Katatonia - Brave Cover

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
I've been wanting to cover this song for ages, and now it has all finally came together. I feel this is the best cover/internet collaboration I have been a part of. My new drum sound, Obsidians great guitar recording, and Scavneck destroying the vocals all came together to make this something I am proud of.

BMD fans, let us know what you think!

Vocals/Mixing: Scavneck
Guitars: Lord Obsidian
Bass: Pat115
Drums: griev0r

Final Mix, guitars updated, bass guitar added, new vocals, new mix

!Updated! MP3
Brave_Final.mp3

I was originally going to be doing that...sorry I've taken so long, you guys have practically finished and I've not recorded anything for you....been caught up in celebrating my 18th birthday and going down with a cold at the same time. However, you WILL have a bass track by tomorrow evening, I guarantee.

Is the version Scavneck posted the "final" version? If so thats the one I'll use.

Yeah but it's missing bass (obviously) and EmeticGore's back vocals.
I hope you really do this, and do it well, will make the sound a lot fuller.

Happy 18th by the way :)

Our version sounds like the original almost, BMD before it was remastered was pretty thin and you could barely make out the bass. Remaster with heavier bass sounds much much better so we can always add it in, it will only make it sound better. But even as is without bass I still think it sounds pretty damn good, Scav did a great job with mix.

I could maybe cover bass, I'm not making any promises though... time is slim these days.

I really hate being a bitch, but I don't like the drum sound... at all :s You should check out Addictive Drums...
There is room for improvement in all aspects. Some chords/notes aren't right and timing is off in some places. Vocals are pretty cool but just a liiiitle gain would give them more punch (gain =/= volume), and some reverb and delay to blend it in the music.
Guitar tone could be worked on, and needs to be more tight. I tended to be happy about a recording too quickly in the past and I never wish to hear that stuff ever again... You'll be bothered more and more if you keep listening to it, so keep playing until you think it sounds 100% correctly.
There's also some serious clipping here and there (especially after the tapping part)

Again, I'm not trying to be an asshole, just trying to help actually!

Years ago, I made a god awful Brave cover :p

I really hate being a bitch, but I don't like the drum sound... at all :s You should check out Addictive Drums...
There is room for improvement in all aspects. Some chords/notes aren't right and timing is off in some places. Vocals are pretty cool but just a liiiitle gain would give them more punch (gain =/= volume), and some reverb and delay to blend it in the music.
Guitar tone could be worked on, and needs to be more tight. I tended to be happy about a recording too quickly in the past and I never wish to hear that stuff ever again... You'll be bothered more and more if you keep listening to it, so keep playing until you think it sounds 100% correctly.
There's also some serious clipping here and there (especially after the tapping part)

Again, I'm not trying to be an asshole, just trying to help actually!

Years ago, I made a god awful Brave cover :p

You are right about everything except the vocals, the thing is the drums all come in one track, the guitars too, and putting more delay on the vocals.. I think not, the delay is the main effect on the voice, eventually reverb will help out and some more volume yeah, but I found a better way to work with the dynamics: instead of using a compressor the limiter goes better with my voice.

We were aware of the timing aspect, we got a better guitar work from Obsidian, but he sent it in the same track as the drums, so I can't do anything with it. Waiting for the guitars to come separate.

I think it will come out a lot better this time IF THE GUITARS COME IN A SEPARATE TRACK haha.

I was originally going to be doing that...sorry I've taken so long, you guys have practically finished and I've not recorded anything for you....been caught up in celebrating my 18th birthday and going down with a cold at the same time. However, you WILL have a bass track by tomorrow evening, I guarantee.

Is the version Scavneck posted the "final" version? If so thats the one I'll use.

So where is it?

And Ozzloaf stop promising bass recordings, next time do one and then talk about it, damn.

Cerulean I understand your trying to give constructive criticism but it sounds like your making it out that the cover is a piece of shit lol. It's not perfect and I never said it was, we are going to update guitars and hopefully get bass soon. Keep in mind that this was purely for fun though.

I'm sorry you don't like my drum sound but I do. What exactly is wrong? I have my Yamaha kit set up to trigger professionaly recorded drums through midi within my recording program so there is no loss of quality, even still the samples I'm using were recorded primarily for metal (Ezdrummer's Drums From Hell).

Ok, done....after MUCH fiddling with mp3s that wouldn't sync properly...make what you will of it, but I gave it a try at least.

Brave Cover (full song)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BUJ3IIPW

I think the bass sounds too loud so someone will probably want to make it quieter, so:

Bass by itself as a standalone file for fiddling with if/when you guys update the rest:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2KZ0EFBY

Nightmare I don't think we can use that, the recording is extremely rough. I can tell you can play the song, but how are you recording? Sounds like you put a mic in a cave and stood 50 feet away and started playing bass...

Bass is very easy to record, all you need to do is get a adapter for your guitar jack to make it mic jack size and plug right in and record. That's all it is to it really.

I just did this a few minutes ago for fun... I used a BTB676, Boss me-20B and a sansamp rpm straight into my audigy zs 4 soundcard :headbang:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/10/2473123/Brave Bass only.mp3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/6/10/2473123/Brave with Bass.mp3

Sweet, just please upload it somewhere we can download it from, this one is streaming for me.

The bass ate up the double pedals, so I need to try and mix it somehow(Griever learn how to record your drums separate! :D )