Why aren't Katatonia big?

gone

zabijasz mnie
Nov 23, 2003
boat city, poland
Visit site
[yeah, yeah, I know this was discussed here already but that was a fifteen months ago and I couldn't participate ;) ]

Now, before the hardcore underground fans among you crucify me, let me explain that I don't mean 'big' in an 'MTV' sort of way. I'm not talking about concerts in huge stadia, substantial airplay in radio and tv, 14 year old girls hanging Blackheim's photos on their walls (no offence meant to any 14-year olds and perhaps Blackheim wouldn't actually object to this) or even documentaries like a certain band whose name we won't mention here (but it begins with an M and ends with etallica...oh wait). I'm talking about the kind of popularity that allows a band to live off playing music without having to take up other jobs to support themselves and their families. I read an interview with Jonas in which he said that playing in Katatonia doesn't get him enough money and he needs a day job to support himself, and I surmise the situation is similar with other Katatonia members. How fucked up is that? I'd understand if Katatonia played some sort of abrasive death metal or true kvlt black, but come on, VE is almost radio friendly. Omerta would be a top 40 song if it ever made it to the media, same for Evidence and Criminals and probably ten other songs. Once again, I want to stress that I don't want Katatonia going 'soft' or 'commercial', I'd just like them to earn enough money off their music so they can concentrate on being the best band in the world and not on having to work at the post office to pay their bills or something - I'm sure we all agree that they deserve that. The Crown folded not so long ago because of financial reasons, for fuck's sake. We wouldn't want the same thing happen to Katatonia, now would we?
The other thing is... recognition. Maybe its just me, but I'm sick of all those bands being hailed as the next best thing, when few people seem to know and revere Katatonia. Many of you may take pride that you listen to a band that is a part of the so called 'underground', but it frustrates me that Katatonia don't get the plaudits they surely deserve. And I'm not talking about mainstream recognition, I'm talking about the rock/metal community. Everyone seems to be going on about Opeth or Anathema or whatnot (again, no offence meant, they're both fine bands and I use them to illustrate a trend) but Katatonia are relatively unknown, at least that's the impression I get. I mean, how many people post on this forum? Not many comparing to some other boards. It's a sick sad world I tell you.

[Sorry for going on a rant and probably being muddy in the process, but I'm a mite drunk at the moment :oops: I wonder what I'll think about this post in the morning.]

Yeah. Katatonia have way to little exposure. Sure, I would object to their success if their music would be watered down, but right now their songs are accessible as well as musical and emotional.

i agree with you, and i had almost same thoughts about a year or two ago.

you see, it's all about the media.
and you have to kiss lots of asses to get their applauds. (quote les smith)
and i think the members of katatonia don't want to do that, neither have to - their music will find its way to people.
now, that's the place where we, the fans, pop in.
for example, i don't know one person whom i didn't play katatonia. and forced to like it :)

I agree with your drunken rant-Gone-
There have been circumstantial reasons why (I think) Katatonia didnt break more ground (in the U.S.at least) with Viva.#1 is that Peaceville wont put them on tour in the U.S. because of money issues. #2 is that the Viva promo has some language in it that wont permit radio play in the U.S. (and thanks to Janet Jacksons tit they have cracked down even more on radio language) so every radio station that listened to it heard the swearing in it and said "we cant do it". If the promo didnt have that one flaw things might be different today.
Did you know that for about 3000$ we could see Katatonia in the U.S. again? If only I was rich eh.

Katatonias contract with Paeceville will be over soon enough, and although I have enjoyed Everything that Peaceville has done with Katatonia I cant wait for them to be free of that label. I want them to be able to do what they want to do musically and to have a label that is behind them 100%.

To tell everyone the truth I dont care if they got on MTV and shit. Everyone should listen to Katatonia and I am not hung up on wanting to be a part of that crowd of people who want them to stay "underground". The bigger the better, as long as they stay true to themselves.

The DVD and their next release will let us know how the media truly feels about Katatonia. Shit, I know buisness people who dig it. No longer is Katatonia a band for long haired metal guys only, their appeal is greater than ever, and I hope it continues this way.

My opinion only, like it or not.

the good thing about them being unknown is that ticket prices aren’t that big then. I'm going to see them. less than 10 $ for a ticket...that’s pretty cheap, for some great music :)

It's nearly impossible to find the Katatonia back catalog in CD stores around here. The only CDs I've seen in stores are Brave Yester Days, Viva Emptiness, and Tonight's Decision. At the other stores I've gone to, they haven't had any Katatonia at all!

I've been meaning to pick them all up online but I haven't gotten around to it yet. But surely they would be much more popular if their material was easily findable.

Music that makes you think, and forces you to absorb slowly and with emotion, takes time to win a listener over.

Many music fans have no patience to let music take its time to unfold. Some fans want immediate immact, and I think Katatonia takes a little bit of effort from the listener to appreciate. Time well spent.

However, for the US I'm speaking, we are a fast food society. Sad to say, but it's the truth.

gone said:
I've never met you, but I think you're a sad twat already.

I'm sorry, I was just fucking around a bit. I don't know why I said that.

Why aren't they that big? Probably partly their label and the kind of financing they get... but some things just aren't meant to be. Their songs may be not be extreme or too hard to get your head around, but they still don't sound quite like the bands you hear on the radio or see on television.

Well at least they got to headline a festival gig over here (in the US) which some bands like My Dying Bride haven't done (yet.) I don't think you'll have to fear about katatonia breaking up for financial reasons. even though you might think that they are not that big, they are actually one of the more respected and well known veterans in the metal scene and if they ever leave peaceville I'm sure they will have labels waiting on their doorstep.

As for why they aren't bigger, it might be poor promotion, 'europe only' gigs, or it might just be the more serious level of their music. but like with any other band, how will people know if they like ot or not if they don't hear it? that's the biggest problem.

I agree with what most of you have stated.
Many people find katatonia great when they discover them, but the problem is that so many people don't even know that katatonia exist!

I find really a few articles on the metal magazines I usually read, even if everytime it's a positive review, but they don't get that much exposure...and the same in Cd stores, there aren't many of their Cds usually.

I only whish they were big enough to make a living out of music without having financial problems, but I don't want them to be big rock stars....or at least I want them to tour more often and release a new album quite regularly(without a gap of 5 years or similar).

IAmEternal said:
I'm sorry, I was just fucking around a bit. I don't know why I said that.

Umm yeah, sorry for calling you a twat. I woke up the following morning with a raging headache and was feeling particularly cranky, so I sort of just lashed out :ill:

Ive always somewhat noticed how regardless what direction Katatonia has taken in their music, and how long theyve been around...they really seem to get passed up by just about all the other quality swedish acts as far as success, income and just overall popularity/exposure. Im not sure if the label is to blame, or the touring restraints of the members themselves or what....

i suppose its possible that they dont desire for the band to get big. Maybe they are actually content with keeping it as a part time thing?

Regardless, it seems to be somewhat of a crime but in a selfish way, a nice thing that Katatonia has always seemed to stay on the backburner of the scene...and on the brighter side...always allowed them to do whatever they wanted with their music.

if anyone has some first hand information on this topic from any of the band members, it would be nice if youd share it. :)

They aren't big because they invest heavily in a level of emotion that few people are comfortable with. too much honesty. i'd personally like to see them mix the emotion with ideas or themes. for instance, people may hate the mood created by meshuggah's music, but many are attracted to the content;what they are doing, trying to do on a creative level etc. people can dismiss emotional music as being self-absorbed or pompous, but no-one can dismiss or ignore intelligence or originality: bands like the mars volta, tool, radiohead, aphex twin (not a band, I know), Isis etc. etc. invention, in other words, will always be met with at least moderate success, whereas pure emotionality won't.