The Kalmah/Children Of Bodom Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
HateCrewDeathroll said:
Okay, for all you people saying Kalmah is better than bodom, im going to post this kind of thread on the bodom board and see what they have to say about it.
sure, you do that. obviously the cob forum would say cob is better and think the kalmah fans are crazy, but it's just the same likewise.

I don't even get what's the point of comparing, both bands are awesome and both bands rule!

@Oakenson: I've been playing the drums for around eight years :D

Argh, I cannot believe Alexi switched from Jackson to ESP! :mad:

I thought Kalmah used Jackson from live pictures, but I was not sure. Thank you for clearing that up Kalmah :)

Also, Morning Star, that is awesome that you have been playing for eight years! :headbang: Also, I do not agree that the bands should not be compared, that was my orignial point of the thread :D

Morning Star said:
sure, you do that. obviously the cob forum would say cob is better and think the kalmah fans are crazy, but it's just the same likewise.

So do the clever thing and post it on a neutral board like Dark Tranquillity or something.

what's the point? like I said on the CoB forum:
everyone has different opinions so live with it
it's not that hard to understand, is it? :p

Oakenson said:
Also, I do not agree that the bands should not be compared, that was my orignial point of the thread :D
ah yes. :loco: Comparisons sucks... people should just enjoy music for what it is and respect each band for what they produce... you're right, Oakenson, too many critics compare these two bands (and many fans take Kalmah as the underdog).

so everyone, please read what this thread is really about - it's not which two bands is better but it's why people always compare it when they're totally different!
this better get clear before CoB fans murder the Kalmah ones...

I never said I was against comparing bands. I do not like the fact Kalmah are always called Bodom rip's when they are not. They are always compared to Bodom and always downed in comparison to Bodom. Well, not always, but majority of the time anyway.

Critics are ignorant.

Let them compare... let them shit on whatever band they dont like..
You and i both know which bands we like better... why bother listening to THEM? (crtics not the band)

in an interview wit antti

D: By design alone, Swampsong should finally rid your band of the Children of Bodom comparisons. Over the years how have you dealt with such comparisons with your band and COB, considering your name and theirs seems to be mentioned in basically every interview and review that I have read.

A.K.: I think that it is unavoidable but on the other hand unnecessary as well. We have been doing the same music since the beginning of 90`s, so, this is the music we do and we don't pay attention to those comparisons. There is a good side as well. I think Bodom is a bunch of great musicians and it is an honor to be compared to such great players. I think Bodom is more to power/classical metal and our music stands on speed/trash metal.

Here is what I posted on the thread in the Bodom forum:

"Yes, it seems no one is reading what I was trying to say. It was a thread stating the fact that why do so many people consider Kalmah Bodom rip-off's, when in fact, they are far from it? No one is reading things right :erk:

And, as far as I am concerned, everyone has compared bands at some point or another in their life. I am not against comparisons, but I am sick of hearing that Kalmah, Norther, etc are Bodom rip-off's when they are not! This is a very frustrating topic.

Also, you have people stating comparing bands is ignorant ... ? C'mon, this is rediculous. So someone asks me "I like Stratovarius, who else do they sound like so I find some new bands." and I say "Ahh, well, you might enjoy Sonata Arctica, HammerFall, Nightwish among others..." I am being ignorant since I am comparing bands ... :rolleyes: "

I posted it in the thread "Who is better, Bodom or Kalmah? And, why?"

NeedledWarheart said:
A.K.: I think that it is unavoidable but on the other hand unnecessary as well. We have been doing the same music since the beginning of 90`s, so, this is the music we do and we don't pay attention to those comparisons. There is a good side as well. I think Bodom is a bunch of great musicians and it is an honor to be compared to such great players. I think Bodom is more to power/classical metal and our music stands on speed/trash metal.
yeah but he also says something about hoping the fans will find out that they are two different bands somewhere.. unless I read wrong.

@Oakenson: you are so right.. Kalmah is not the only underdog, but Norther as well. people should just appreciate Kalmah and Norther's works instead of comparing to Bodom and saying they're rip-offs!

Yes.. it is a frustrating topic :p but at least it's getting some discussion going :lol:

Morning Star said:
Yes.. it is a frustrating topic :p but at least it's getting some discussion going :lol:

:lol:

It seems most Bodom fans do not appreciate the work of any of these underdog acts! :erk: Oh well, the Bodom fan-base is a lot bigger than the fan-base of either Kalmah or Norther, so you can only expect that.

I have always been one to stick up for the underdogs it seems like, since the underdogs are usually the ones that should be on top. I look at a band like Norther, that is just amazing, and look at how much credit they get ... not enough! Yet, I look at a wonderful band like Bodom, and they are certainly getting their credit where it is due. Why can't this be so for Kalmah or Norther? I wish I could answer all of life's questions! :p

Oakenson said:
It seems most Bodom fans do not appreciate the work of any of these underdog acts! :erk: Oh well, the Bodom fan-base is a lot bigger than the fan-base of either Kalmah or Norther, so you can only expect that.
yeah, we'll just have to accept that. I'm a pretty big Bodom fan myself. :heh:
I've also usually stuck up for underdogs. Bodom deserves the credit they have received - they've done well and they were rewarded well. I just wish this was the same for every band that does well. :err:
Hail, Kalmah!

Morning Star said:
I'm a pretty big Bodom fan myself. :heh:

Me too! :D

Morning Star said:
I've also usually stuck up for underdogs. Bodom deserves the credit they have received - they've done well and they were rewarded well. I just wish this was the same for every band that does well. :err:

Yes, I definitly agree. I mean, you have bands like Kalmah, Norther, Human Fortress, Dragonland, Thy Majestie, Elvenking, etc... that are just as good (if not better) than the well-known acts, yet they do not even recieve half of the credit. It is sad really, but at least the people that do listen to them really do appreciate them for what they are! That is a mighty thought for any act with a smaller fan-base.

Morning Star said:
Hail, Kalmah!

:headbang: :headbang:

i dont think there similar at all. just because theres 5 people in the band doesnt mean there going to sound or be the same. is Korn the same as metallica?? ( well mayb now but not back when they were better )
Kalmah's sound is stronger and faster than Cob. the vox are also different and even ( i think ) one of the Kokko bro's said that they were not alike. and i agree with that 100%

but you can believe what you want to

i have to say i like kalmah like 10 times more than CoB but musically CoB are fucking geniouses however you spell that. they are the bethoven and motzart of metal.

The whole "who's dick is the biggest"-thing is fucking stupid. Kalmah and Children of Bodom plays completely different styles of music, as Antti Kokko pointed out to us somewhere earlier in this thread.

Considering that CoB is running a punkish style, while Kalmah has a more speed oriented style, comparsion is (in my eyes/ears) out of the question.

Correct me if i'm wrong...

I actually think that with Hate Crew Deathroll, CoB moved closer to Kalmah's style. Its more aggressive, and they do more with the riffs rhythmically instead of just straight-forward power. Lots of key changes too, which is Kalmah's forte.

The thing i dont understand is why everyone with an even slightly similar sound has to be a rip off of someone else, look at thrash, you had slayer, exodus, testament, metallica, megadeth, anthrax, all of them were thrash, all had different flavors constructed of similar elements, so it is with CoB, Kalmah, Skyfire, Norther, etc. No one is rippping it off, each is just taking it in a different direction. CoB is more thrashy, Kalmah more Deathy, Skyfire has a lot of power metal influence, and Norther seems to like Melodeath, you can hear the difference, if you just try

Status
Not open for further replies.