Katatonia NYC 10/22

Deliverance6 said:
I think if it wasnt for moonspell this tour probably wouldnt have happened...........although I dont really like them so much I will certainly stay to support them....because they are supporting Katatonia.

You're exactly right. In fact, Moonspell handpicked Katatonia to be on this tour with them. It wasn't a record label choice, but came down from the band itself. Like em or not, they got Katatonia here :)

LifeDepraved said:
$25 shirt?!?! Guhhhhh...that blowz. Maybe if the shirt is pure magic I'll get it, but on my budget...not sure.

And I'll totally stay for Moonspell. Their new album is fantastic...nice mix of the vocals and totally kicks the butt of their more Type O rip off days :p

oh poo.....its nearly the same price as the site.......but thats why I have been saving since I heard rumor of the tour!!!!!:kickass:

shaq said:
You're exactly right. In fact, Moonspell handpicked Katatonia to be on this tour with them. It wasn't a record label choice, but came down from the band itself. Like em or not, they got Katatonia here :)

It's in bad taste and pretty much disrespectful to leave before they play, at least imo. I look forward to all the bands, but of course Katatonia the most since I've never seen them live before. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't get the Moonspell set list. I've seen them a few times before but I am currently unfamiliar with their material. I say currently because that will change soon, they are a VERY good band.

moonspell's new album rules!

damn those prices....ehhh i guess i'll wait and see the designs and then buy em. $40 for a hoodie is pretty fair i guess. but $25 for a shirt is too high.

The crowd was fucking rockin last night durring Katatonia....

CrowdKatatonia.jpg

It was one of the best concerts of the year so far. The band is excellent live and they're awesome people too, we had a great time hanging out with them.

Can't wait to catch them again in the last two days of the tour. It'll be wicked!!!

shaq said:

From what I understand, because we negoatiated to be a part of this package, this tour was originally Amorphis, Katatonia and Daylight Dies. Moonspell was asked to headline after Amorphis backed out.

Novembers Paul said:
From what I understand, because we negoatiated to be a part of this package, this tour was originally Amorphis, Katatonia and Daylight Dies. Moonspell was asked to headline after Amorphis backed out.

I'm just going by what Fernando told me in my interview. Past that, I don't know anything about the inner workings of the tour :)

i think moonspell is good enough...though i think its reall funny that the ones creating less excitement are the headers..at least with all the ppl i know that are going to the show...

Katatonica said:
i think moonspell is good enough...though i think its reall funny that the ones creating less excitement are the headers..at least with all the ppl i know that are going to the show...

I've seen this happen when Children Of Bodom opened for Dimmu Borgir and Iced Earth here...almost a fourth or more of the crowd left after Bodom was done. I expected it though.

Deliverance6 said:
Anthony3 said:
The crowd was fucking rockin last night durring Katatonia....

Fuckin right they were.....haha...a bit different than in june 04' of course theyre not paired up with a bunch of turds either.....

You're so right. Seeing Katatonia with a crowd that actually cares to see them is amazing. Cleveland was basically filled with power metal fans that didn't want to see Katatonia. The Montreal show two days later was MUCH better.

There was definitely something very special about the NYC show. The energy of that place was amazing. I'm very glad I was able to experience it. November 18th can't come quick enough!

shaq said:
I'm just going by what Fernando told me in my interview. Past that, I don't know anything about the inner workings of the tour :)

Hell, I know Fernando is a huge fan of Katatonia, so I'm sure he had a strong voice in getting them here.

For the record, I think this is an amazing package, and I think anyone who goes to see Katatonia, should stick around, and give Moonspell and chance if you don't know their music. They are veterans in the metal scene, awesome people, and deserve a lot of credit for their accomplishments. This is a bad ass touring package, and the more people stay, and support the entire package, the better chance it is, something better can happen in the future. If the promoters see shit loads of people walking out the door before the shows over, they'll think twice about paying the guarantee next time a tour like this comes through town.

Keep it in mind. Stick around, have a few drinks, hang out, and have fun at the show. Support metal, not just one band.

Reactions: °scarlet°
unregistered said:
i dunno. i guess they just never toured with any bands i like or cared to see live.
But you said you had never heard of them, which means you were unaware of the band's very existence, not only hadn't heard their music.

I find it hard to fathom that someone interested in a band like Katatonia has never even heard of the band Moonspell, they've been a very well-known band for some 10 years now.

Fernando made an entry on Moonspell's forum yesterday concerning his opinions, so please for further information go here.

I'll just quote one of the main paragraphs:
Fernando said:
I love Katatonia! For me they would headline over Metallica as they are a special brand, a one of a kind, a feast for my senses, a gift of darkness. As persons they are respectful, considerate, educated and there is no competition behind us, rather much more a killer and bullet proof friendship, tested already on this tour, believe me. We do not behave as headliners or nothing of the sort. And our fans respect Katatonia as much as they do respect Moonspell, too bad some people can’t be like that on the other way around. I love our fans for that. Much more, of course, but for that more than everything right now! Lessons have to be learned from music. You can not listen to it and get away with nothing. Most of people who say bad stuff about us while praising Katatonia do not know what they are getting into: nothing, nothing, nothing. I understand people’s preferences (I awe in wait sometimes through support bands or headliners just to see my faved ones) what I do not understand is this portable stupidity which plagues the net and the Metal scene. Anyway I am the one who gets to discuss lyrics deeply with Jonas or the old times with Anders. And that is as priceless as their music which I hold to my heart regardless of the people who like them and hate us.

And now I'll write my own opinion. I love Moonspell, as much but probably even more than I love Katatonia.

If your problem is only their songs well, whether you like the band or not (although I think that judging a band only because you've heard a song you didn't like - especially since in my opinion if you like Katatonia there are at least a few Moonspell songs you'll like - is the wrong attitude), their new album is great. That's not only because I like it, even though I do (a lot), but it has been rated with high scores such as nine or ten out of ten in most magazines, and that must mean something. And it is by all means NOT a soft album, it's heavier than The Great Cold Distance for instance.
The band doesn't play songs from those considered their worst (and coincidentally or not, softer) albums anymore, which are Sin Pecado and The Butterfly Effect, so I don't see why you would dislike the show as much as you think you'd. Their current tracklist is also awesome, as they are playing some of their most amazing songs in my opinion: Blood Tells, Alma Mater, In and Above Man, Vampiria, Full Moon Madness... hell, those are just classics!
I just know I'd never leave before the headlining band... first of all because I paid the ticket; and in second place because it's mean - I'm sure you wouldn't like it either. If you've never heard of the band, well, that's the perfect oportunity. Who cares if they're known or not? Isn't the quality of the music that counts before the fame?

And yes, they do perform some killer shows. I've been to a couple of them and I know what I'm talking about. :)

Well, I hope you don't bash me, I'm just giving my two cents on the subject.
I support both Moonspell and Katatonia, they are some of my favourite bands and I think they fit brilliantly together. :)