Katatonia's Top 5 Worst Songs...By Anders

''Discouraged ones'' isone of my all times fave records, as well as one of the best ever released by Katatonia. And ''Relention'' is a beautiful song. Actually, I cannot find any bad song at all on that record. I like it so much. What a pity I'm reading this thread only now after the gig, otherwise I would've screamt the title for sure :lol:

Ha, I love Relention as well. I also enjoy Dancing December and Fractured is not terrible. I think Untrue is nice for what it is too. But everyone is their biggest critic, as "they" say.

Huh. I can't really see why Relention is silly..

I always felt that the melody in Dancing December was taken from some classical romantic piece, or something..

Ok well, since he put Dancing December down, I now think Anders is a complete dumbshit who should gtfo. Just my $.02

Edit: Oh yea, and Relention? More songs from the '00s plz.

We somewhat agree. Not the worst songs in my opinion but songs that never got my attention really, except for Dancing December, I always liked that one.
I'm curious about what do you, Anders, think about Velvet Thorns.

FRACTURED!¿! :confused: WTF is up with all the hate? The best pre LFDGD song imo.

Untrue? Dancing December? RELENTION?

nah. sorry. don't agree....at least he doesn't cuss down the delay guitar part on Dancing December cause i think that's one of the best pieces of guitar music i've ever heard. I rate Untrue cause it's the heaviest thing they've done and the riff itself is nice...and Relention is one of my favourites so yeah.

Speaking of Sounds of Decay, is there any way at all to hear the first recorded version of it? Mikael Akerfeldt told me about it (at the Opeth DVD screening, i went straight up to him talking about Brave Murder Day ("i masturbate furiously to that record", I hope he'll remember that lol), might have been the only person there to mention Katatonia to him as he seemed surprised)..or does it not exist anymore? I assume those sessions are where "Untrue" comes from, given the rougher sound.

I can't remember "Dancing December" right now, so I can't really comment (yes I do have the album). *goes to Youtube* It's alright.

Definitely agree with "Epistel".

Never really considered "Untrue" to be a real song...more of just a...I don't know really. I don't dislike it though.

I don't mind "Relention". I like the music and atmosphere in the song. Always kinda thought the chorus was a bit strange, I must admit.

"Fractured" is alright. Guess I'm pretty neutral towards it. I sometimes skip it if it comes up and I sometimes don't.

I can't remember "Dancing December" right now, so I can't really comment (yes I do have the album). *goes to Youtube* It's alright.

Definitely agree with "Epistel".

Never really considered "Untrue" to be a real song...more of just a...I don't know really. I don't dislike it though.

I don't mind "Relention". I like the music and atmosphere in the song. Always kinda thought the chorus was a bit strange, I must admit.

"Fractured" is alright. Guess I'm pretty neutral towards it. I sometimes skip it if it comes up and I sometimes don't.

Epistel is a song but Untrue isn't?

Epistel maybe yes... however it has that end of the world atmosphere, feeling on it and it really scares the hell out of you when you listen to it at midnight.

Untrue..? Really? Yeah maybe the distorted part is altough the clean sections with wind sounds are great. Again, with a feeling of getting lost in a desert, a barren land and extremely surreal. Adds to the atmosphere of the Sounds of Decay and a great closure for me.

Relention is not a "top" song of Katatonia... It is not the "least" either. The opening riff, western sounding clean guitars(could be baritone) and some nice keyboard in chorus. The outro is the best part and really good in my opinion...

Fractured is probably the only one I agree with. A good song indeed but is one of the least Katatonia songs in my list... No Devotion on the other hand, is wonderful from beginning to the end...

...and Dancing December, well, I listened to it only a couple of times so I skip on deciding on that one... However, not a song that reflects Katatonia's sound that much I can say...

Btw they all are songs since they have "lyrics". Even Epistel have lyrics, I remember Anders once talked about it in an interview.