Kevin's Adventures At The Katatonia Show (Tempe,AZ)

LifeDepraved

My soul got a crack
Sep 9, 2002
Phoenix AZ
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Is all I can say about tonight. I saw my favorite band on earth and met them...my life is nearing completion...well maybe it has, but this was the biggest highlight of all time for me. So my brother and I get to the venue, I wasn't sure about bringing my vinyl and camera in because I didn't want to A. Lose or destroy my vinyl or B. Get my camera stolen...So I left them in the car. So I get in, find out I can leave the place if you're over 21 and still come back in...fuckin a! So I just wait til I see Katatonia to get my stuff signed.

So First up we have Daylight Dies...And man oh man they were on top of it. I growled along to some of the stuff (I seemed to be the only one :( ) But It was cool...The guitarist on the left side gave me some smiles so I felt I did a good job. We chatted about their new video for like 10 seconds...They made it in a day...sweet...yeah..So they played 5 songs from DD, no older stuff, but it was cool...really got the crowd going..I was loud so I helped out hehe.

And then the cream of the crop, the sharpest knifes in the drawer came up to stage, I felt a little school girl yelling each band members names multiple times and even complimenting Daniel on the VIVA EMPTINESS tattoo :D The sound check is done and the lights dim ....I GO FUCKING BALLISTIC!!!!! Shouting KATATONIA from the top of my lungs...then they kick into Leaders and I just go into a mad craze...headbanging, singing my ass off and help getting the crowd going...I started some European style chants with the clapping and the HEY HEY HEY HEY's! Mattias gave me a real big smile...and continued to the whole show...winked at me too...how sweet :p So we go through multiple Great Cold and Viva songs...then DEADHOUSE!!!! I screamed so loud at Anders he just gave me the biggest smile ever...Sorry to be such a fanboy but this was the greatest time of my life...No tonights Decision songs...which was a letdown, but everything coming up made up for it...So basically everything repeats for me (headbanging screaming or singing loudly over the band even sometimes haha) until we get to the moment of truth...MURDER!!!! I just started going into Death Metal Kevin mode and growled a storm...Mattias and Anders looked at each other and smiled and I got some horns from them :D I growl that song like a beast and Anders looks at me most of the time because he knows how awesome I am...we shared a bond for that song...I hope you know...Sad to see the song end, but all of a sudden Anders points his guitar at me like a gun and goes BOOM! And then he gives me his pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS CHOSEN!!! I AM IMMORTAL!!!! ARGGHHHHH!!!!! Sorry again, haha! I was so stoked about that...And I knew I couldnt leave without meeting them.

So after Katatonia I chat with some friends and buy some cool merch (Jacket, Shirt and Wristband thing) Expensive as hell but worth it all...And then we go up to see Moonspell...then out of the corner of my eyes...KATATONIA IS GOING TO THE BAR!!!! I just shook and grabbed my silver marker and Discouraged Ones ad and go find Anders...I spot him and tell him they had a great fucking show...Ander said "You got the pick right?" I said yeah, and I showed him the ad and he was just like "WHOAAAA NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE!" and then mentioned the logo "The logo without the lines makes me dizzy", haha...well I got the sharpie out for him to sign and ....IT DOESNT WORK!!!!! So then Anders said "I guess it wasn't meant to be" So I shook his hand and left him some nice words....But I knew I couldnt just leave empty autographed handed like that.

So I go to watch Moonspell because I just had to hear the new songs live...And they were absolutely crushing...It's a shame half the crowd left after Katatonia...there was like 50-60 left for Moonspell which was sad...but It was still fun...after Moonspell got done playing Alma Mater...I decided to go to the car and get my vinyl and find a new sharpie...after along time I finally found one and rushed back in with my vinyl to get signed by the greatest band on earth....I wait for the unloyal fanboys to get their picture and I move in on Anders and said "I found a new one!" and hes like "Oh but you changed the color on me..ohh ohh" with the funniest face expression ever (I love these Swedes) So I get the vinyls signed and then Anders sees my Diabolical MAsquerade - Nightwork album and looks like he's about to faint...He put his finger over the Nightwork logo and was so happy to see it...he told me some stuff about it, but it was a little loud so missed most of it...But I got the rest signed and wished him the best of luck for the rest of the tour...Then I got the others to sign them...lemme tell you, this is the most coolest band ever, down to the friggin earth! And Then lastly I need Jonas' auto and It was just magical, my vocal hero, meeting him is so awesome...I get my vinyl signed and hes like "Whoaaa big on the vinyl there ah" Of course I said yeah...wished him good luck and the night was over...I just felt that I met them and got autos that I didnt want to bother them too much with getting some pictures...I'm just happy I met my idols and Have a great memory of them that I will cherish til the day I die.

/end fanboy rant

haha

Pictures below:

image027mg7.jpg

image029ob7.jpg

image031kd0.jpg

image033wi8.jpg

image035yz1.jpg

image039qw3.jpg

image061xz4.jpg

katazx5.jpg

kataalbbvt9.jpg

I was there and I was probably near you. I had an Isis shirt on and a backwards hat. I was rocking out front and center second row. Awesome show.

I bought my sweatshirt and wore it the whole time. I was in front of Anders and Mattias headbanging my ass off and singing as loud as possible...I'm sure many people noticed me.

Oh man, wish I'd been there! Just hoping that K will come back to Finland asap.

You bought the zipper hoody too. I ordered mine a week before K left for US tour and got my hoody about two weeks ago. And since that I've been wearing it all the time.:headbang:

Whow Kev... thanx for writing everything down =) it really made me smile *haha*! Hope you didn't steal the band's show with yer singing, screaming and growling *HAHA* :D
Some scenes reminded me a lot of my experiences with teh holy kataz ... *hrhr* ... was a pretty nice read ... and cool stuff you bought... the grey shirt looks quite good =)

I envy you :p

Oh and it's a pity that people left after Katatonia... I mean... I think even if you're not a Moonspell-Fan... it's worth a watch ... you paid for it and I can't imagine anyone having better things to do after a show. ... So folks... go watch Moonspell! ò.Ó

You know, I thought about it and understand why they left...Not a lot of Katatonia fans like "growling"...a lot of confused faces when they played Murder...sooo They might have learned of Katatonia from other bands that use clean vocals a lot and aren't really fans of underground metal...soo I can see where these people wanted to see Katatonia and no one else.

It's all good though, some die hards there for Moonspell...and even though they weren't too loud for them, it was still good for the band. ALMA MATER!!! DUNNNA DUN DUN DUN DUNNN!!

And yeah I know Moonspell has clean vocals on a lot of their stuff, but they played more of their "screamy growly" type stuff...soo yeah.

And a lot of girls showed up out of nowhere and danced...hmm.

They did seem to love kev indeed..
kev I thought you said you didn't bring yer vinyls at all? Guess not, that's fuckin A man fuckin A!! haha you know what i'm sayin.. sweet deal.

I like growling but you know i'm a huge fan of the newer stuff, but I must say murder was great live and in the end i'm glad they played it, also I was surprised at how well jonas was doing through that song. As for moonspell, I just plain don't like their music.

I was also surprised to see how many katatonia fans there was at the show, they should have definitely headlined. maybe next time eh?

damn kev :) *cries along* i wasnt as emotive and i did not get anders pick.. but now u have joined the happiness...lol this message makes no sense btw :p

They did seem to love kev indeed..
kev I thought you said you didn't bring yer vinyls at all? Guess not, that's fuckin A man fuckin A!! haha you know what i'm sayin.. sweet deal.

I like growling but you know i'm a huge fan of the newer stuff, but I must say murder was great live and in the end i'm glad they played it, also I was surprised at how well jonas was doing through that song. As for moonspell, I just plain don't like their music.

I was also surprised to see how many katatonia fans there was at the show, they should have definitely headlined. maybe next time eh?

Yeah man, half the people left after they played...Moonspells crowd was lame...not many people. I hope Katatonia can headline if they come again...I'm sure they will...they got a huge ovation from us...I can tell by their faces they were at least a little suprised by it.

Awesome show. haha, I thought that was you. I am alittle dazed and confused when someone comes up to me with sean or tattooedsean out of the blue.

I was glad to pick up the hoodie.

My buddy hooked me up. I collect drumsticks and when they tossed the two out at the end of the evening , one went right over me fingertips but right into my buddy's hands. He proceeded to give it to me as I am the collector.:headbang:

I enjoyed all 3 bands very very much!