Kamelot Appreciation Thread

From an objective standpoint, he's actually pretty terrible at growling. So much so that he processes his vocals because he doesn't have as much voice as he used to, and he was never very good at it to begin with.

You say "from an objective standpoint," but the only standpoint you're speaking from is your own. Other people might agree with you, but a lot of people wouldn't. Either way, I don't really care what we think of Shagrath's vocals. March of Mephisto is still a killer song.

Vocal ability isn't really subjective. It's a fact that he's actually a really weak growler compared to just about every other vocalist with the same style as him.

Yeah, okay buddy. Next you're going to tell me that vocal range is also based on opinions since vocal power is just as measurable as range.

Kamelot "unmetal/folkier" songs:
The Sailorman's Hymn
Glory
Don't You Cry
Anthem
Abandoned
Songs by other power metal bands:
Stratovarius- Forever
Kiuas- After the Storm
Nightwish- The Islander
Blind Guardian- The Bard's Song (Into the Forest)

Also, Xorv, Wander is one of my favorite songs by them. So epic and emotional. Seditious, you might try Wander just to check it out.

cheers mate, will check them all out.

Yeah, okay buddy. Next you're going to tell me that vocal range is also based on opinions since vocal power is just as measurable as range.

range is very different to the kind of growls you like best, unless you're saying other DM vocalists can do a wider range of different growls...

I'd recommend The Fourth Legacy, Karma, and Epica. Of the five songs I posted, the first is from Karma, the second is from Epica, and the last three are from The Fourth Legacy.

They're all awesome except for The Fourth Legacy, which is fucking incredible. :cool:

But Zeph, you're not big on power metal in general, so it's kind of tough to get an opinion from you.

The Fourth Legacy is my favourite album.

Good topic Einherjar! :)

Their early releases arn't the greatest but the recent stuff is, The Black Halo for example. One of the better progressive power bands out there.

For people who like The Black Halo, at least check out Epica. Both albums are part of the same conceptual story (Khan's version of Goethe's Faust drama). Epica precedes The Black Halo, so you're only getting half of the story. :cool: Of course, if you don't like the music it kind of ruins it, I suppose. But if you enjoy The Black Halo, you should find Epica enjoyable. It has some incredible songs on it.

range is very different to the kind of growls you like best, unless you're saying other DM vocalists can do a wider range of different growls...

I'm talking about vocal power. You know, the amount of power someone is able to put behind their vocals when they do them, whether it's singing or extreme vocals. Since it has a tangible result because you can tell how powerful, forceful or aggressive someone's vocals are by how they sound and how much they can sustain that type of singing or growling or screaming or whatever, it's not really something open to opinions.

I'm talking about vocal power. You know, the amount of power someone is able to put behind their vocals when they do them, whether it's singing or extreme vocals. Since it has a tangible result because you can tell how powerful, forceful or aggressive someone's vocals are by how they sound and how much they can sustain that type of singing or growling or screaming or whatever, it's not really something open to opinions.

and what if someone prefers growls that don't sound as powerful?

In Flames, for example, long before their decline had pathetic growls by brutal death metal standards...but that isn't because he was aiming for that and having too little power and falling short.

what about Hypocrisy, over the course of their albums they've had a very different vocal style, if you only heard one of the albums with more clean or overlapped vocals you might think Peter didn't have the power for 'good' growls, but then you hear a couple of their other albums and realize it was a stylistic choice.

The difference being that Shagrath physically can't do them anymore, and isn't trying to sound wimpy. It's really easy to identify the sound of a strained voice versus the sound of a restrained voice.

You guys were right, Wander is definitely one of their best songs. very catchy.

"The Islander" is the best I've heard from Nightwish. female vocalist sounds great on this.

"The Bard's Song" is cool, heard a great live version too.