Katatonia?

skyshock1

Scorched earth triumphant
May 14, 2001
Southeastern US.
www.myspace.com
I hear lots of mention of the band Katatonia on this board, and elsewhere. I'm kinda new to this scene.... what do they sound like?

I'm a big fan of prog rock ala Jethro Tull, Opeth, Tool, King Crimson, old Genesis, etc....

Would I like Katatonia? What tracks should I hear.

FWIW, Still Life and Blackwater Park are my favorite Opeth albums....

I always think of Katatonia as The Cure, in a way, but heavier. If you like Opeth, get "Brave Murder Day/For Funerals To Come". Mikael does the vocals for that album (which mostly contains distorted vocals), except for "Day", sang by Jonas Renkse. Other than that, I think "Discouraged Ones" is the best album. "Tonight's Decision" and their latest one "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" didn't do much for me.

I have Katatonia's Tonight's Decision album. It's an alright album, nothing spectacular though, except for perhaps the song "Strained", which is excellent. The rest of the album flows together nicely, without any stand out tracks. It makes for great background music.

Not one of my favourites, but worth a listen if you like more melancholy metal.

Katatonia went through a few phases. For more metal-oriented, epic stuff, check out Brave Murder Day. It's pretty good.

Since then, they've progressed into this very melancholy hard-rock sound a bit more along the lines of The Cure or Tool/A Perfect Circle (but better). Those albums would be Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down. IMO, those ones have gotten better each time around, with the most recent (LFDGD) being the best.

Hope that helps. Take it easy.

Heh.

I'm actually not even really that familiar with Tool, I'm just sort of repeating opinions I've read time and again elsewhere for the benefit of spreading that information.

And, yeah, I've heard the early ones are pretty bad. Be sure to check out BMD, there, Hearse. It's probably the album of theirs you'll like the best.

Originally posted by Hearse
My heart is bleading, when you compare Katatonia similar to Tool. :)

Seriously, I haven't heard much their newer porduction, but "Dance Of The December Souls" was Awful, I bought that cause I though there would be Åkerfeld with the project, but I bought the wrong record (many years ago). :)

That record was so awful that I couldn't listen it for long time. I forced myself to listen it about 5 times, but I almoust got insane!
The drum beat was like "valuva räkä" = (somthing like) "runny snot" it pissed me of, so I sold it like 1$ just to get rid of it. :D But that's me, someone else could find it intersting, I don't. But I have to check that Album where Åkerfeld is along. :)

Just to put out a little different vibe here, I want to say that Katatonia is my favorite band. It is a shame that they always are compared to Opeth, considering that (a) Katatonia's been around for much longer and (b) they don't sound similar (except some melodies on Orchid sound like Dance of December Souls).

Secondly, anyone looking for progressive and technical music should _BY ALL MEANS_ steer clear of Katatonia. This is not the goal or result of the music. It's minimalistic, intensely personal music. If you are one of those listeners with a short 'attention span', then you will HATE Katatonia. However if you are one to sit back and give it your full attention, let it sink in, they could easily become a band you worship.

For humors sake, just because of what you posted above (refering to Dance of December Souls) that was my FAVORITE album of all time for about 2-3 years. I admit, the musicianship and playing on the album is shitty. The drums often fuck up, as do the guitars. One could try and excuse this by explaining they were only 17-18 when this was recorded - but I won't. I actually don't MIND those fuck ups, at all. The music is entirely differnet from anything and is so deeply depressing, sad and somehow epic. Keep in mind this is no longer my favorite album, but it has nothing to do with the lack of musicianship.

The newer albums are perfectly played and have incredible production - and also have differnet styles than the earlier albums. The latest album "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" is easily compared in parts to TOOL (Yes Hearse, you should NOT be upset by this comparison, it is obvious as hell onthe new album... so you should check it out :) ) and A Perfect Circle, yet some songs are similar to "Disintigration"-era The Cure.

In conclusion I'll just say this: PLEASE, for fucks sake, do NOT buy Katatonia if you are searching out similar to Opeth. Do NOT buy Katatonia if you want a progressive or musical technical band. You WILL be disappointed. Buy Katatonia if you want a 'downer' album (sad doesn't cover it all) that will grow on you and infest you like cancer. I strongly recommend "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Discouraged Ones" to start off. I agree "Brave Murder Day" is an incredible album (my favorite of all time) but it's in its own little world.. so special, so unique, and so precious to me. But then again, so are those newer two albums I mentioned - just in a different kind of way. Good luck.

Originally posted by forlorn soul
(snip) ...the musicianship and playing on the album is shitty. The drums often fuck up, as do the guitars. One could try and excuse this by explaining they were only 17-18 when this was recorded...

When I read this part, it makes me think of the fuck ups on Morningrise or Orchid on the drums. Does no one else hear what I'm saying? I can't name off the top of my head which album or song, but does someone know what I'm thinking of? The ride isn't consistent. Anyone? Either way, it doesn't even phase me.

I have been humming "Sweet Nurse" for weeks it seems. I downloaded the album before it was out off Napster and those tracks are SO stuck in my head. I couldn't say why I liked the music so much, it was so far from BMD which is what I wanted when I searched out for more. But, like mentioned above, that album stands alone. I was so happy when I first heard BMD. Then when I heard the song Day off it, I was like, "What's this??" Then, before I knew it...I was hooked. It's those simple yet hard sounding riffs. They're captivating!

I love what I have of Katatonia. I might just stick with what I've got, but this new album...I like it. Quite a bit I might add. Never know what's to come! :)

I agree. Definately. 100% Katatonia rule. Their new album is so amazing. all their albums are amazing. great band. one of my favorites, right up their with priest and emperor

Just to put out a little different vibe here, I want to say that Katatonia is my favorite band. It is a shame that they always are compared to Opeth, considering that (a) Katatonia's been around for much longer and (b) they don't sound similar (except some melodies on Orchid sound like Dance of December Souls).

Secondly, anyone looking for progressive and technical music should _BY ALL MEANS_ steer clear of Katatonia. This is not the goal or result of the music. It's minimalistic, intensely personal music. If you are one of those listeners with a short 'attention span', then you will HATE Katatonia. However if you are one to sit back and give it your full attention, let it sink in, they could easily become a band you worship.

For humors sake, just because of what you posted above (refering to Dance of December Souls) that was my FAVORITE album of all time for about 2-3 years. I admit, the musicianship and playing on the album is shitty. The drums often fuck up, as do the guitars. One could try and excuse this by explaining they were only 17-18 when this was recorded - but I won't. I actually don't MIND those fuck ups, at all. The music is entirely differnet from anything and is so deeply depressing, sad and somehow epic. Keep in mind this is no longer my favorite album, but it has nothing to do with the lack of musicianship.

The newer albums are perfectly played and have incredible production - and also have differnet styles than the earlier albums. The latest album "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" is easily compared in parts to TOOL (Yes Hearse, you should NOT be upset by this comparison, it is obvious as hell onthe new album... so you should check it out :) ) and A Perfect Circle, yet some songs are similar to "Disintigration"-era The Cure.

In conclusion I'll just say this: PLEASE, for fucks sake, do NOT buy Katatonia if you are searching out similar to Opeth. Do NOT buy Katatonia if you want a progressive or musical technical band. You WILL be disappointed. Buy Katatonia if you want a 'downer' album (sad doesn't cover it all) that will grow on you and infest you like cancer. I strongly recommend "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Discouraged Ones" to start off. I agree "Brave Murder Day" is an incredible album (my favorite of all time) but it's in its own little world.. so special, so unique, and so precious to me. But then again, so are those newer two albums I mentioned - just in a different kind of way. Good luck.

Katatonia...

I was big into their first when I was in college. I couldn't stop listening to them and that is probably my favorite record of theirs. The Funerals ep is excellent too, probably better than Dance IMO. Then they supposedly broke up. At least that's what I thought, here in the US. I was so happy to hear them come back, and Brave Murder Day was next. It's a pretty good record, but definitely a different Katatonia than I had remembered. Mikael's vocals were just brutal on that and Sounds of Decay (he did sing on that right?), but things were very different.

I never got into anything after that sadly. I understand that they had to progress as all bands do, but IMO they sounded Nothing like the Katatonia of old. Certainly some aspects remained, but Discouraged Ones was a sad departure in my eyes. Don't know if anyone is looking for suggestions here, but if you know the progression from Tales from the Thousand Lakes to modern Amorphis, it's similar w/ Katatonia. I'd never know it was them if you put the new one on.

This isn't to smash the band for their newer efforts. It's fine, we're all used to our favorite bands undergoing Drastic changes (hopefully not Opeth!), but their old records are just outstanding. I wonder how they fare for a new listener today - but they're plain excellent in my book. The Funerals ep especially. The first track from Sounds of Decay is awesome too. I highly recommend their older material. If you like that, perhaps try out October Tide. I used to play Katatonia, October Tide, Opeth, Diabolical Masquerade and Dan Swano material on the radio (in my college days) all the time - always in bundles. Such good stuff.

-slateman.

I love Katatonias music, when i'm depressed they are the first thing I go for. It seems that I only like a few songs from each album though, I have no clue why this is. My friend is that way too, seems like some of the songs just don't have that catchy beat that others do. Some songs that I really like are "Stalemate", "I Break", "For My Demons", "Tonights Music", "Clean Today", "Sweet Nurse" many others but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

i agree that Katatonia are fucking great, its really close for me to say which is better out of them and Opeth but i have to say Katatonia. but i love em both and they are totaly different. :D