Katatonia on MTV?

Deliverance6

Jun 4, 2003
Ann Arbor Michigan U.S.
Visit site
yes it is true.....they were on headbangers ball in the United States........deliberation was played.........I figured there may be some controversy about this because some people might be narrowminded enough to think this is a bad thing......so I open the floor to any comments now....

as for me I think its awesome.....they deserve huge recognition.......and if MTV was to actually play them on a semi regular basis I think that would be great for them.......I have no need to keep Katatonia to myself......the world should know about them......I dont think they will become trendy......because they are not trendy.......they are Katatonia....

This is hugely positive.

Yeah, it's nice as long as they avoid roadrunner. I don't understand why they didn't break big with VE, considering it's the catchiest album of all time. Hopefully they'll make vids for an album as strong as VE the next time around as well.

I don't know what's the format of MTV2 in the US...I have the european version of MTV2 plays mostly alternative rock and emo except tuesday nights when they put on the headbangers ball...
I guess any publicity is good publicity aspecially on the headbangers ball which is not associated with emo...so that's good.
exposure is good for any band

I didn't know they were played on the Ball.
I gave up on that show MANY years ago.
When it came back with the Hatebreed guy, I gave it a couple watches, and realized like just when it went off the air the first time, they abandon the underground in favor of whatever is trendy. (Currently, metalcore from what I can tell).

Anyhow, cool they gave them some air time.
The Deliberation video is whacked out enough to catch the attention of some
(Kind of like when TOOL's "SOBER" video first came out).
In all honesty, I think the "My Twin" video (based on both the video and song) would be more commercially accessible than "Deliberation".

Regardless, cool to see Katatonia getting much deserved attention.

Kudos to Peaceville too for putting promo dollars towards them as well.

Nocturnus, Morgoth, Pestilence, Death have all got Airplay at MTV's Headbangers Ball back in the days.
I think the "sell-out" discussion should begin when they got played at TRL :Smug:

I agree with Reece here. I think its great for katatonia to get that much deserved attention.
I dont see why everything coming on mtv or tv in general should be immediatly branded as "sell-out" or "trendy" .. If they stay true to themselves and just do what they always did or do whatever they feel inside is their path it doesnt matter to me at all.
Genuine music in a commercial program sounds like a paradox but I just try to not be that shortsighted and see the music for what it is..

Let me clarify my previous post.
I am in no way saying that Katatonia being played on MTV is ANY indication of selling out.

I am speaking specifically on the fact that Headbangers Ball on MTV always sways the direction of the latest trend.

When the first run of the Ball went off the air, they were actually playing Soundgarden, STP, Nirvana, and Alice in Chains on a regular basis. Nothing specifically against those bands, but the Ball was initially reserved for more underground bands that normally do not receive airplay.

Back in the late 80's, the Ball would play Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Overkill, Coroner, Kreator, Helloween, Testament, King Diamond, etc, etc. It was great. Then when grunge broke, they stopped playing that stuff.

It would be cool if they would mix in some old school with the new, though I guess that wouldn't bring in the advertising dollars........

My post wasnt directed at you actually, i just used those words because that is something lots of people say when these kind of things come up. Sooo no need to clarify. :)

yes it is true.....they were on headbangers ball in the United States........deliberation was played.........I figured there may be some controversy about this because some people might be narrowminded enough to think this is a bad thing......so I open the floor to any comments now....

as for me I think its awesome.....they deserve huge recognition.......and if MTV was to actually play them on a semi regular basis I think that would be great for them.......I have no need to keep Katatonia to myself......the world should know about them......I dont think they will become trendy......because they are not trendy.......they are Katatonia....

This is hugely positive.

i'm very happy to hear that! it's about fucking time the US learns who the fuck KATATONIA is :D
This means next time around more people will know who Katatonia is
and we can get them back here ASAP for a headlining tour! :kickass:

Good for them...Though My Twin would have been a better choice imo. But knowing how many Americans act to bands like this...once they see Mattias' hair or notice the lyrics someone is gonna scream EMO!!!! And then I'll be there with my fist in their face.

Recently I've watched quite many HBBs on MTV Finland and they haven't played either of Katatonia videos. But it's great that they played Deliberation on HBB in US.

At MTV Finland there's a program called Top 10 at 10. Viewers can send their Top 10 lists to MTV and best lists are played by MTV. So I got a great idea for that show. Katatonia top 10 at 10. Top 10 list would be:

10. Deliberation
9. My Twin
8. Deliberation
7. My Twin
2. Deliberation
1. My Twin

:headbang::lol:

Good for them...Though My Twin would have been a better choice imo. But knowing how many Americans act to bands like this...once they see Mattias' hair or notice the lyrics someone is gonna scream EMO!!!! And then I'll be there with my fist in their face.

In order for that not to happen passing bird needs a video

My Twin was turned down by MTV. It was bullshit about them not having a US deal. I think that with the internet it shouldnt matter anymore. Deliberation and the new Daylight Dies videos were picked up. Hopefully this wakes some Americans up and makes them realize that Katatonia is the best thing they ever heard.

hooray for the exposure thats great for them, they need it they are severely underrated....and this is coming from a guy whom just heard em for the first time last november :D.

But i dunno i kinda fear them becoming trendy/scene whatever you may call it. Not by their own right but all these dumb people whom attach themselves to whatever is out there at the moment,such as hardcore/emo/screamo that crap i hate it.

but again mad props and i hope they get hueg(i know wrong spelling) but without becoming the next scene kid band.

it's good:)
I remember when I was a few years younger there was a channel (the box) that broudcasted metal on every wednesday night.
That was very cool to get to know bands and stuff, so this is cool:p

Yeah, it's nice as long as they avoid roadrunner. I don't understand why they didn't break big with VE, considering it's the catchiest album of all time. Hopefully they'll make vids for an album as strong as VE the next time around as well.

catchiest album of all time huh? :lol: I dunno about that

there's some very catchy stuff on some of the tracks but some bands just do catchy cds the whole way through