Kayo Dot

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Its nice to see a talented and inventive band pushing the limits of music. I was getting worried for a while, the only inventive stuff ive heard in the last year was ephel duath( which was more interesting than it was good music) and Khanate ( which is not somehthing one pops in the cd player all the time). So, does anyone else think Kayo DOt is far superior to Maudlin?

Whats sweet to you may be bitter to me, and vice versa. I cannot disagree with you Planetary as I could never disagree that Maudlin wasnt a bad of genius. How does one compare two superb yet different bands? I suppose I shoul have asked myself that question before i started this lousy post.

However let me offer my humble opnion; to me Kayo Dot is a complete yet chaotic sonicscape that is fully realized, whereas Maudlin was sort of an attmept to throw as much chaos together without being a truly realized piece of music. I really wish i had taken some composition classes- but i go with what i hear.

Just like to get some people talking about this band on this gen music board- i am growing tired of the usual lists and battles over semantics.

I only like about 3 songs from Bath and LYBM, so I wasn't expecting much from 'Choirs of The Eye' but it totally blew me away. When "The Manifold Curiosity" drops at 4:48 thoroughly owns me. Its a piece of music that always makes me stop what i'm doing and listen. The last passage where its going mental is quality aswell, especially at 13:39 when the blasts and screaming kick in.

I found that 'CoTE' flowed a lot better and Toby's er... homosexual enunciations ( :erk: ) didn't piss me off this time round.

Here's a spoon for you to eat my ass.

spoon.jpg

I think they are both very good... though for some reason I would not even compare them... and Ephel Duath is the shit! I've loved them since demo days (not too long ago heh)

Kayo Dot are way more interesting sounding and harder to get into than Maudlin of the Well. Whilst Maudlin of the Well had a jazzier approach to their composition, Kayo Dot seems to focus more on modern classical music(like Messiaen) composition.

I myself prefer Maudlin of the Well more, mainly because I love my metal and they have heavier dynamics. Gleam in Ranks just blows me away. Kayo Dot are chill out music, I wouldn't even call it metal(maybe at some parts of some songs).

And yes Ephel Duath is the shit :D

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Kayo Dot are chill out music, I wouldn't even call it metal(maybe at some parts of some songs).
Hardly. Parts of the songs are quiet and dreamy but its usually broken up with heavy guitars and screaming. They're not a metal band.

True, alot of their dreamy parts are interrupted(or so to say) by heavy distortion. It's really quite a mindfuck experience. I stand corrected... Recently I had to sit through one of my mates who was on acid freaking out on Kayo Dot, it was quite funny.