Just Curious...

Dave - Power of Omens

some guitar player
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
powerofomens.com
There are so many great bands out there, and each one of them approach writing music in a different way. When you listen to music, or check out new bands, what do you listen for? What to you, makes up the formula for a great band? What makes you go, "DAMN!!! This band really kicks ass!!!!"????

Just Curious.... :)

Dave

Musicianship

I demand that the instrumentalists perform with technical proficiency and passion.

Coherent song structures (songcraft is paramount)

Talented vocalist (unless it's an instrumental band) who has a versatile range of expression and is convincing

Being a drummer myself... the drums must be interesting... not the same boom-chick-boom-chick... I also like interesting bass... no duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh... too many bands neglect these instruments...

Well, I am no musician, but I know what I like. The vocals play a big part for me. Personally, I like death type vocals the most. Black metal vocals get old real fast. Clean vocals have to be stellar to keep me interested, ie the prog metal band Wolverine.

Great guitar work is also a necessity. Nothing boring and rehashed.

As far as drums, just keep it interesting and varied.

Wheee, hard question...Of course I don't have an exact definition and so I can only try to explain it... Musicianship is not THAT important to me ( excludes songwriting here..! )! Better solid music with energy in it than abstract and technically high skilled music without soul or drive...And it has to contain a special "feeling" that makes the music enjoyable...it has to be a well balanced combination of several elements: it has to be without constraint, natural, serious ( "from the heart" ) and, to a certain degree, it should be varied ( songwriting )...
--->EXPRESSIVENESS

:)

Really tough....
Music, for me, has to make something move inside me. It can be new and refreshing bands like the German StormWarrior, who sound like old Helloween plus really old Running Wild, it can be bands like Leviathan (RIP!) who wrote absolutely wonderful lyrics combined with excellen Prog Metal, it can be my alltime fave band Fates Warning (no comment) - or it can be Power Of Omens, who, every time I listen to them, make me think "YEs. That's It! This is eternal music. This is MY music!".

Music has so many facets to explore and I'm curious to explore more. Although I'm an "old school"-head (and I HATE all this NO-Metal crap) I'm sure that there are thousands of bands right now rehearsing that will kick my ass soon enough...

Michael

Of course CREATIVITY.
Creative lines of each instrument is fundamental,call this musicanship if you want :)
The "Replay" factor is very important too..and of course,the feeling.If the band have good lyrics it just turns the band BETTER,but if it doesnt have good lyrics,it doesnt make it worse.I love instrumental bands and they have no lyrics :)
I'm just tired of that "So the dragoooon" thing or the "We love Satan WAAAAH YWAWHAWHAWY".c'mon,cliché sucks hard.
My keyword is Creativity.

I like contrasts: soft/intense - melodic/technique....
I like very much when the music is emotive and dramatic and I really enjoy the complexity
About the musicians, I take special atention to the vocals and the guitars. A bad vocalist can ruin a good work of the intrumentists.
The guitarris must be good in thechnique and feeling.
Keyboards: I almost don't listen music without keys, so this is very important to me.

It has to "click" instantly.
Music for me doesn't need to be all perfection, technicality, versatility, shreds, growls, grunts, speed...
Music has to strike a chord of my heart strings. Music has to touch my soul. I need feeling, emotion and substance. A song has to "speak" to me in order to make me feel good, whether it'd be with or without lyrics.
I am not just listening to music for sheer entertainment...

I echo this thought. I need artists that don't sound like knockoffs of other artists. There needs to be ORIGINALITY in purpose.I look at music and think "Gee, was there anybody else in the world who could have decided to create THAT song?" If I respond "yes", then I don't purchase the work of the artist

Admittedly, what I hear from P of O isn't in any way original or creative, but it is performed most competently, with a masterful degree of skill, and mechanical talent.

Originally posted by Orlock
Of course CREATIVITY.
Creative lines of each instrument is fundamental,call this musicanship if you want :)
The "Replay" factor is very important too..and of course,the feeling.If the band have good lyrics it just turns the band BETTER,but if it doesnt have good lyrics,it doesnt make it worse.I love instrumental bands and they have no lyrics :)
I'm just tired of that "So the dragoooon" thing or the "We love Satan WAAAAH YWAWHAWHAWY".c'mon,cliché sucks hard.
My keyword is Creativity.

Guitar. Is has to have a guitar. And it has to be heavy. Most of the time. I think it's kind of unfair to think that just because a band sounds unoriginal the first listen or two, that doesn't mean they are. I like Primal Fear even though Ralf Scheepers is a little bit too Halfordish sometimes. I will always love that band though, I know that. Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth is a little harsh on bands that "sound like Helloween knock-offs" but some bands out of Europe that are in this category get a lot of attention, thus they mustn't suck that much. This originality thought sorta cemented itself in my mind once I realized I like Tantric even though they seem another Alice In Chains clone. They still sound good. Shadowkeep (England) sound like the really early Queensryche, while P of O take a lot of influence from the later stuff (maybe all QR?). It's frickin hard to be original, ya know?
My favorite bands are ones like Nevermore, Testament, Iron Maiden, etc. that people CONSTANTLY try to pigeonhole into some "genre." That goes to show how original they truly are and how talented. Discussions like this can go on forever, but all I know is if it's on the radio or Mtv, chances are I can't stand it! Support music, not fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally speaking, I'm just looking for something that reaches out, grabs me by the lapels, and starts shaking me. Of course, that's pretty vague, so...

In general, I happen to like stuff that's got some appreciable texture to it; dense soundscapes are always appreciated, as is thickly-layered production. Songwriting, of course -- I don't care if the band can play six thousands RPMs and change meters every one-point-three seconds, if they can't write a good song. And urgency, too; many a great band has been done in, in my opinion, because their stuff just rambles on and on without any purpose, or direction, or vitality. Memorable melodies and thoughtful lyrics are also big pluses.

Well, that's what I look for, anyway. Genres don't matter too much to me -- I like what I like, and I don't care if that means my CD changer is loaded with everything from Aimee Mann to Killswitch Engage at the same time. And so far as originality goes... I like to hear bands that think outside of the box, but there are apparently so few of those who can do that and manage most of the above that I'm just as likely to give points to a highly derivative band with better songs.

There are my two cents; I'm not at all sure I phrased it well, but... what are you going to do?

--Brian