Kemper Profiling Amp

I always liked the Kemper but I've been cautious because I have no amps and no access to amps to profile. These ampfactory profiles change everything. Jeff, man these guitars sound killer! Some of the best I've ever heard!

Holy shit, that 6505 amp factory tone sounds LEGIT!

FML, I don't really want to spend the cash on the profiles, though... Are there any good ones in the free packs? I still haven't tried them yet :(

Jeff, take the blanket off the Mids a little bit and boost the Presence and you will be there!

It's just too dark at the moment. Reference it to the original mix. It's not up to your REAL AMP tones at the moment. A little tweaking and you will get there though. Again, reference the ORIGINAL mix. :Smokedev: My opinion of course. :D

Spdif sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies:( I'm going to update to the latest firmware and see if they have improved it.

Amazing clips JeffTD!!! Best metal clips I've heard from the Kemper. I must get an OD808. Have you used the stock Green Screamer at all?

A tip of anyone wanting to make their clean tones bigger/wider is to put a delay at the end and set it to 1/32(I think, will check later).

Probably a sync or cabling problem dude, doubt it's the firmware.

Just searched it on the forum and a lot of users have this problem. I have a new spdif cable with everything set to 44.1 khz on interface and in the DAW.

Found this in the changelog of the latest update so hopefully this fixes it.
- changed: SPDIF improved

Firmware 1.5.1 is out:
http://kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/170/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

Jeff, take the blanket off the Mids a little bit and boost the Presence and you will be there!

It's just too dark at the moment. Reference it to the original mix. It's not up to your REAL AMP tones at the moment. A little tweaking and you will get there though. Again, reference the ORIGINAL mix. :Smokedev: My opinion of course. :D

I agree actually; I tend to go for darker tones and didn't reference the original - this bit me in the ass. I still think the Kemper sounds more than convincing in that example, like I wouldn't think it wasn't a real amp if I wasn't told otherwise and I would be fine using it in a final production. Post EQ would fix a lot of the midrange issue, and there's still the fact that I haven't actually profiled an amp, but have been using profiles done by other people; I'm confident that once I get my own profiles made that it'll be damn near perfect.

Amazing clips JeffTD!!! Best metal clips I've heard from the Kemper. I must get an OD808. Have you used the stock Green Screamer at all?

I have; it's more abrasive, thinner, and grainy than the OD808. The Maxon has a really smooth top end and doesn't kill as much bottom end, overall sounds 'bigger' and more natural for lack of a better term.

I have; it's more abrasive, thinner, and grainy than the OD808. The Maxon has a really smooth top end and doesn't kill as much bottom end, overall sounds 'bigger' and more natural for lack of a better term.

+1 to that. Mentioned it on the Kemper forum like half a yar ago but Mr. Kemper wasn't agreeing, saying it sounds exactly like his TS 808. Even with the tone all the way to the left it kills a little too much bass and doesn't sound as smooth as the Maxon. But it's ok and has done it for me live. On records I'd always prefer the Maxon though. Who knows maybe they'll overhaul the GReen Scream one day?

Here's my attempt to cure my kemper GAS which is pretty severe...
I did this with TSE 808 2.0, revalver mkIII and some match EQing and I tried to recreate the tone Jeff posted earlier of the 6505 kemper profile:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/316805/roseSharynRevIII.mp3

I'd forgot how great revalver can sound, definitely the best ampsim I've used. I'm afraid this cure with only be temporary though since the kemper is supposed to do so much more.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into a comparison thread, it's just that it was related to a specific tone posted here and I didn't want to start a whole new thread about it. But if there is any objection I can remove it.

Looking forward to hear more kemper clips.

Not sure if this video has been posted before, but I just stumbled on it, and the Kemper sounds pretty damn good in the comparison at the end.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSrk2PcWevQ&feature=related[/ame]

Damn, sounds pretty much identical in the end.

It's really close, but it actually sounds better than the real amp to me there at the end... it's just slightly cleaner and brighter sounding (in a good way)...

It seems like the Kemper retains the overall character/feel of what's being sent into it with some small differences in the bass and treble areas, but those differences can then be fixed by refining and tweaking the EQ knobs to add a little extra bass and/or treble, which can help you nail the exact mic'd up sound or even improve on it. Ken even says something similar in the video... that he sometimes likes the final result from the Kemper even more than the original amp. If I could get similar results out of it I would be totally happy with the Kemper. I still want to hear some bass profiles & clean tones though... I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to nail the sound of mic'd up Ampeg/Mesa bass rig or Fender/JC120 clean tone, but I'd still like to hear it before dropping the money on one...

It is VERY close. I prefer the real amp, more thump in the lows. And the Kemper seems to add a bit of extra edge and harshness in the upper mids that isn't in the original, but overall it has absolutely captured the whole character of the gain in the amp.

Would love to hear a in the mix blind comparison between the raw amp, the Kemper profile of it (raw), and the Kemper profile with post-eq.
Any of you Kemper owners game for it?

I must admit when I first heard of the Kemper and what it could do, I wasn't very impressed. After listening to the clips of the free user submitted profiles and TheAmpFactory's commercial profiles I have developed a massive GAS for it!