just got Maiden's DEATH ON THE ROAD

Thorngren

Project Genocide
Apr 2, 2005
The Napa Valley
www.livejournal.com
i dig it..... all the DoD songs seem to sound better live, and seem to flow well together with all their older material

only thing bothers me about it is we get the 14th version of Hallowed, Number, Run, Wraithchild, Iron Maiden and Trooper. now i actually think all the songs sound better on here than on RiR, but i woulda rather had those replced by these tracks: Still Life, Revolations, Powerslave, Futureal, Stranger and Infinite Dreams.

overall though, i think its worth it because they play a good number of new tracks (6 new tracks and they all sound fantastic) and extra points for playing Lord of the Flies (we need more Blaze era live tracks).

IMO, not really worth the (GASP!!!) 30 bucks the music store wanted it for (i got it for 20 because i know the boss n used to work there) but if you have a choice between this or Rock In Rio i'd pick this one up personally. in a few months it should drop to 20 bucks normal like RiR did. RiR had the same older tracks, only w/ aa few more on it's setlist (Clansman, Sign of the Cross, 2 Minutes and Sanctuary) but this one is overall more quality.

Bonus points for live version of Can I Play With Madness (which aint on Live After Death or Rock In Rio) and Paschendale, which just screams 'Maiden classic' in this live version, the standout track of the album IMO.

still though, nothing can hold up to Live After Death.... Maiden at their peak. but this is a great live album; all the new tracks sound meaty and killer, all the older stuff sounds great, and while listening to this you just know Maiden has it in em to put out years more of quality stuff

I think this is a great live album! The song selection is strong and, as stated, the DOD tunes sound intense here. Great stuff.

Again, my only gripe is with the production. For reasons unknown, Harris contunies to keep the guitar sound buried in the mix. Three guitarists, yet we feel none of the POWER that metal is known for. Harris may not have produced this, but you can bet Kevin Shirley was 'given direction' from Harris on how to mix it.

Listen to the guitars on LAD or Beast on the Road and compare them to the sound of this one or RIR or the dreadful, godawful "Real Live Dead Ones".

No-Mercy said:
indeed, everything maiden fuckin kicks ass!!!

Agreed 100%!!!!

No-Mercy said:
it's hard for me though to choose LAD, RIR, DOTR, and such over the rest...i love all maiden :D

Come on now, LAD is a complete classic, nothing can compare for me. It's my all time favorite live album!! :)

:OMG: shit... I've been so busy I totally spazed on this release!

MAIDEN!MAIDEN!MAIDEN! :worship: The first time I heard Pachendale live is gave me goosebumps...

extra points for playing Lord of the Flies (we need more Blaze era live tracks).
Bruce going an octave higher than Blaze on the chorus really fucking lifts this song. I always thought it was great, but the chorus becomes fucking majestic on this live disc.

it is a very good live album, lord of the flies was the stand out track for me personally, but altho i am a true maiden fan it is just like all they're other albums only wiv like 4 new songs on it, sorry to anyone who may take offence to that

I really don't find anything interesting in Maiden's milionth live release...
They seem to have at least half of the show always the same, with the same old lame excuse "because there are always new fans who want to hear them"... :yuk:

Well Steve, you should reckon there are much more old fans who would like to see you and the guys get up from your asses and re-learn Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Public Enema Number One, Still Life or any other song you haven't played in a long while. Or better yet, the songs you've NEVER played before live, like Flash Of The Blade, Duellists or Alexander The Great! Use the 3rd guitar, for God's sake! THAT would be a real treat, not that dreading intro "woe to you..." which makes me puke already....

Therefore, I'm very anxious to hear them on the next tour, which should be free of those overplayed smash hits and bursting with mid 80s masterpieces. :headbang: :worship:

I'm glad to hear it's good, I'd heard some comments elswhere about Bruce having an off night on on the disc. When I saw them this year he was SPOT ON. I mean, just vibrant and his range was awesome.

Anyway, for me it's hard to beat Beast Over Hammersmith at this point, though I will pick this up when I see it used.

SickBoy said:
Therefore, I'm very anxious to hear them on the next tour, which should be free of those overplayed smash hits and bursting with mid 80s masterpieces. :headbang: :worship:
I concur 100% but don't forget that they also played songs solely from the first 4 albums on the last euro tour :) "Remember Tomorrow", "Where Eagles Dare", "Murders in the Rue Morgue"... now that was a treat.

Even if they skipped "To Tame a Land" once again, when will they play it? damn shame...