The Kalmah/Children Of Bodom Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakenson

Nature's Child
Aug 2, 2003
Michigan, USA
Visit site
I have read many reviews that either constantly compare Kalmah to Children Of Bodom or call them complete rips of Bodom. What is up with this?

First off, I think Kalmah is a much more mature band than Children Of Bodom. Second, the Kokko brothers have been at it longer than Bodom has (making music). Third, Kalmah's lyrics are much, much more deeper (and better) than Bodom's (whose lyrics are quite childish in my opinion). The last thing is the music. The music is Kalmah is powerful, majestic, epic, intense, beautiful .... need I say more?

Does anyone agree with me on these points? Do not get me wrong, I love Bodom and think they are an excellant band, I just think Kalmah are more excellant :)

Oakenson said:
I have read many reviews that either constantly compare Kalmah to Children Of Bodom or call them complete rips of Bodom. What is up with this?

First off, I think Kalmah is a much more mature band than Children Of Bodom. Second, the Kokko brothers have been at it longer than Bodom has (making music). Third, Kalmah's lyrics are much, much more deeper (and better) than Bodom's (whose lyrics are quite childish in my opinion). The last thing is the music. The music is Kalmah is powerful, majestic, epic, intense, beautiful .... need I say more?

Does anyone agree with me on these points? Do not get me wrong, I love Bodom and think they are an excellant band, I just think Kalmah are more excellant :)

Yeah that's right , i only hope kalmah's Fourth album is better
than children of bodom's fourth album... because that sucked.
(well i't wasn't what I expected)

\m/

I have faith that Kalmah will release many great albums to come :D I cannot help but to love Swampsong more and more each time I listen to it. Kalmah is amazing!

What I was saying is I always seeing comparisons with Bodom in favor, never Kalmah. I have read countless statements of Kalmah being a rip off of Bodom's style completely or being all about Bodom's style. I think all of these statements about Kalmah being Bodom rips are false. I do not think I am being a hypocrite since I never stated I do not like them being compared.

As far me not having the right to state my opinion, that is trash. I think Kalmah is better than Bodom, that is my opinion and I have my right to state it. I do not exactly know what you are trying to say by stating "whos to say which is better, surely not you." ?

Nonetheless, these are my opinions of the two bands and I stick by them. I figured Bodom fans would take them personal and get rather upset (which is understandable), although I do not intend them to be that way. But of course, I cannot control how other people react to anything, therefore I am not going to worry about it.

I listen to Bodom quite often, and I have also been listening to Bodom a couple more years than I have Kalmah, but that still does not mean I cannot state my opinion of the two bands.

Well said Oak.

I also like both bands, but CoB's songs tend to be more fun / less serious than Kalmah's songs.

HCDR was a great album though, my personal favourite CoB. (but it doesn't touch Swampsong :lol: )

well it's always been hard for me to choose - my two idol musicians Jaska Raatikainen and Antti Kokko - one plays in CoB and the other in Kalmah.

but I've said this before: my opinion is that CoB and Kalmah are DIFFERENT bands, their music is different, their ways of playing, lyrics, everything is not at all similar. I think that CoB's albums are getting worse. my favourite albums were something wild and hatebreeder, and my least fav was hate crew deathroll.. CoB's lyrics absolutely suck, no offense, but I am a drummer so Jaska Raatikainen is v. important to me.

conclusion: kalmah is NOT a rip-off. they are a beautiful band.
... not to mention an awesome guitarist. :D

I like your comment TheHeartCollector on Swampsong and Hate Crew Deathroll :lol:

Also, good statements by both of guys reinforcing what I was originall trying to "enforce" :p Bodom is an awesome band, but as stated by TheHeartCollector, they are less serious than Kalmah is.

And as Morning Star also said, they are different bands! But of course, it seems album reviews only listen to an album once and review it (some of them anyway, at least this is what it seems like what they do).

And about the awesome guitarist ...awesome guitarists! :D

:headbang: Kokko Bros. :headbang:

I think the only comparison you can make between the two bands is to say that they both play Finnish-style metal.

Much like, say, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. They both have the Gothenburg sound, however, there music is still very much different.

Other than that, I don't see how anyone can say one is a copy of the other.

And for the record, I think Kalmah is better than Children of Bodom. And any other band for that matter.

Morning Star said:
lol, pardon me, guitarists

but actually, i meant guitarist, antti kokko - apart from jaska - was my childhood hero (he played in etos, and i knew them before kalmah)..
but *nods in apologies* you are right, guitarists :worship:

No need for apologies Morning Star :) Especially if you like one more than the other! Honestly, my favorite member of the group is Pasi, so my apoligies too :loco: :D

lol no need for apologies :loco: - pasi's cool, great keyboards! if I knew kalmah before ETOS then maybe my favourite member will be someone else.. but hail antti! he's rlly inspired me lots :D
I think this whole band is really talented.. one thing, it beats children of bodom's lyrics..
I really like each member of Kalmah and i think they're all really great and skillful but as long as I remain playin the drums and Jaska remains in CoB it remains my favourite :erk:
Course.. Kalmah still rules and is still one of the top of my list :D

p.s. argh I hate comparison topics.

It is wonderful when you are inspired by certain musicians. I am a guitar player, and lately, Petri L. (vocals, guitar) from Norther is very inspirational to me. For one, he has the same guitar that I do! :D The Jackson DR3 model which I have! The only difference is the color, but otherwise, it is the same thing and Petri is a killer player!

Nonetheless, inspiration is killer no matter who it is! :headbang:

i don't know why Antti has inspired me so much, i don't even play the guitar! :p
but yeah, it's great when you have someone to inspire you, it's like having someone make you work hard :D Jaska Raatikainen definitely for me, I was pretty happy when he swapped to Pearl drums because I use Pearl too, lol..
Petri L, he's a great player! I'm not into Norther as much as Kalmah or CoB, but what the heck! :loco:

Okay, for all you people saying Kalmah is better than bodom, im going to post this kind of thread on the bodom board and see what they have to say about it.

Sorry. I love Kalmah, but i think compared to bodom, they are nothing. anyone compared to bodom is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.