Katatonia - not so catatonic anymore...

Sadguru

In my dream...
Jan 11, 2004
Canada, Québec
Catatonic as in: "is a motionless, apathetic state in which one is oblivious or does not react to external stimuli. Motor activity is nearly non-existent. Individuals in this state avoid bathing and grooming, make little or no eye contact with others, may be mute and rigid, and initiate no social behaviors."

I think that early Katatonia material fits the description very well, but now with the band rythmic changes, I don't know if the "Katatonia" name suits them anymore. Sure, we are hint into some gloomy and bleak passages from time to time but it's surely not as significant as their previous album bar VE.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new album is a fucking killer, I would go as far as saying it's my favorite Katatonia record but you know, I kinda miss their old sound...

What do you think?

Yeah, I don't think its very katatonic either. But it's also quite a natural progression. One can't expect them to write manically depressed music when they grow older, have children and basically become happier.

stefan86 said:
Yeah, I don't think its very katatonic either. But it's also quite a natural progression. One can't expect them to write manically depressed music when they grow older, have children and basically become happier.

Do you mean children and age has something to do with hapiness?

I think that saying the new one is your favourite then saying you wish they would play their old style of music is sorta odd. Should they change their name to like. . . Kata-dot?

The Poona of Peshwa said:
I think that saying the new one is your favourite then saying you wish they would play their old style of music is sorta odd.

I do miss the gloomy atmosphere of the previous albums, but as a whole, I think the new album is more consistant.

stefan86 said:
Well, obviously. One is hopefully more likely to write lyrics like "Gateways of Bereavement" when alone and deserted than when they're living a family life.

More likely, yes. I do think though that the greatest of art is grounded is extreme experiences.

Sadguru said:
Don't get me wrong, I think the new album is a fucking killer, I would go as far as saying it's my favorite Katatonia record but you know, I kinda miss their old sound...

What do you think?

sure, who doesnt? but i love their new sound as well, so its a much better alternative than them breaking up or writing crap isntead right? every era of katatonia is special to me for a reason or another...

Discouraged+One said:
you guy should know why this guys came up with their name, there was a post about it in here, im too lazy to explain but look fot it.

I've never heard this before and I really wanna know... anyone know the story behind this or be able to link me to that post?

stefan86 said:

Exactly... Besides, wouldn't it get boring if they had made same kinds of albums during this whole time? They ain't no freakin' Motörhead though Lemmy kicks ass :kickass:

Metamyr said:
I've never heard this before and I really wanna know... anyone know the story behind this or be able to link me to that post?

One of their friends died in a car crash and his name is some how linked to katatonia...(kata or something??)...they named themselves after him...it had nothing to do with a katatonic sound or emotion. Can't remember the particulars of it...

The dudes right...search the board and you will find it...

I think TGCD is just as Katatonic, but in a different way. While the imagery in earlier albums has been cold, bleak and sombre, it's always been more introspective. I think TGCD describes a future, post-apocalyptic world that's just as bleak.

I whish I was 16 again...I mean people change...bands change as well and we are all nostalgic about the past....

I understand you because just on last Saturday after their gig I went to "Rocks" for the afterparty and the dj suddenly played "Right in to the bliss"..and it was strange to hear that sound just after the gig...I was kind of missing that style, the "old " Katatonia....I felt really nostalgic...
We cannot say what is better however...they have improved in terms of production, arrangements, but...simplicity sometime is just the best formula...take Discoraged Ones.
It´s clear with Viva they took another direction, a more "toolish" sound, low guitars, heavier songs, more effects, etc. Maybe they have lost their melancholy and those repetitive, mesmerizing riffs and the lyrics are no more so personal and full of real sorrow as they used to be....but it always sounds Katatonia..I mean you recognize that it is Katatonia and hard to say what it was better. Now they are just more professional maybe.

I don't know. Discouraged Ones was awesome, LFDGD and TD was very different than that album. And then VE and TGCD were different as well. You can still hear that they're Katatonia with each era. I don't think its a very bad change at all, I think its for the better.

I don't miss their old sound too much. Their new sound is too good. It just sounds like a more improved version of their old sound.

ether said:
I whish I was 16 again...I mean people change...bands change as well and we are all nostalgic about the past....

I understand you because just on last Saturday after their gig I went to "Rocks" for the afterparty and the dj suddenly played "Right in to the bliss"..and it was strange to hear that sound just after the gig...I was kind of missing that style, the "old " Katatonia....I felt really nostalgic...
We cannot say what is better however...they have improved in terms of production, arrangements, but...simplicity sometime is just the best formula...take Discoraged Ones.
It´s clear with Viva they took another direction, a more "toolish" sound, low guitars, heavier songs, more effects, etc. Maybe they have lost their melancholy and those repetitive, mesmerizing riffs and the lyrics are no more so personal and full of real sorrow as they used to be....but it always sounds Katatonia..I mean you recognize that it is Katatonia and hard to say what it was better. Now they are just more professional maybe.

That's the thing though, I think some of their new stuff definitely DON'T sound like Katatonia (their albums prior to VE), at all. (Ghost of the Sun and Complicity for exemple).

well as for me, i like change... cuz change is good, most of the times anyway.
and i think what has me hooked to Katatonia's music is the fact that, even though they have change so much since JEM, they still give me that weird hopelessness feeling.