Kalmah...coroner!!!

dRIFTWOOD

Nov 15, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
:Spin: just got a couple cds from the-end records...CORONER'S "Mental Vortex", and KALMAH'S "Swampsong".
Finally! I've been meaning to pick up some Coroner for a long time...they rock! My question is compare/contrast their other cds for me. Similar? Is this better or worse? I think it was their last one, right? I really dig it!

For those of you into Children of Bodom, you'll like Kalmah for sure! VERY heavy, and quite fast in parts. I like it alot! These Finnish guys are definitely talented. Yeah, there are keyboards and while it would absolutely crush without them, I don't mind too much. Very evident on each track, but I don't think they're overpowering. Recommended for melodic thrash w/harsh vocals fans, you won't be disappointed.

Hey MI...blessed hellride is good, but i agree with the guy who said it felt re-hashed. From start to finish based on a good variety of tracks, 1919 Eternal is better IMO. On hellride, my faves are #6 and #8...those are the best I think...what about you?[/FONT] :Spin:

I love Kalmah. Very cool band. I love how they just let the music play sometimes without vocals for like 30 seconds to 2 minutes. They are very talented musicians.

Nice pick up on MENTAL VORTEX, it was the bands absolute finest work! You might want to go back and pick up album number 2 - PUNISHMENT FOR DECADENCE and then the 3rd release NO MORE COLOR. This one is more of a mix of the one you got and Punishment. All 3 are amazing. The 1st record was an EP called R.I.P. and might even come on the Punishment cd. Its good, but nowhere near as amazing as its 3 successors. The last album was called Grin and I wouldnt bother to pick it up.

HUNGER OF THE UNDEAD said:
Nice pick up on MENTAL VORTEX, it was the bands absolute finest work! You might want to go back and pick up album number 2 - PUNISHMENT FOR DECADENCE and then the 3rd release NO MORE COLOR. This one is more of a mix of the one you got and Punishment. All 3 are amazing. The 1st record was an EP called R.I.P. and might even come on the Punishment cd. Its good, but nowhere near as amazing as its 3 successors. The last album was called Grin and I wouldnt bother to pick it up.

"No More Color" is one of my faves, and yes, I agree... "Grin" is pretty bad.

...a guy....are we being sarcastic or serious? I've heard from other guys that "Grin" was their weakest effort. This is my hard earned coin we're talkin' about! HA! The thing that sucks is that with these two I also ordered Dew-Scented's "Impact", but they shipped only these due to "unavailablity". Looking forward to hearing that disc for sure. The Dew-boys crush!!!

They were thinking, "Yeah, we're Coroner, we rock, let's make an awesome album to go out on!"...........................or something. :err:

Driftwood - Totally serious. Yeah there's some filler crappo, but when they're good, they're GOOD.

Cathedral rocks also. Great choice!

I have them all too, and play them all the time!

VIIth Coming is a great album. It's one of the more straight ahead metal albums from them, but can still turn up a doomy part or two. If you like Cathedral you can't go wrong here. I'm happy I'm not the only one on UM who likes Cathedral. Totally underrated band. :headbang:

i couldn't agree more! i get so sick of hearing about how they're just an uninspired sabbath clone. what a load! obviously they're inluenced by them, duh! along with every other band alive today...cool, i'll plan on picking up the latest one per your recommendation. hey, what else you into? i'm taking off now but will check back tonight. we probably got some other bands in common!

Drift:

CATHEDRAL!!
Nevermore
Hypocrisy
Children of Bodom
WASP
King Diamond
Anathema
Pantera
Slayer
Opeth
Seven Witches
Overkill
Manowar
Queensryche
Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim
Solitude Aeternus
and many others!

metalmaiden said:
Cathedral the band??? YUK!!!!!!! I just saw them on tour and I thought they were aweful. Maybe they were having a bad night or maybe my ears were. Who knows :)
:err:

COOL!HERES MINE:

nightrage
overkill
dimension zero
kalmah
arch enemy
bls
cathedral
carcass
corporation 187
armored saint