just started

messakin

go forth and die
Sep 19, 2006
Valle Imperial, California
I just bought my first katatonia cd The Great Cold Distance about two weeks ago and i haven't stop listening to it. I was somewhat suprised at how good the cd was since a friend of mine recommended opeth to me when i told him i like the song leaders from katatonia. Me being new to both bands i bought opeths most recent cd cause i found it first and was kinda disappointed and now it just sits and collects dust......anyways i was wondering if anybody knows where i can sample some other Katatonia albums so i can see what albums i would like to start looking to buy? Any help would be really appreciated.

The website, myspace, napster, hell even amazon. It's not hard to find samples.

If you like tgcd you will definitely like viva emptiness, and last fair deal. I suggest viva first.

Every album has its own unique sound and none of the albums suck.

They are all good.

All the way from Dance of December Souls to TGCD.

You can also listen to some samples off iTunes.

so? the guys asking for advice
whats wrong with that?

I really don't want to get deep into this...but this is the internet/computer age. If you can't get/find what you want...you haven't even looked in my opinion.

There's good times asking for advice, and not so good ones.

I'll leave it at that...but this is in no way being rude...just stating the obvious.

Buy the Black Sessions and see for yourself,it includes the hot songs from the newer stuff...If you liked TGCD you probably will like all the albums done after Brave Murder Day...Btw Opeth's last release is kinda disapointing,try Damnation...

Easy answer: Get Viva Emptiness - the second newest album.

Since you like The great cold distance, this album would be the natural follow up to get. And then i guess you could work you way backwards in the catalogue.

29cvzbq.gif

Easy answer: Get Viva Emptiness - the second newest album.

Since you like The great cold distance, this album would be the natural follow up to get. And then i guess you could work you way backwards in the catalogue.
I agree, the older albums (the ones before LFDGD) might be harder to get into if your into more professional sounding stuff. I started with their earlier work because I was more into metal at that time. But every Katatonia album has something special to it, like posted before.

I was actually gonna try getting an album with harsher vocals next any ideas where to start with that. or should i really just go backwards through the catalog? which i really wouldn't mind doing since when i did that with inflames albums they really did get better.

I was actually gonna try getting an album with harsher vocals next any ideas where to start with that. or should i really just go backwards through the catalog? which i really wouldn't mind doing since when i did that with inflames albums they really did get better.
honestly it's up to you man..
i agree with going backwards through their catalog..
you'll find their earlier stuff to be quite more raw, less professional sounding, and maybe even a little repetitious..
it took me quite a while to get into their first several albums, but now they are some of my favorites...
it really depends on what kind of music you're used to
but it will definatley be a smoother transition if you now jump to Viva Emptiness (a fucking superb album) then to Last Fair Deal Gone Down, then Tonight's Decision, Discouraged Ones, Brave Murder Day, Dance of December Souls...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDPBsZvdick
Here's a link to a video some guy made
its a tribute to the band
its only 3 and a half minutes long but it has pictures and sound samples of each album 1st to newest.. you may be able to get a feel for which you want to try next
have fun!
enjoy the music!:kickass: