Kemper Profiling Amp

Jeff, could I try out some of the profiles you made? I've only found two free ones online that I thought were workable so far. One was Keith Merrow's 5150 profile and the other is a Mesa Mark 4 Lead profile that I'm not sure who made.
Odd that you're into those ones - my favorites of the free stuff have been the ILM profiles, but I can't say I've dug any others.

Here's my 5150+808 profiles from the clip you said was lifeless and un-amp like.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/Misc/Kemper Profiles/5150 808 - 2012-11-04 20-44-20.kipr.zip

Odd that you're into those ones - my favorites of the free stuff have been the ILM profiles, but I can't say I've dug any others.

Here's my 5150+808 profiles from the clip you said was lifeless and un-amp like.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/Misc/Kemper Profiles/5150 808 - 2012-11-04 20-44-20.kipr.zip

I haven't seen the ILM profiles. I'll look for them. Thanks for these, downloading now.

Which of the new amp factory ones in the metal pack turned out best in your opinion?

Sorry, there's only one in there, kind of misspoke. JSX and Krank models are my favorite from the metal pack.

I have to be honest and say that I don't like any of the TillS cabs; they're all too dark/dull and not very '3d' compared to the TAF packs or even my own personal cabs.

To be honest, I haven't bought the amp factory pack yet to compare it to, but tills ones did make alot of the free profiles sound alot better than the did before, well to me anyway.

Will be picking up the amp factory's packs very soon to compare it too.

Jeff, have you come across any good punk ones you recommend? I use od1 orange on my jvm410 when jamming and quite like that. That's paired with my vintage modern cab. There is a jvm one from rig exchange I've been using, but was curious if any of the amp factory ones had grabbed you for that sort of stuff?

The profile you shared is one of the best I've tried so far, Jeff. You were right about the ILM profiles too. Some of them are kinda meh, but a few of them are awesome and very usable.

So far, not having made any of my own profiles, my opinion is this: The Kemper gives much greater instant satisfaction than the Axe-FX did for me, and it feels very much like a real amp in the lows. Palm mutes and chugging respond like you would expect a real amp and cab to, which feels nice to play. The only thing I'm having trouble with so far is getting the highs to sound present and clear, but still smooth... The highs can get pretty crispy and kinda artificial sounding. I imagine the Kemper kills through a poweramp and cab though... The feel is already there and the guitar cab speakers would filter out those unnatural highs.

Jeff, have you come across any good punk ones you recommend? I use od1 orange on my jvm410 when jamming and quite like that. That's paired with my vintage modern cab. There is a jvm one from rig exchange I've been using, but was curious if any of the amp factory ones had grabbed you for that sort of stuff?

The Orange, AC30, and JVM Satch have been cool, especially when you change cabs. I've been using my own personal JVM profile for that kind of stuff lately, OD1 on green mode.

The profile you shared is one of the best I've tried so far, Jeff. You were right about the ILM profiles too. Some of them are kinda meh, but a few of them are awesome and very usable.

So far, not having made any of my own profiles, my opinion is this: The Kemper gives much greater instant satisfaction than the Axe-FX did for me, and it feels very much like a real amp in the lows. Palm mutes and chugging respond like you would expect a real amp and cab to, which feels nice to play. The only thing I'm having trouble with so far is getting the highs to sound present and clear, but still smooth... The highs can get pretty crispy and kinda artificial sounding. I imagine the Kemper kills through a poweramp and cab though... The feel is already there and the guitar cab speakers would filter out those unnatural highs.

Glad you dig it, still haven't put it up on the Rig Exchange but will probably do that soon. See what changing the cabinets in other profiles does when you use my cabinet instead of the stock - could help a lot if other profiles with potential that aren't quite there.

I know what you mean about the top end; check out the EQ I have in the X block of my profile. I use the same EQ curve (just set it to 'lock') on all of my gainy profiles that really helps clear out the top end quite a bit.

They "may" work but it is a common misconception. Even though the signal is digital, it is still transmitted through the wire via an analog carrier at very high frequencies. So the cable still matters. What you get with extra cheap cables are clock errors and signal degradation that have to be corrected. It may not even sync.

Either the cable works or not. Any possible degradation would be if you're using cables longer than 30 feet or 10 meters. Still, you'd have sound or no sound.

A regular cheap RCA would do just fine unless it's broken.

I received mine yesterday and bought the Amp Factory metal pack. This is easily the best piece of gear I've ever owned. I've only made one profile so far, my other amps are at the rehearsal space, but it got amazingly close considering I'd never used a Kemper before. I've been playing with it for a few hours, it feels as if there's a real amp miced up in the live room. Amazing.

Had first profiling session today (I don't own any real amps) when my friends band were recording their new song and asked me to come over. Damn is this thing impressive, and the profiling is a lot of fun!

It became evident pretty quickly that you need to refine the profiles many times to get them really match, I think for metal rhytms I refined the profile about 10 times. Here's a quick clip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3603462/KemperProfilingTest.wav (Zero post processing, no bass and horrible playing)

I made it at our schools control room, so I'm not totally familiar with monitoring environment but I hope it doesn't sound complete shit.

Had first profiling session today (I don't own any real amps) when my friends band were recording their new song and asked me to come over. Damn is this thing impressive, and the profiling is a lot of fun!

It became evident pretty quickly that you need to refine the profiles many times to get them really match, I think for metal rhytms I refined the profile about 10 times. Here's a quick clip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3603462/KemperProfilingTest.wav (Zero post processing, no bass and horrible playing)

I made it at our schools control room, so I'm not totally familiar with monitoring environment but I hope it doesn't sound complete shit.

Sounds great:devil: could you share the profile maybe?

I received mine yesterday and bought the Amp Factory metal pack. This is easily the best piece of gear I've ever owned. I've only made one profile so far, my other amps are at the rehearsal space, but it got amazingly close considering I'd never used a Kemper before. I've been playing with it for a few hours, it feels as if there's a real amp miced up in the live room. Amazing.

are there different choices mic's choices in the pack too or just sm57?

It became evident pretty quickly that you need to refine the profiles many times to get them really match, I think for metal rhytms I refined the profile about 10 times.

What were you playing to refine it? I never have to refine more than once and I'm pretty sure it 'resets' itself when you start refining again. I always play some chunky rhythms, then some octave parts, then some lead lines, and end with some open chordal work; the full spectrum of the guitar, really. After that it's perfect. Just chugging or just lead work ends up with sub-par results IMO.

are there different choices mic's choices in the pack too or just sm57?

Each amp was profiled with 3 different mic setups.

Sounds great could you share the profile maybe?
Sounds great man! What amp is that?

Thank you!

The amp is Engl Powerball.. :D I know, I was very suspicious about profiling it considering the bashing it always received but considering that the profiles turned out ok. It definitely isn't as mean sounding as 5150 for example and it's maybe a bit too round but it could have it's uses somewhere. I'll drop the profiles I made here as soon as I have the time!

What were you playing to refine it? I never have to refine more than once and I'm pretty sure it 'resets' itself when you start refining again. I always play some chunky rhythms, then some octave parts, then some lead lines, and end with some open chordal work; the full spectrum of the guitar, really. After that it's perfect. Just chugging or just lead work ends up with sub-par results IMO.

Thanks for the input, I think you are right. I played mostly chugging and open chord stuff, and occasionally the tone would go worse after another refining. I think the mistake I made was playing too short clips for the Kemper to refine. I'll try that next time when I get the chance to profile something.