Kemper Profiling Amp

Just a heads up to tgs , not sure if you know but you can save presets of effects as well.
You could get the setting on say the studio eq that fixes the inaccuracy then store it and just leave it out of the refining process and turn it on when it is finished.

But yeah already an awesome product , if they could bring it a touch closer even more awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of that option, yes, and while it could serve as a quick fix it would reserve bands on the EQ that could be used for something else, plus boosting a bit around 110 doesn't sort out the issue below 100Hz. Using the shelving band makes it worse, even.

Thanks for the tip. I've been busy so I haven't had time to try this out until now. I ran a few test rounds with various settings of the power sagging and compression;
Sagging at 0, comp at 0;
sagging at 5, comp at 0;
sagging at 5, comp at 5;
sagging at 10, comp at 0;
sagging at 10, comp at 5.

Unfortunately it didn't address the frequency discrepancy.

Here is a summary of the test. Since the lines are overlapping so much it's difficult to tell them apart, so I won't reveal which is which. The main difference between them though seems to indicate that the difference is in level across the entire frequency spectrum.

PS_C.JPG

I zoomed in a bit on the x axis to make it easier to see; see scale. In hindsight including a graph for the original amp signal may have been wise, but it's still easy to see how little changing the parameters affects the frequency range.

While changing these parameters may alter the playability or feel (I haven't looked into that and it's not as easy to accurately test) it unfortunately doesn't do anything to remedy the lack of content around 100-120Hz and the increase of content below 100Hz.

this one the lower frequencies look closer, if sag/compress didn't change it how did you get this one closer?

So combining the Mark 4 with anything sounded like dogshit for some reason. I have some really cool 5153+Recto profiles now though, considering sharing one of them. We'll see! I'll be uploading some of the single-amp profiles for sure.

Could it be a phase issue? i heard hetfield had a phase inverted mod to his triaxis running mk2c+ and the reason was to get the mark work together with rectifier, has something to to with how many gain stages the amp has i think. If i understand correctly the phase change every time you add a gain stage? and in this case maybe the mark does not have same amount of stages?
Do you have an ABY pedal? i had a lehle little dual and that pedal had a button to solve the phase issue that could happend.

Btw i really want a good mark iv profile so if you decide to share one of yours please choose that amp ;)

I did a profile today from axe-fx and the profile actually had MORE bottom end than the source.
When I first did it , I didn't play the upper range of the guitar and it had a nasty spike up in the high range. That vanished once I refined it and played a few lead lines.....
interesting

They mention somewhere in the kemper manual that profiling is designed to work with real amps. Software amps or modelers have a very different design so the profiling results may vary, although it clearly can generate great spot on results.
Here is a video by Keith Merrow profiling his Axe fx. Strangely some Axe users didn't like that and I read his post on the FAS forum that he got hate mails for doing it. Post 15 in this link. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/48087-kemper-profiling-axe-standard.html

Video demonstrating the Axe fx getting profiled by the kemper.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news regarding the LSD Profile Pack? I'm really looking forward to that one :)

I've had my Kemper for a few weeks now, and so far i'm really digging it. It's not 100% there yet, but i feel some of that comes from hearing a miced up signal rather than having the amp blasting and pushing lots of air. Still, it's a great unit, and the possibilities are endless :D :D :D

I have one question regarding profiling though: Is it normal that the kemper sometimes puts a green screamer in the chain when you just did a new profile? E.g. i profiled my marshall jvm straight in (no OD used), stored the profile, and when i dialed it up in the browser it had the ts sim in the chain. I wonder if it just does that to match the tightness of the profiled amp signal, or if i have accidentally locked the screamer or something?
Btw, does anyone else feel that the modeled booster/od stomps don't sound that great when compared to a real one? Most of them seem to add a certain high mid spike that doesn't feel and sound like putting a real OD in front of the profiled amp....but maybe that's just me ;-)

Also, how do you guys go about dialing up your live tones? Sometimes it's kinda hard to judge - even with the studio monitors turned up really loud - how the profile will behave through a full range high powered PA system - especially the extreme lows and highs are somewhat difficult to get right imho. Fletcher Munson obviously plays a huge role here too. Anyone got some in-depth pointers and/or ideas how to get the best possible live tone out of it?

Any news regarding the LSD Profile Pack? I'm really looking forward to that one :)

I've had my Kemper for a few weeks now, and so far i'm really digging it. It's not 100% there yet, but i feel some of that comes from hearing a miced up signal rather than having the amp blasting and pushing lots of air. Still, it's a great unit, and the possibilities are endless :D :D :D

I have one question regarding profiling though: Is it normal that the kemper sometimes puts a green screamer in the chain when you just did a new profile? E.g. i profiled my marshall jvm straight in (no OD used), stored the profile, and when i dialed it up in the browser it had the ts sim in the chain. I wonder if it just does that to match the tightness of the profiled amp signal, or if i have accidentally locked the screamer or something?
Btw, does anyone else feel that the modeled booster/od stomps don't sound that great when compared to a real one? Most of them seem to add a certain high mid spike that doesn't feel and sound like putting a real OD in front of the profiled amp....but maybe that's just me ;-)

Also, how do you guys go about dialing up your live tones? Sometimes it's kinda hard to judge - even with the studio monitors turned up really loud - how the profile will behave through a full range high powered PA system - especially the extreme lows and highs are somewhat difficult to get right imho. Fletcher Munson obviously plays a huge role here too. Anyone got some in-depth pointers and/or ideas how to get the best possible live tone out of it?

I agree with everything. I think in v2 it was said they tried to model the screamer closer to the maxon. Not sure which version you're using.

They have stated that info earlier on the kemper forum and its sad they couldn't follow through with their initial upgrade plans. Doing so would result in the units losing their safety certificates for electrical devices.

Any other neutral power amp of choice will do great and if it's important to put one in the back of the kemper then this is a good option from kpa-solutions. It's not designed by kemper (it's Ritter I think) but it's still a power amp with the same purpose and it comes in three forms.
http://www.kpa-solutions.com/camplifier/
(I've also read that Matrix is working on something)

Here is their DIY installation instruction video of their Camplifier.

Hi guys,

after the massive positiv feedback about our Kemper MetalPack, we decided to do some more work with Northern Gateway Productions @ToneVision Studios in Berlin.
We updated the first pack with additional miking(Audix i5), which complemented the pack very well. All customers, who bought the first pack, will receive an email with the new files for free. The pack has grown from 30 to 54 profiles.

We also did two more packs:

MetalPack V2.0
- Engl Fireball 100, Engl Retro, Diezel Herbert
- Engl Pro 412, Engl OS 412
- Sm57, Audix i5
- total of 41 profiles

BlendPack V1.0
- EVH 5150 III, Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Engl Fireball 100, Diezel Herbert, Engl Retro
- Engl Pro 412, Mesa OS 412
- Sm57, Audix i5, MD421, AEA R84

For this pack we were looking for some different tones. It consists of different blendings of mics and amps. A total of 28 profiles.

You can find solo and samples in the mix, on my soundcloud page(DI + Backing by Mago & Lasse):
https://soundcloud.com/tonyschumacher

And for the lazy ones, a direct link to a sample of the Fireball 100, with the Engl Pro 412 and the audix i5.

And the link to our shop:
http://ngp.bigcartel.com/
1069905_429618120486150_615599818_n.jpg