a way of measuring we didn't invent math it just "is" and is measured in some form or another

no, if we had not invented maths, maths would not have existed, things would have 'just been', there would have been no metre, no centimetre, there would be no maths.

don't get me wrong, i hear what you're saying, i'm just trying to raise the point that not everything 'simply exists'. Think of everything, like time or maths for example, in relation to religion. Would god have just 'existed' if we had not created him?

yeah I under stand what you're saying trapped but I'm just saying that just cause we put a name to something doen't mean that we created it. We just had to but a way to measure it to try and realise what is going on, or how and why something does whatever it does

My thoughts:

Time exists, just as gravity does, just our method of measuring it is man-made. Certainly you don't believe that there is no such thing as past, present, or future? If there was no time, we'd all be unable to move because we couldn't change from our current state. Without time, my typing this would have to occur simultaneously with every other occurrence in my life, which just isn't the case. For that matter, without time, none of us would exist. Things move forward, there is a possibility they can move backward, though we've yet to discover how. Just because we decided on an arbitrary way to measure time doesn't mean that time itself is a man-made concept. We can't see the future because it has not yet been determined. Every action we do affects the future, and we DO have a choice about what we do. This all reminds me of the last episode of Star Trek: TNG. An anti-time eruption grows backwards through time and almost destroys existence. Interesting, even if you don't like Star Trek. So, if the theories about anti-time are true, then time travel into the past would be possible by utilizing anti-time, but it would reset everything, including your memory and age, so you wouldn't know about the future anyway (which would make it pointless).

Comments?

Certainly you don't believe that there is no such thing as past, present, or future?

It is not possible, or logical to beleive that there is a 'past' other than what we have written in our history books. There is no 'past' that is happening at this point. What's done is done, it doesn't get relived over and over again. That is just plain ludicrous. The past is gone, non-existant.

There IS a present, that is what we are living right this very second. I never said that there was no 'present'.

The same goes for 'the future'. there is no road ahead of us, we choose our own direction, and when we travel that path, it becomes the present, rather than progressing into the future.

It is not possible, or logical to beleive that there is a 'past' other than what we have written in our history books. There is no 'past' that is happening at this point. What's done is done, it doesn't get relived over and over again. That is just plain ludicrous. The past is gone, non-existant.

There IS a present, that is what we are living right this very second. I never said that there was no 'present'.

so in other words your saying that we live in the forever present. so can 2 differnet peple take 2 differnt present paths?? that doen't make any sence

You mistook what i read, Opth_001.

When i said present, i wasn't saying that as in the 'Time Frame' present, I don't beleive (for it is simply illogical), that there is a 'present time', for if i did, then that would mean that there would be a dimensional-time-frame of the past, and a time of the future, and we simply had not reached that point.

By saying 'present', (which was possibly the wrong word to use...!), i was meaning that we are not living life according to a preset path, we are cutting our own way without 'being on a track' as such.

By saying that 'there is a future', you are saying that what we do now has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our future, and how life will be lived. You are basically saying that if (for example!) a series of nuclear-warheads were dropped on all of asia, and asia was totally wiped out and beneath the sea, that this would alter nothing, for our future is already set out for us?

Hahaha...ntombed99 and me are on the same page. Someone mentioned the Nile river and my mind went there instead of time and I had to...did the Egyptians really jerk off into the Nile once a year to replenish the life that it brought to their civilization?

:err: :p

Imagine if we didn't count the time like we do? We just rose when we did and slept when we did? So much would be so different. I don't think it could be done. How could humans resist it? Counting days? I don't think we could. We're too curious.