Katatonia cover songs

That's really all I can think of too.

I don't think they released any other covers on any of their albums...

thats all, to my knowledge.

lets look at them seperatly:

DODS: hmm, for those who dont know why Tomb Of Insomnia lyrics arent in the booklet its not because its a cover, but as most/some of the lyrics were done in the studio whilst recording, they werent put down as Jonas i believe wasnt intirely happy with them, being done on the spot and all.

BMD: none
DO: none
TD: nightmares by the sea - jeff buckley. i love this song but its a wierd choice as this was an unfinished Jeff Buckley song, thats why there are 2 versions on the Jeff album, if you've heard them you'll notice that it seems patchy and incomplete, now i think of it im glad, no happy that Katatonia in a way 'finished'/'completed' this song in a way, especially the way they go back into the chorus after ''stay with me under these waves tonight...'' the Jeff version just doesnt feel right, i think it was pieced together or something as it lacks some sort of feeling, i dunno.

LFDGD: none
new album: i dont see why the need to have a cover song...i mean Katatonias lyrics and songs are better than anything anyway.

still, transparent, i must say i enjoy hearing bands do covers... i think a cover every cd or 3 is just a neat little thing... so i wouldn't mind if katatonia decided to throw on something on the next cd, but i also wouldn't be heartbroken if they didnt... nice pointless post, i know :p

yeah it wasnt finished as he died, pretty blunt. if you go to his site you can see they don't even have all the lyrics for the album etc. still, the first 7 songs are brilliant anyway, especially Yard Of Blonde girls.

i must say i enjoy hearing bands do covers... i think a cover every cd or 3 is just a neat little thing...

yeah, i agree, but i think they've got it right having the latest one on a single, thats where they belong, i like to see alternative takes on songs (Behemoth covering David Bowie - Hello Space boy, for example. if you dont have this then download it or something, its great and hilarious at the same time)

at the end of the day id prefer to hear a katatonia song than a cover, BUT i love the nightmares by the sea cover a lot, so i dunno, just have them on singles, nightmares...fits perfectly on TD though, i can't believe Jonas didn't write it :D

well the case with dont tell a soul is that jonas only got a portion of the lyrics from -will oldham. you know where he says "...that i heard someone say 'when you have no one, no one can hurt you'"? well eventually, that someone jonas refers to is will oldham. he has a song like that.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

TD: nightmares by the sea - jeff buckley. i love this song but its a wierd choice as this was an unfinished Jeff Buckley song, thats why there are 2 versions on the Jeff album, if you've heard them you'll notice that it seems patchy and incomplete, now i think of it im glad, no happy that Katatonia in a way 'finished'/'completed' this song in a way, especially the way they go back into the chorus after ''stay with me under these waves tonight...'' the Jeff version just doesnt feel right, i think it was pieced together or something as it lacks some sort of feeling, i dunno.

anyway.

The song sounds good to me, Jeff Buckley is good.

Now that I think about it...I know a bunch of covers without having heard the originals. For example, "Oh how I enjoy the light". Sounds great...

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing covers of songs that once were popular. Wherever I go I hear shitty techno versions of songs from the 80s. There are at least 5 covers of "Rock Me Amadeus" :mad: "Enjoy the silence" by Depeche Mode is a really good song but Entwines version is total manure. And Tiamats version of "Sympathy with the devil" is sooo boring. Exceptions like In Flames version of "Everything counts" prove the rule. Just my opinion. :cool:

ddr100mark1975V.jpg

i must agree with you... although i think canibal corpse album graveyard clasicks is f**king briliant...
who can resist a smile when Chris Barnes sings hendrix...
:headbang: :D

Originally posted by the_joy_of_grief

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing covers of songs that once were popular

Yep, I agree, especially when band makes a cover purely for financial success. Best covers are those, which are chosen on the basis of personal likings. Also one-to-one copying is not advisable, and maybe that's why those CC-made covers kick so much ass! Also Peaceville's X is a very good example for great cover songs (MDB's "Roads" and "One Velvet Morning"... I love those songs...)

Originally posted by Hobo
i must agree with you... although i think canibal corpse album graveyard clasicks is f**king briliant...
who can resist a smile when Chris Barnes sings hendrix...
:headbang: :D

only to correct.... six feet under did the graveyard classics ;)

Originally posted by _Transparent_
DODS: hmm, for those who dont know why Tomb Of Insomnia lyrics arent in the booklet its not because its a cover, but as most/some of the lyrics were done in the studio whilst recording, they werent put down as Jonas i believe wasnt intirely happy with them, being done on the spot and all.
I thought it was an error in the booklet, cause some part of the lyrics of one song is printed on the wrong page in the booklet, wasn't it? Knew there was something, can't remember what exactly...

By the way, anyone know what "Drynhwyl" is?