Just a thought

I think the world would be a much different place, a much better place actually. Everyone would be living life at their own pace, rather than stressing; Which would in-turn lower specific cancer-rates, which then would leave funding for other parts of health-and-hospital studies.

Originally posted by Trapped
You mistook what i read, Opth_001.

When i said present, i wasn't saying that as in the 'Time Frame' present, I don't beleive (for it is simply illogical), that there is a 'present time', for if i did, then that would mean that there would be a dimensional-time-frame of the past, and a time of the future, and we simply had not reached that point.

By saying 'present', (which was possibly the wrong word to use...!), i was meaning that we are not living life according to a preset path, we are cutting our own way without 'being on a track' as such.

By saying that 'there is a future', you are saying that what we do now has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our future, and how life will be lived. You are basically saying that if (for example!) a series of nuclear-warheads were dropped on all of asia, and asia was totally wiped out and beneath the sea, that this would alter nothing, for our future is already set out for us?

Ok I understand but unfortunaly I can't believe in that bacause I think that we do have a choice of our future I would hate to think that I had no contol over what I want to do because it's already been decied for me. Ohh well we all think what we want to.

Read my post again dude, that is what i was saying.

we are cutting our own way without 'being on a track' as such

The whole point of my post was to get my point across that there is no-such thing as a future. You challenged my post, remember?

so in other words your saying that we live in the forever present. so can 2 differnet peple take 2 differnt present paths?? that doen't make any sence

I think you're getting a little muddled up :lol:

What about time travel then? Is that possible?

No I don't think that you can anymore I used to think that time and light were interconnected and that you could pull light back together to go back in time but now I don't think that it is possible becuase if it was possible that somebode somewhere in the universe would have figured it out and we would have seen someone from the future. Sorry about my runon sentences

So, by your logic if you can't experience something, it doesn't exists? So, since I can't go inside the sun, the inside of the sun doesn't exist? Sorry for poking fun, I just didn't think your argument was very convincing. I can kind of see your point; what you're basically saying is that past and future do not exist in the present. Which makes sense, but I think it is a very limited point of view. The future is being written in the present; each action we have effects the future. So, while it isn't complete until it becomes the present, it does exist in an icomplete form (i.e. an action that has already occurred could have reprocussions far into the future but nothing immediate). The past has already occurred and maintains its existence in our memories. I can remember past experiences as vividly as present experiences, thus, imo, they still exist, if only in my memory.

As for time travel, do you believe cryogenic freezing is possible? That basically slows time down for the individual frozen while time goes by regularly for everyone else, so basically they travel into the future because for them virtually no time has passed. I, personally, think time travel into the past would also be possible (thought not very likely anytime soon :) ), but I think it would be a reversal of all things, including the age of the traveller and their memory. I don't see how they would travel back in time while maintaining their own forward motion. Maybe if his time is slowed down, then he would revert at a slower pace and it could have a similar effect to cryogenic freezing. Of course, I may be a loon :lol:

The future is being written in the present

No! No! No! The future is not being written 'in the present', for we will ALWAYS be in the present, we will never reach 'the future'.

As for time travel, do you believe cryogenic freezing is possible? That basically slows time down for the individual frozen while time goes by regularly for everyone else

Cryogenics does no such thing. 'Time' does not slow down at all.....? I don't fully understand Cryogenic freezing, so if you can tell me a bit more about it would be good... thnx.

what you're basically saying is that past and future do not exist in the present

If you were refering to -my- earlier post(?), yes that is exactly what i was trying to get across.

The past has already occurred and maintains its existence in our memories. I can remember past experiences as vividly as present experiences, thus, imo, they still exist, if only in my memory.

You mistook what i meant, I wasn't saying that 'the past hasn't happened', i was meaning that 'the past' isn't an existing place, i don't beleive in multi-dimensional existance (other than multi dimensional thought and mind...), for that would mean that there will be an infinite number of 'dimensions', and we would never remain in the same dimension, which would mean that every time someone makes a choice, they are whisked off to another dimension, and no longer exist in this world.

Ah, I see. You're arguing against infinite parallel realities. It is an interesting theory, I have to admit, but I don't really buy into it. I'm starting to see what you mean more now.

I don't know if cryogenic freezing will ever be a reality, but some scientists seem to think so. Basically a person is frozen, thus slowing their heart to a point where it is barely functioning. Since the blood barely flows through the body, they don't age (well, they do at an infintesimal rate) and are kept preserved in their current state for long periods of time. For them, going into it and coming out seem instantaneous, while they could have been frozen for hundreds of years. I was just saying that that would sort of be a method for travelling into the future, but it would be a one-way trip. Time moved forward, they did not. Their present wouldn't be the same as everyone elses because for them time would be moving at a different rate. So, for them our present would be their future.

Just some interesting theory to add to the interesting discussion.

It is possible, but restricting the blood-flow to the brain would cause permanent-brain-damage.

Time moved forward, they did not

But they did move with time, time did not slow down... They simply did not age. There is no such thing as an 'internal-body-clock', for if there was, everyone would die at the same age exactly. Age is simply wear and tear that your body gets, just like a car-motor.

TRAPPED
For one thing...I did not say that time is linear I said that time seems to be linear. SEEMS. Very important wording. Same to OPTH001.

Here is a slight comparison. Let's say a dog weighs about fifteen pounds. It's a small dog. How is it's weight calculated? We know because of gravity. The specific gravity that holds us against the Earth 24/7 gave us that. However, gravity is a theory. It has been proven many a time, but it is still a theory. We're pretty damn sure it's there...and it seems to work...but in essence it is still a theory.

May I also mention that man cannot invent time. Time was already there. Man simply gave it a name, some numbers and wallah! Time! How would man noticed such a thing? Time has been around for much longer than gravity. Well, you can always say via cycles. Everyday of the year the sun appears in the sky in a pattern. The seasons always follow a predetermined patern (determined by whom...or what!) you always have a wet season after the season of snow flurries.

Quote by Opth_001
"yeah I under stand what you're saying trapped but I'm just saying that just cause we put a name to something doen't mean that we created it. We just had to but a way to measure it to try and realise what is going on, or how and why something does whatever it does"

And now I just realized I have repeated what Opth_001 had said....just longer.

I skipped the bulk of this thread, just so I could say this.

The concept of time travel is unworkable. Even if you had a fully working, fully functioning, 'time machine', you would just be stuck in a loop.

Example #1.

You build a time machine.
There is one guy at work, who really, really, REALLY annoys you. So you get your time machine, go back in time 100 years and kill his grand parents.
Great, so they're dead, and he never existed.
BUT, if he never existed, you never went back in time and killed his grand parents.
So his great-grand parents lived on, had a happy life, and gave birth to children. And so forth. He is born again.
BUT, since he was born, you DO go back in time and kill his grand parents.
BUT, since they are dead, they never gave birth to him. Therefore, you didnt go back in time and killed them.

See what I mean?

Originally posted by Sullen Jester
I skipped the bulk of this thread, just so I could say this.

The concept of time travel is unworkable. Even if you had a fully working, fully functioning, 'time machine', you would just be stuck in a loop.

Example #1.

You build a time machine.
There is one guy at work, who really, really, REALLY annoys you. So you get your time machine, go back in time 100 years and kill his grand parents.
Great, so they're dead, and he never existed.
BUT, if he never existed, you never went back in time and killed his grand parents.
So his great-grand parents lived on, had a happy life, and gave birth to children. And so forth. He is born again.
BUT, since he was born, you DO go back in time and kill his grand parents.
BUT, since they are dead, they never gave birth to him. Therefore, you didnt go back in time and killed them.

See what I mean?

Yeah, thats the classical example.
I don't know if that has been said already because i didnt read the whole thread either, but as far as i know there is a new theory about this problem, which says, that if you travel back in time you will arrive in a universe which is parallel to ours, so if you kill the grandparents of the guy who helped you build the time machine, the guy would never have existed...in the parallel universe. But this doesnt affect the universe you come from, so the guy will still be born in our universe.

ulalah7919... Time is just a theory aswell. We cannot prove that time exists. Time may never change, we may just choose to change our ways without time coming into it.

You say yourself with the gravity thing, we are pretty sure it's there, but it's just a theory. It's the same thing with time.

I think we may be talking about totally different things here, what is your definition of time? What are you refering to?

I am referring to 'time' as in a past, present and future.

There is only ever a present, and there will never be a future, as by the time we 'reach the future', it will be the present. The same goes for 'the past', although 'the past' is in our memories, and we remember what may have happened, it is not like that is being lived over and over and over again, WHILE we prgress.

Time travel is impossible and illogical. Just think about it, what you did yesterday is NOT being lived over and over again in a number of different dimensions that were created through the different choice-possiblities.

I am referring to 'time' as in a past, present and future.

There is only ever a present, and there will never be a future, as by the time we 'reach the future', it will be the present. The same goes for 'the past', although 'the past' is in our memories, and we remember what may have happened, it is not like that is being lived over and over and over again, WHILE we prgress.

Time travel is impossible and illogical. Just think about it, what you did yesterday is NOT being lived over and over again in a number of different dimensions that were created through the different choice-possiblities.

I would have to agree that would be consitent of haveing a time line (having a past present and future). if there was alternate reality that wold mean that there would have to be an infinate number of them just like on sliders. . . they were never going to get home because the chances are 1:infinity.

Are you sure that gravity is a theory because it cuases changes in everything and has effects on life and the univers I'm sure someone can prove beyond dout that it's there

We know FOR SURE that gravity exists... We are held to the earth by it... But we cannot PROVE that it exists, even if we ARE sure of it's existance. So yes, it is just a theory

time is just another dimension like length, width, height, its simply a means to describe and catalogue an object's or event's position in space, simply a coordinate, but as for past present and future, do they exist? when does something cease being future and become present, whats the "time" span of the present? 1 second? 1 millisecond? 1 nanosecond? no neither the future, past nor even present exists

I give props to TRAPPED for picking up on what I said on my comparison of time to gravity. And I am viewing time just the same as most people are...there is past (then), present (now), and future (soon).

I've noticed several postings regarding alternate realites...I'll give you my unprovable input in terms of a story. A bad one, but a story none the less.

We have our hero, Jim Carter. It is the year 2001. Terrorists have seized control of a nearby nursing home leaving all hope to the hands of one man. Jimmy! So, Jim grabs his magnum and strolls off to the nursing home and saves the day. He is given the key to the city, and his face is immortalized in a sculpture that stands within the nursing home.

How many ways could that have worked out? Thousands. Maybe Jim was hit by a stray bullet. Maybe he ran in shooting and eating a cheeseburger, and chokes on the cheeseburger until he is no more. What happens to these alternate paths that are never crossed?

One theory relates to alternate realites. For every choice that is not played out in one reality, is followed another reality. Of course, there is absolutely no way to prove this to be true. Modern science at best can only make attempts to emulate the world around us. Attempting to test the theory would also be a shot in the dark. No one would know where to look, or what to look for.

Assuming you would buy into the whole alternate reality, I suppose you should also be able to buy into time travel. Assuming there are many alternate realities, there is bound to be ones in the past, and ones in the future. Then, with proper equipment either bought in mass at Sam's club or Aldi's, you theoretically could "jump" from reality to reality.