kahler or floyd rose?

scarr3d

Real Life Death
Aug 5, 2001
portland, OR
www.speakeasy.net
does anyone have any experience with either of these trem systems? i just picked up a backup guitar, which i'm tearing apart right now... a bc rich warlock for $99 US dollars. :)

tia,

scarr3d

No experience with Kahlers, personally. Floyds do the job, and a good one will help you out a lot. If you plan to do whammy harmonics, I've heard people say that Kahlers stop them from ringing out properly.

i personally hate floyd rose. I never used a Kahler. If you do a lot of different tuning, like from standard to drop C, i do not recommend a floyd rose. They are also a pain in the ass to tune. If you do get a floyd rose and you have a bunch of guitars and you tune all of them different, the floyd rose is ok. However, you are gonna need to get different springs for the different tension of a drop tuned guitar.

Scarr3d, what did you want to know about either in specific?

There's nothing wrong with a perfectly set up Floyd and downtuning I have a guitar set to C# with 11-56. No problems whatsoever.

To downtune, you loosen the claw screws... and or remove springs to your liking. The springs will only determine how hard or soft you pull up/dive with it. 3 springs will make it stiffer, but offer better return to pitch.

Kahlers are a bit tricker to downtune, as you might need to replace a spring, and unlike Floyds, springs aren't always easy to find locally.

Personally, I like string-thru tunomatic type bridges best, but most of my guitars have OFR or Floyd copies. I have 2 kahler trem equpped guitars....

Yeah, it's pretty easy once you know how to set them up... just a little time consuming.

Every time you change tunings and string gagues, you you generally need to readjust the neck and re-intonate, regardless of bridge type.

As long as you keep the floyd base level with the guitar body, you should have minimal troubles.

The problem with Kahler is that they are not as readily available so if you need parts you'll be put in a situation where your guitar is sidelined for a few months. Another thing is that huge fucking cavity on the front of the body that the Kahler needs and since you string it with the balls left on the strings it has a tendency to break at the balls so you might have to start using Fender Bullet strings. Not to mention it has little contact with the wood (huge cavity again) so it pretty much robs your guitar of most of the tonewood's qualities.

Use the floyd, it works, it's great, it's all I use.

Originally posted by ChickenScratch
The problem with Kahler is that they are not as readily available so if you need parts you'll be put in a situation where your guitar is sidelined for a few months. Another thing is that huge fucking cavity on the front of the body that the Kahler needs and since you string it with the balls left on the strings it has a tendency to break at the balls so you might have to start using Fender Bullet strings. Not to mention it has little contact with the wood (huge cavity again) so it pretty much robs your guitar of most of the tonewood's qualities.

Use the floyd, it works, it's great, it's all I use.

The route for a floyd removes at least 3 times MORE wood from a body than a flatmount Kahler, which only needs a small route on front, none on back...

Also, the Floyd is more of a tone theft than a Kahler. The Floyd's only contact with the body are the two knife edges on the trem posts, and where the claw screws into the body... The Kahler has much better sustain than a Floyd any day...

Surely I think you're confused.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Yeah, it's pretty easy once you know how to set them up... just a little time consuming.

Every time you change tunings and string gagues, you you generally need to readjust the neck and re-intonate, regardless of bridge type.

As long as you keep the floyd base level with the guitar body, you should have minimal troubles.

:D Still an absolute pain in the arse, I'm sure you'll agree ;)

Also, anyone noticed that the spring age and stretchiness affects the feel of the guitar? Bends and the like, flutters with the bar etc...

The other thing about floyd's is the restringing...I've put it of for about a month now, but this saturday is pain day... Time to restring several guitars and a friends :( ... there goes my saturday

Other thing was the pure morbid fear I remember restringing my first floyd guitar. Scary or what? needless to say I also fucked up the bridge overtightning it :(

sorry....am rambling. the start of senility. Am getting old:loco:

Yeah, I don't change strings as regularly as I do on my string thru.

Spring age? Yeah, but if you're using three or more springs, they'll never receive enough tension over a 20 year span to warrant replacement...

Yeah, don't overtighten...

floyd roses are really good. i have on one of my guitars, make sure you get an original one because the shit versions dont really stay in tune. there is no problem with tunening, because you can just removed the head locks off and its like a standard guitar tuning. and its a lot faster to re string

Depends on what Licensed Version Floyds you're talking about...

Most of them, if well maintained and properly set up, should give you no problems...

Original Floyd Rose trems are the best though.