KERRANG OH MY GOD!!! (when i say my god, i mean myself)

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
i went to someones house yesterday, and played a bit of BWP, which was surprisingly not enjoyed by most people there, and when the drapery falls came on, my friend said hes heard it before, it came on a kerrang cd :eek: , but get this, it was an edit, all the way up to the growls :( :mad: , bastards!!!! im upset, also one friend said the moor reminded her of the river dance musical thingy :mad: , im upset :cry:

yeah kerrang has really gone downhill, its full of all this mallc0re shit now, no room for anything with even a hint of musical credibility....., ah well theres always metal hammer...

Thats really depressing But as Wayne said, THEY´RE NOT WORTHY of something as great as Opeth. Now if that comment about riverdance hasn´t made you furious enough you shall buy (if you don´t already have it) Slayer´s God hates us all, This album will bring forth every possible and impossible feelings of hate and agression. Proceed to viciously slaugther them with any blunt (for increased and longer pain) weapon such as they "Mighty Flail of fury" or The Opeth-mace of vengence, Both weapons intended for the followers of Opeth sacrilege.

Some one at Kerrang told me they'll be doing a two page piece on Opeth to tie in with the UK dates. They've got a new writer called Dom Lawson (the same guy that gave the re-issues kkkkk each) who apparently played the CDs to death in the office and now most of the writers there have finally "got" what they're all about.

Lee

metal hammer is no better than kerrang really...they did put drapery on their cover cd (again just the edit)...terrorizer is the only mag worth geting...they had a 2 page interview with 'peth a couple of months back...

yeah, Terrorizer is much better, although as ive been saying, its been getting worse each month now for the past 2-3 issues :cry: , earlier this year my friend showed me a kerrang with Opeth in it, talking about BWP. i had to steal it off him and put the cool pic on my wall. :D but as for Kerrang readers reading opeth articles, hmn, not sure about that. :err: if they havent got masks on, i doubt they will read it. (wow, i love sweeping generalisations)

Labels pay for the tracks to go on the cover CDs so the fact that Opeth were on the Hammer and Kerrap comps was simply a financial matter.

From what I remember it's about £1,000 for Kerrang, £500 for MH and about £300 for Terrorizer.

Terrorizer's getting worse? Maybe that's to do with the fact that the new editor used to write for Melody Maker and doesn't really know much about the metal / extreme scene? The same could have been said for Nick Terry, but he surrounded himself with knowledgable staff and fed off of that to varying degrees of success.

I think the new editor is trying too hard to broaden the magazine's horizons. He trying to capture some of the Wired magazine crowd by including the more esoteric elements of the underground scene, but that's not really what Terrorizer is meant to be for. Terrorizer was never supposed to be a highbrow read, just an informative one. It's roots are from the ashes of the late lamented Thrash And Burn (the Metal Forces offshoot for those old enough to remember), and those roots are firmly in metal territory. I think it's time they moved the goalposts back before they alienate even more readers.

I'm drunk and I fucking LOVE metal! Hails to you all!

Lee B

Both Kerrang and the english Metal Hammer suck big time! :D
Terrorizer is Ok,but to be honest i'm not so impressed...(and btw,we don't get its Cd here). Some issues are good,some simply suck...Definitely it's not the best magazine around,but so far I haven't found any better english metal magazine anyway....
I hate it when songs in compilations come in and "edit version" which is not actually fully representative of the bands... it gives the wrong opinion to the public....but anyway in magazine-Cds it is an often occurence

Btw,the magazine situtaion is not better here in greece...My favourite greek magazine (Metal invader) has probably stopped...I haven't seen an issue of it the last 2 months and their webpage is off..... Some other 3 metal magazines we have here are CRAP,I can't believe there are people who buy them!!!
:eek: :eek:
So,here we have only the greek Metal Hammer,which has never been my favourite magazine.....at least it has more interviews and stuff than it used to have in the past

Anyway,hopefully I can still get some cool zines and read some cool webzines...

I had a similar experiance- played the new Katatonia to someone, she said 'gee, it sounds really pop-ie'. Now, this is from someone who is not a metaler and infact does listen to pop. Not something I ever wanted to hear :mad:

And IMHO Terrorizer started to go down hill a couple years ago, when Tipton left, and Whalen started to take more of a back seat in terms of article/review writing. I used to always agree with their reviewers, and so I really started to value their opinions- I discovered alot of cool bands that I took a chance on because they said so. Now, I frequently disagree with the new staff, I don't even buy it any more, usually read it in the shop, but don't take it very seriously.
And I don't get the cover cd, either :cry: :mad:

Scream Magazine here in Norway isn't bad, at least not compared to the likes of Kerrang. Any mag that's co-owned by a certain drummer from Borknagar can't be bad.

I'm drunk and I fucking LOVE metal! Hails to you all!

Lee B

:lol:goggly:

Fuckin' rights man! ;)

Anyway.. has anyone outside of Canada read "Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles"? It's cheap, never more than $6, comes with a cd with about 10 FULL tracks from new bands, and packed with info.

They had a really good, long interview with Opeth when BWP came out. I bought them at the same time and read it before I had a chance to listen to the cd. Was a GOOD interview! Really literate, pretty in-depth if I recall.

So if you can find it.. look for it. "Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles," (usually BWBK)

tbh i really only ever buy metal hammer when theres a cover cd, theyre usually not too bad, but i havent really got much choice since kerrang and metal hammer are the only metal related magz i can get (never even seen terrorizer) :(

Duvall beat me to it...

What you guys need are some Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. Very informative articles (sooo much text), by writers who know what they're talking about (they've been to the concerts, they've talked to the bands, they LOVE the music), for a good price, including CD's which often have closer to 15-18 tracks, actually, some unsigned stuff, some big names (one issue's CD had one track each from: Blackwater Park, Am Universum, A Predator's Portrait, PEM, and Wishmaster. I was DAMN impressed! It was also the first time I had heard Nightwish. Thank you, BW&BK... *sniff*)

http://www.bravewords.com

Sum 41, for those who dont know are a pop/punk band, and they featured in this months Terrorizer :( , this band would commonly feature in a mag such as Smash Hits or top of the pops! theres nothing metal about them! wtf! im not buying Terrorizer every month anymore! (not just because of that, its just i seem to be reading/flicking through it much quicker now, less in there that interests me :( ) oh well, maybe i'll get the free cd ones, if it looks interesting.

Here in Germany 'Legacy' is the only considerable 'zine. 'Rock Hard' and 'Hammer' (yeah, they got rid of 'metal', it's written in tiny letters now) went downhill long time ago, so just Legacy and - when you lower your sights - 'Ablaze' are left, but the latter mostly features black metal underground stuff and that's not always my cup of tea.