Kazrog KClip 1.0 Released

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
New plugin release time!

http://kazrog.com/2015/05/15/kclip-1-0-released/

So, as you guys know, a while back I said I was pursuing making a clipper. While building the forthcoming Recabinet 4.1 update, I figured it would be a good idea to have a sandbox, without the burden of all the legacy code from Recabinet 3.x, to develop new UI and tech for 4.1.

The pursuit of the most ideal, linear phase oversampling for the purpose of high gain guitars also happens to be a very big advantage in mastering. The result is that when set to 16x oversampling (the default), KClip beats the competition at reducing aliasing noise (that nasty, amusical stuff that happens as a result of digital distortion) by up to -50dB! I have yet to find any other clipper that comes close (the best competitor still has 20dB more aliasing noise!)

Also, you get the adjustable clipping shape (from hard to soft) that you may be used to in other clippers - the difference is that the sound is much smoother, and you can get things even louder with full transparency and clarity. KClip is also awesome for adding saturation to tracks within a mix (synths, bass, vox, etc.), particularly when set on the softer clipping side.

Recabinet users can get it for only $9.99. Recabinet VIP members get it FREE (it's in your account, just log in!) For everyone else, it's only $19.99 - cheaper than any other commercial clipper out there. If I sound more excited than usual, to the point of being obnoxious, I'm very sorry - I'm just really excited about this plugin. :lol:

Kazrog, I have a question for you.
I already read the manual about interstage peaks and guard switch.
If I understand correctly, after raising the gain to my needs I have to turn the output a bit down to avoid peaks going over that level.

But if I don't want my output to go over precise level, lets say -0.3dB FS, how can I do that (while of course keeping oversampling on max) ?

Awesome news. I'll download and install this when 4.1 is launched since it shouldn't be too far off. I'm really looking forward to the 4.1 update. Kind of curious as to what the new interface is going to look like.

Just tested this. Might well have instantly become my new favourite maximizer in the software domain.

Better than Ozone 5, Ermz? I ask because I bought that after buying your mixing guide.

Is there an easy way to include a gain reduction meter with this? I'll most likely be buying it either way, but I do like that feature of the T-racks clipper

Better than Ozone 5, Ermz? I ask because I bought that after buying your mixing guide.

Ozone 6 is what I've been shooting it out against. It's at the very least on-par, if not better in some ways. As it's a straight clipper it can get a little more crackly than Ozone, but it has a different tone which may suit some projects better. Either way, it's a definite must-have for the toolbox at such a low price. As its so simple, it's hard to set it wrong too, so it'd be great for beginners.

PS. I love that it doesn't have metering. You just set the dials, use your ears, bam, done.

Ermz, is this something that you're using on a master buss, drum group, or individual tracks? Or all of the above in different ways?

I usually find myself clipping 1-2 dB off snares, drum busses, and the master buss depending on what's happening.

Is there an easy way to include a gain reduction meter with this? I'll most likely be buying it either way, but I do like that feature of the T-racks clipper
I own the T-Racks clipper as well and like it on drums.

Ozone 6 is what I've been shooting it out against. It's at the very least on-par, if not better in some ways. As it's a straight clipper it can get a little more crackly than Ozone, but it has a different tone which may suit some projects better. Either way, it's a definite must-have for the toolbox at such a low price. As its so simple, it's hard to set it wrong too, so it'd be great for beginners.

PS. I love that it doesn't have metering. You just set the dials, use your ears, bam, done.

Awesome. Sounds like a winner.

Kazrog, I have a question for you.
I already read the manual about interstage peaks and guard switch.
If I understand correctly, after raising the gain to my needs I have to turn the output a bit down to avoid peaks going over that level.

But if I don't want my output to go over precise level, lets say -0.3dB FS, how can I do that (while of course keeping oversampling on max) ?

There's really no way to do that in any plugin, and there are technical reasons for that. The good thing is that KClip allows you to engage the guard once you have your level set ahead of it.

One feature that I will be adding very soon is a "ceiling" slider to adjust the output level of the guard itself, so that you can get to a precise level at the end stage. As long as you manage your output level going into the guard, you will retain all the benefits of oversampling - only the occasional overages (if any) will add a very small amount of temporary aliasing noise (still -20dB or so lower than equivalent settings in other plugins.)

Thank you for your answer.
I asked this because with GClip, with 2x oversampling on and clip knob on 97%, the output signal never go beyond -0.3 dB.
Same with any limiter I know (Elephant with oversampling on any value, or L1 for example but I don't know if this one uses oversampling).

So the guard default output level in this version is 0dB, right ?

Thank you for your answer.
I asked this because with GClip, with 2x oversampling on and clip knob on 97%, the output signal never go beyond -0.3 dB.
Same with any limiter I know (Elephant with oversampling on any value, or L1 for example but I don't know if this one uses oversampling).

So the guard default output level in this version is 0dB, right ?

Exactly 0dB, yes. The signal path of the plugin goes as follows:
input->gain->output->guard (if engaged)

In the mean time, if you pull your master fader down, you can adjust the post-guard level. I'll be adding the Ceiling control very soon. :)

Ozone 5 is useful in so many ways besides the Maximizer. Regardless, I don't think Ozone has an actual clipper (the Maximizer is a Limiter), so it's different from KClip anyway